Pheu Thai opposes land and building taxes bill

Lite Beer

Pheu Thai opposes land and building taxes bill

10-3-2558-13-01-20-wpcf_726x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai Party today voiced strong opposition to the proposed land and building taxes bill saying it will inflict more hardship to the people. It proposes tax reduction instead to stimulate economy.

The party’s economy working panel chief Pichai Nariptaphand, former energy minister, said the party strongly opposed the bill as its study has shown that it will inflict more hardship in a larger scale and will force people who could not afford to pay the taxes to sell their land out.

He recalled that there was attempt to propose such bill in the past, but after cautious study of its consequences, it was aborted.

He said study showed that low income earners could not live in same areas with high income earners because they couldn’t afford to pay the tax.

They would be forced to sell out their land and house to pay the taxes, he said.

He said in fact the state could collect taxes from land and house selling at present, and in time of good economy, higher taxes could also be gained.

He said tax idea should come out in time of improved economy.

But as now economy remains poor, tax reduction should be initiated to stimulate economy, he said.

He concluded that collecting land and house tax would worsen the situation and even bring about stagnate economy.

He then urged that the government should review its attempt to collect taxes which will bring troubles to the people as a whole.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pheu-thai-opposes-land-and-building-taxes-bill

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-10

Phew Thai, should condemn their own actions and policies that they forced on the Thai rice farmers and not criticize the present government.

Once more they ignore the good of the country and just trying to look good in the eyes of the people for future vote gains.

The house and land tax should be implemented and it is very overdue.

• Like 2

I read the OP headline and the quoted line below twice with complete disbelief

The Pheu Thai Party today voiced strong opposition to the proposed land and building taxes bill saying it will inflict more hardship to the people

Do PTP actually understand what they inflicted on the whole country or are they just ignoring it and hoping people will forget

I hope the people actually realise why any future government will need to raise taxes - because every single adult in Thailand will be paying dearly for the huge loss that PTP inflicted on them for the next 10 years

Unbelievable ignorance

Actually under ptp governments, thailands growth has been higher than it has with any other government in its history.

It also boasted lower curruption scores than any other government.

Like em or not. Most Thais were doing pretty well until all this trouble started.

• Like 2

The Pheu Thai Party today voiced strong opposition to the proposed land and building taxes bill saying it will inflict more hardship to the people

Do PTP actually understand what they inflicted on the whole country or are they just ignoring it and hoping people will forget

I hope the people actually realise why any future government will need to raise taxes - because every single adult in Thailand will be paying dearly for the huge loss that PTP inflicted on them for the next 10 years

Unbelievable ignorance

Actually under ptp governments, thailands growth has been higher than it has with any other government in its history.

Like em or not. Most Thais were doing pretty well until all this trouble started.

Spot on. The trouble is most people have a jaundiced view of the PTP and it's previous incarnations but as you point out they weren't all bad and achieved a lot in terms of economic growth and healthcare. The current lot are presiding over a slow down and have no idea what they are doing. Soldiers playing at government never do a good job.

• Like 2

Unbelievable ignorance

When I read those lines I sprayed coffee all over my computer screen, again.

Cannot believe what a pack of two-faced, lying scumbags they are. Or the fact that there are supposedly rational, educated farangs out there who support these rats.

Amazing Thailand indeed !

• Like 2

Unbelievable ignorance

In order to see corruption it has to be exposed by the authorities such as DSI Police etc - if those bodies are ultimately controlled by a corrupt government then it will never be exposed or investigated

As for growth - it has to be measured against other factors such as cost of growth - I can build extensions onto my house giving the appearance of massive growth and riches but may no be able to sustain the debt I built up to do it - effectively I am actually broke and need to increase my income somehow - governments do it through taxation

As for Thailands current growth decline - there are many reasons why that is happening - there is also a huge issue that will soon become evident of individual debt levels - they are through the roof

Issues created by previous governments incompetence usually don't materialise until long after they have been removed from office

All pretty basic stuff for those that understand it

• Like 2

Smell the rain coming, hear the thunder clouds in the distance......sounds of bad weather coming!

Shut your widows, closed the doors,

Grab your children, bring in the clothes.

