Taxi Scammers - Hit Them Where It Hurts

joesanunu

Maybe I have been lucky when downtown in Bangkok. Last Saturday I missed the last sky train by about a minute, my error. Asked a taxi stopped at the lights if he was using meter and where I was going, quite a long way down Sukumwit to the Bang Na area. No problem.

That was luck I know, as he was not sitting waiting for the late night stranded.However in the past I have refused several taxis who say no meter and eventually one will see that you are not game and agree. Now I prefer to be with a willing driver than a disgruntled one,so time might be needed and to their surprise they get a large tip for getting me home with no fuss or silly driving. Last one that did that, I told him to stop, paid the meter fee and got out. Soon found a better driver.

I agree that reporting might hit them, but their attitude will likely be worse. It is only a problem for me after midnight, as taking the skytrain to the outskirts of Bangkok always solves the issue, all taxis are on meter there.

I do have my own car, but never drive downtown, not worth the time, quicker to use the skytrain.

Of course I realise that it is a case of where you live.

If I did drive to the Nana Asoke area, as I have, I am faced with the same problem as a taxi driver, in how to get to my home. Straight way, down Sukumwit, traffic, traffic , traffic and for a taxi there and back, probably without a pickup on the return journey.Expressway is difficult to access from there, can be done, but a long detour. Or loop around Petchburi, but that too can be jammed and is a very long detour. I do it when driving myself, but I know all the rat runs. No guarantee of not getting in a jam though.

If I am out at night in the downtown areas, I will have a drink or three and driving when drinking is an absolute no no.

Taxi fares in Bangkok are cheap, especially for long journeys. To be honest, I think there should be a late night sur charge the good late night drivers deserve a bit more.

• Like 2

Same rules for taxis in the provinces as in Bangkok.

(Fares out of the city do not use meter though, ïts 10B/km)

Same complaint Hotline 1584, 24 hours.

Taxi drivers in Bangkok and in the provinces are quite sensitive if they feel you might call 1584.

you said:

I don't just want to ding them for just 3,000Bt. I'd like to ruin them. That's why I posted the reporting number.

if you can actually ding the same driver 3 times then the law is stupid and needs to be changed ,

He will have no idea in 6 months or so what he did wrong to piss you off , but will have to pay

That is not fair to the driver ,

But then again the OP does not care :(

• Like 1

Sorry to ask but is there a different set of laws for BKK taxis & PATTAYA Taxis bcs i hv never ever seen one in Pattaya using a meter

In BKK, I always was on the meter. Rarely had a driver complain about it. This includes airport & downtown traffic.

• Like 1

Wish I'd had this number over the last 3 weeks.

THREE TIMES -- Taxi Driver far exceeding the limit, driving dangerously fast.

The other day -- he was at 140KM/H in an 80KM?h freeway zone.

I kept looking over his shoulder to see how fast he was going -- and all he'd do is go faster.

My Thai Fiancee was scared and furious when she gave him the money -- he quickly drove away.

HIT THEM IN THE WALLET. Agree !!

Just like everywhere in the world, change only takes place when it can involve an increase or a reduction in money.

Period.

• Like 1

The problem is getting worse every year. Taxies drivers violating their contract, refusing fares or refusing to use the meter.

Taxi drivers, parked or trolling the hotel district and tourist sites, refusing regular fares, looking to take advantage of a tourist.

They are professional tourist scammers with no intention of providing a legitimate service.

Today I found out the reporting system actually works.

When they go for the yearly permit renewal, the administrator charges them an extra 1,000Bt. for every complaint received. Nice.

Hit them where it hurts. Report every one. (I have 3 phones so I will ding them 3 times)

All you need to do is:

-PHONE 1584

-Report the number on the small metal badge on the taxi door. (The same badge number is also painted on the outside door)

-Make note of the taxi color.

Be discrete if you want to stay healthy.

You are such a nasty person... Bleghh. You want to put those guys up for 3000baht? Jeesz bro.

I understand it can be stressing if u cannot find a taxi but you have to look it from their side too.

The other day I had to go to China town in bkk around 6pm. I can understand they dont wanna go but there is always one out of 5 who will bring u there. Or if u want to go home at 2 in the night to the otherside of bkk it is quite ok they charge 50bht extra since they have to go back empty.

Sure there are tossers and criminals but 99% of the time I am on my way within 3 taxis, on the meter.

And here picks up the comment of a person that does nothing to solve an ongoing problem. If the thieves are allowed, as you suggest, to continue to break the law, you wish them a good night and sweet dreams. The government even goes out of it's way to help you solve the problem. I could never live with myself while being such an easy target for anyone to scam me.

