Thai taxi driver returns 4.7 million yen to Japanese tourist

webfact

Simple question, if this is true and I will assume it is, why was that amount of money being carried around? To me it would appear to be very suspicious to have such an amount in Yen in Thailand

Yes, very suspicious for a Japanese to be carrying as much of his own country's currency as he wanted just after arriving in the country from Japan. Are you nuts?

4.7 million in cash, in a bag, from his departure hub to here and no one stopped him for carrying all that cash through customs at both ends? This is pretty fishy. I am pretty certain that there is a limit on the amount of cash that one can carry on the plane or even stow below. I may be wrong, so someone clarify this please.

You're wrong, you can carry as much you want.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nearly $40,000 in cash ! What was the guy doing bringing that into the country ?

It's almost always Americans who tend to ask this. This is Asia where cash reigns. Elsewhere on this thread someone also asked what the Thai authorities have done in relation to this cash. We Asians are not as paranoid as cash users in the U.S.

Across the Pacific there seems to be a consensus of opinion that when you have anything in excess of a bundle of greenbacks you are automatically regarded as someone with a criminal predisposition.

You dont generally carry it around with you in a case.

You do if you want to.

• Like 1

I like to think that this action on the part of a cabbie was most heroic. May he enjoy his reward and may he be honoured. Too often we above all forget the nicer aspects of Thainess. This is one of the main reasons why we are here after all.

TAT staged event. Was the case not locked? Did the taxi driver force the lock open to look inside the case? These stories come up with such regularity, I just don't believe them.

Nothing mentioned that the taxi driver looked into the case, he handed the case into the police, they probably opened it or the Jap guy had reported the case left in the taxi. The police probably had the report from the Jap guy and had his hotel address and sent someone around to get him jumping to conclusions Mate.

Nearly $40,000 in cash ! What was the guy doing bringing that into the country ?

It's almost always Americans who tend to ask this. This is Asia where cash reigns. Elsewhere on this thread someone also asked what the Thai authorities have done in relation to this cash. We Asians are not as paranoid as cash users in the U.S.

Across the Pacific there seems to be a consensus of opinion that when you have anything in excess of a bundle of greenbacks you are automatically regarded as someone with a criminal predisposition.

This guy paid B54000 as a result of carrying cash. A little paranoia might be cheaper.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You dont generally carry it around with you in a case.

You do if you want to.

Yes but It wouldnt be the norm. With large amounts of cash you would buy travellers cheques. The principle for those who do not think is not the amount but if it is lost and you dont get it back there is no recourse. With a Credit card you can stop payment.

As I said before it isnt the amount that confuses me it is the currency. Why carry Yen?

Why does this story keep repeating itself?

Does the Thai tourist board want us to believe that every taxi driver is not a crook whilst they constantly refuse to use the meter.

If everyone in Thailand is so honest why dont the robbers who stole my safe with 4 million baht worth of gold in it return it then.

Why havent the police found it and who took it?

Could it be possible that the police have no intention of finding it.

Get real please, i am sick of hearing these lies portraying honesty in a totally lawless corrupt society where people rob their own family members.

Edited by Transporter

I like to think that this action on the part of a cabbie was most heroic. May he enjoy his reward and may he be honoured. Too often we above all forget the nicer aspects of Thainess. This is one of the main reasons why we are here after all.

Kevin, Take off your rose tinted sunglasses before some Thai person steals them right off your nose.

Why $40.000 is so much for some on this forum???

In 2013 I just wasted $45.000 doll in 5 trips to Los...and first time in my life I just did it on purpose spending on myself and not my ex and my step daughters (leeches).giggle.gif

It was my most happy time in my whole f...g life....

Besides, this days do not travel only to one place in one vacation time....hence you need some more cash specially in Europe..

coffee1.gif .

But did you carry $45k in cash on you? It's no big deal blowing cash it's carrying large portions of it that look suspicious, and spare me the bullshit Sviss Geez, if the Thai cops stopped you and you has over 1 million baht on your person they'd automatically hold you for questioning on suspicion of illegal activities!!

• Like 1

So the Japanese gentleman has 1.3 Million Baht for dental care.... in Thailand that's a heck of a lot of teeth!

Then he left 1.3 Million Baht in a taxi to go shopping (for a pair of matching orange number 3 polo shirts).

I reckon he needs to spend the 1.3 Million Baht on Mental care.

Edited by samsingsong
  • Like 1

Had to look up how much that was - 1,261,849.07 THB! Can't imagine how someone could 'forget' to leave that much behind. That much would be handcuffed to me. biggrin.png

Hard for me to imagine as well, but it happens ... and not only in Thailand.

Some very edifying posts on this thread - TITV.

TAT staged event. Was the case not locked? Did the taxi driver force the lock open to look inside the case? These stories come up with such regularity, I just don't believe them.

Why will he even open someone's luggage if he is really honest about giving it back? Are taxi drivers require to open luggage forgotten in their cabs? If really genuine then he shouldn't have known the content of the luggage. On the other hand, for a man to forget that amount of money in a taxi will mean to me that he is insane. He could not be in his right frame of mind and will be so careless to forget such a sum.