Huddle in the corner, who know whats bestowes

The rain is coming, the airs getting cold.

The wind blows hard against these bamboo poles

The sky's clears up, it not raining after all

Birds are chirping making a lot of noise,

The tax mans not coming, thats what we're told,

Happy and gay, through out the whole day

The tax man is not coming, a least not for today

I got 1000 baht in hand and not wasted today

• Like 1

Regardless of the coloured shirt , most western Governments have this tax , whether that's a good thing remains to be seen, however the government needs to raise revenue in a fair and equality way and what better way than to get the top end of town to part with some of their money , however as I have stated , when bracket creep starts to kick in the peasants start to pay also , the Government will need to watch the bottom line and adjust accordingly, this guy is winging because he has to pay he's way a little more so what.coffee1.gif

Abhisit disagrees with plan to collect text on houses

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva Tuesday expressed opposition to the government's plan to collect taxes on houses whose prices are higher than Bt1.5 million.

Abhisit said many people, who are not rich, may have been living in their houses before the prices have increased because of developments. He said the tax collection might prompt them to leave their houses as they may not be afford paying the tax.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Abhisit-disagrees-with-plan-to-collect-text-on-hou-30255716.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-10

Abhisit disagrees with plan to collect text on houses

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva Tuesday expressed opposition to the government's plan to collect taxes on houses whose prices are higher than Bt1.5 million.

Abhisit said many people, who are not rich, may have been living in their houses before the prices have increased because of developments. He said the tax collection might prompt them to leave their houses as they may not be afford paying the tax.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Abhisit-disagrees-with-plan-to-collect-text-on-hou-30255716.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-03-10

He is too short sighted. Should the market value of the land/house rises due to growth of a town or city, the owner would no longer be poor. He can sell to unlock hidden wealth while relocating further away.

It's interesting that also the previous non-elected government, under Gen. Surayut, tried an inheritance, land and house tax, but was convinced by some that such important issues should be left to be dealt with by elected governments.

Nothing really changed I guess.

any tax, other than VAT, is purely stealing from the people

look at the US ... had to tax normal working people, because the FED, privately owned bank, started to print money and sell to the governement for interest that will never be able to pay it back = (EN)SLAVE(D) people

PTP are just vote catching. No one like paying taxes, that is human nature. But land and property taxes are part of a mature society. The bigger (more valuable) the house/property the more land tax you pay. This is a tax on the landowning classes and is fair. There is a threshold for these taxes and that can be adjusted as property/wealth increases. There is also a higher tax on undeveloped property which should stimulate growth. Now the sting in the tail. Is the Thai government going to collect taxes from 'illegal' farang land owners? We all know the vagaries of the land ownership deal in Thailand. We 'own' our properties, but actually legally we don't. So by collecting land taxes from 'illegal' ownership does this legalise us? Big question. So may I suggest that every farang 'landowner' would be only too happy to pay these taxes if it guaranteed us legality. Please think about that government. Thais can buy property (even football clubs) in Europe/US without restriction, but the Europeans/US citizens are denied the same rights in Thailand, I do not feel the happiness from that situation!

• Like 1

In how many countries in the world do the electorate vote for more taxes?

In which country in the world do the electorate vote for a reduction in government handouts/subsidies and a reduction in government spending on roads, schools, hospitals, etc?

One of the most important subjects in modern life is hardly, if ever, taught in schools - economics.

There is a very strong case for making it a core subject alongside language, science and mathematics.

Edited by attento

In how many countries in the world do the electorate vote for more taxes?

In which country in the world do the electorate vote for a reduction in government handouts/subsidies and a reduction in government spending on roads, schools, hospitals, etc?

One of the most important subjects in modern life is hardly, if ever, taught in schools - economics.

There is a very strong case for making it a core subject alongside language, science and mathematics.

The economics courses, I took, didn't explain how massive corruption fits in.

any tax, other than VAT, is purely stealing from the people

look at the US ... had to tax normal working people, because the FED, privately owned bank, started to print money and sell to the governement for interest that will never be able to pay it back = (EN)SLAVE(D) people

Let's increase VAT to 35% and make all other taxes 0%.

How much tax would a wage earner of Bt12,000 pay compared with one making Bt120,000?