• Like 1

you said:

I don't just want to ding them for just 3,000Bt. I'd like to ruin them. That's why I posted the reporting number.

if you can actually ding the same driver 3 times then the law is stupid and needs to be changed ,

He will have no idea in 6 months or so what he did wrong to piss you off , but will have to pay

That is not fair to the driver ,

But then again the OP does not care sad.png

These guys hate you and would eat your first born child...and you defend them?

By reporting them, the chronic scammers will not be so profitable and will be culled from the ranks. Good.

That's what the 1584 system is for.

The taxis with rigged meters are getting 6 months in jail.

They have a secret switch that clicks the meter.

Watch for them and report them too.

I've come across this act a few times the meter zooms ahead when he clicks the switch. The almost shit their pants when I noticed. Major groveling. "Sorry sorry sorry. No charge."

I tried the 1584 number but the answer is in Thai only. Is there a trick to make them respond in English? Thanks

Recently heard of an APP for smart phone (and iPhone) that you can send complaint through to a relevant authority about taxi not using a meter?

Two weeks ago when leaving Sukhumvit Soi 20 for Suvarnabhumi Airport, the driver who previously agreed to "meter on" pulled off to the side of the road (along Sukhumvit), stopped and turned to me and said 600BHT - no meter. With my suitcases in the boot and trying to make the airport in reasonable time I was not going engage in a strong argument with him. I suggested 450BHT, we eventually "compromised" at 500BHT and the journey continued on time. This was not about the money but about the scam the driver can pull on you. Agree to meter then change their mind during the journey. I have had some good taxi drivers over the years (and I have always "tipped" them) but some just don't give a s**t about the law. They deserve to be heavily fined each time they pull these scams on people.

The app works well and is very discrete, you don't have to take a photo of the plate, it can be entered. I have used it not only to give a bad rating to a driver, I also use it to rate the excellent ones...hopefully they will get recognised for good service too.

I have never been offered the chance to use the meter in Pattaya. Example - taxi sitting in front of central. He asks "where you go" I answer Pratumnak. He says 200 baht I say no, use the meter and point to it. He responds "no meter in pattaya" so I get out and make out I am taking a picture of his number. So now he is following me down the road "why take picture" says he, clearly worried. I just walk on and say no problem. The next taxi goes through the same ritual so we get in, agree 200 which appears to be the minimum fare in pattaya (so more expensive than london minicab). He drives 50 metres then announces its 300 baht at which point we tell him to stop and we get out. I was going to do the camera trick to worry him but my wife was more worried for our safety so we just got out and chartered a baht bus - still but not worth arguing over.it would be great if the tourist board people came to pattaya tplato see whats happening

What about registering your mobile numbers, if for some reason you are caught out using three numbers to report the same driver under your name I would not like to be in that position knowing how the Thai jungle drums work.......... its wont be long before word gets back to the wrong person.

I understand there are occasionally good excuses for refusing a fare, as your example of going to Chinatown.

What I'm talking about are the professional scammers, posing as taxies in the hotel district and tourist places.

These guys not only waste our time, they are out to ruin peoples holidays with their scams. That's what they do. They pay off the police to 'own the block.'

I stay on Suk Soi 20 usually.

Almost always, I have to walk all the way to Sukhumvit to get a ride, even though there are dozens of taxies. Screw them.

the problem with the reporting system is that it fines the owners and not necessarily the crappy driers. drivers just continually change the places where they rent the taxis.

funny a decent driver was belittling the ones that park at tourist spots. he said they give police 200 to park and often cannot find anyone to cheat and make a profit for the shift. he said then the wife gets upset cause he doesn't bring money home to buy food. said they'd do a lot better simply driving and using the meter. he added many derogatory slangs.

even tough to get a taxi from hualampong MRT to chinatown. (very close to chinatown)

• Like 1

The problem is getting worse every year. Taxies drivers violating their contract, refusing fares or refusing to use the meter.

Taxi drivers, parked or trolling the hotel district and tourist sites, refusing regular fares, looking to take advantage of a tourist.

They are professional tourist scammers with no intention of providing a legitimate service.

Today I found out the reporting system actually works.

When they go for the yearly permit renewal, the administrator charges them an extra 1,000Bt. for every complaint received. Nice.

Hit them where it hurts. Report every one. (I have 3 phones so I will ding them 3 times)

All you need to do is:

-PHONE 1584

-Report the number on the small metal badge on the taxi door. (The same badge number is also painted on the outside door)

-Make note of the taxi color.

Be discrete if you want to stay healthy.

You are such a nasty person... Bleghh. You want to put those guys up for 3000baht? Jeesz bro.

I understand it can be stressing if u cannot find a taxi but you have to look it from their side too.

The other day I had to go to China town in bkk around 6pm. I can understand they dont wanna go but there is always one out of 5 who will bring u there. Or if u want to go home at 2 in the night to the otherside of bkk it is quite ok they charge 50bht extra since they have to go back empty.

Sure there are tossers and criminals but 99% of the time I am on my way within 3 taxis, on the meter.

what are you smoking, it is their job, if they do it, it must be done the right way, do you not understand this? you must of been taking a nap when right & wrong was explained. you may have little or no problem with taxi drivers but i assure thousands of people do every day. and yes there are many great drivers, just not enough of them. being ripped off kinda suks :-)

I understand there are occasionally good excuses for refusing a fare, as your example of going to Chinatown.

What I'm talking about are the professional scammers, posing as taxies in the hotel district and tourist places.

These guys not only waste our time, they are out to ruin peoples holidays with their scams. That's what they do. They pay off the police to 'own the block.'

I stay on Suk Soi 20 usually.

Almost always, I have to walk all the way to Sukhumvit to get a ride, even though there are dozens of taxies. Screw them.

the problem with the reporting system is that it fines the owners and not necessarily the crappy driers. drivers just continually change the places where they rent the taxis.

Unfair, yes but not really a problem. The "owners" will soon learn not to rent out their vehicle to them again. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Recently heard of an APP for smart phone (and iPhone) that you can send complaint through to a relevant authority about taxi not using a meter?

Two weeks ago when leaving Sukhumvit Soi 20 for Suvarnabhumi Airport, the driver who previously agreed to "meter on" pulled off to the side of the road (along Sukhumvit), stopped and turned to me and said 600BHT - no meter. With my suitcases in the boot and trying to make the airport in reasonable time I was not going engage in a strong argument with him. I suggested 450BHT, we eventually "compromised" at 500BHT and the journey continued on time. This was not about the money but about the scam the driver can pull on you. Agree to meter then change their mind during the journey. I have had some good taxi drivers over the years (and I have always "tipped" them) but some just don't give a s**t about the law. They deserve to be heavily fined each time they pull these scams on people.

The same thing happened to me years ago when Don Mueng was the main Bangkok airport.

We got in the cab after checking that the meter was going to be used, and what do you know, he then said "no meter" when we were on the expressway. I was sitting in the front seat, and my wife was in the back, and he kept going on about 1,000 baht, as if I was as green as grass. My wife said 500 baht, and he said "OK", with a big grin on his face.

When we got to our hotel, we got all the luggage out of the cab, and took it all in to reception, which was packed with people, and where I gave him 200 baht. He said it was 500 baht, so I explained to him that "taking the piss" made any agreement null and void. That soon wiped the smile off his smarmy face.

• Like 2

I am all for reporting them, and congrats on you for doing that, but I would not think its fair to report them three times, unless they are exceptionally bad. I had one driver who was clearly on drugs, turned off the meter half way there and made lude sexual attempts at my girlfriend in the car, had us all feeling very threatened, and we nearly called the police (But we are able to exit safely on the highway after paying him slightly more than the meter had shown). I did report this guy, and would have liked to 1000 times. If someone simply nods you away and refuses your fare, they don't deserve to lose 3000 baht, but being reported is fair game.

What you are saying is all very well, and by all means report them, I know from experience there are plenty of bad, cheating Taxi and Tuk Tuk drivers, but just me 100% right before you do any reporting, and take into consideration any language problems.

• Like 1

Wish I'd had this number over the last 3 weeks.

THREE TIMES -- Taxi Driver far exceeding the limit, driving dangerously fast.

The other day -- he was at 140KM/H in an 80KM?h freeway zone.

I kept looking over his shoulder to see how fast he was going -- and all he'd do is go faster.

My Thai Fiancee was scared and furious when she gave him the money -- he quickly drove away.

HIT THEM IN THE WALLET. Agree !!

Just like everywhere in the world, change only takes place when it can involve an increase or a reduction in money.

Period.

Thai speed limits are a joke anyway. The same 80km/h speed limit is applied on expressways (why the hell do they even call them expressways) and on surface roads like Phahonyothin, where no way in hell could you get anywhere near 60km/h let alone 80km/h anytime between 6.30am and about 10pm.

No wonder no one obeys the speed limits here, I certainly don't. Besides, rarely are there even speed limit signs posted so how would you know the limits?

120km/h on the expressway is fine. 140km/h, well seems to be about normal for Thai taxi drivers.