Grps Aircards In Bangkok. Where To Buy?

nomadspike

Can anyone in Bangkok recommend the best and cheapest place in town to buy an aircard for my Sony Vaio laptop? I was thinking of the Sony Ericsson GC83 or the Sierra Wireless 750. Can anyone share their experiences using these cards upcountry? I'll be staying on Koh Phangan for four months from December through April, in the north of the island and use AIS for my mobile phone, and plan to use one of AIS's prepaid plans for the aircard. Thanks in advance for the advice.

If your phone supports GPRS (and practially all recent phones do) then you don't need an aircard - you can just use the phone's inbuilt GPRS modem. There are no significant speed advantages in having an aircard, does the same job. Just need to connect the phone to your laptop by infrared, bluetooth or cable.

There are quite a few threads in here on how to set up the modem in your phone.

Thank you for the advice. I contacted edgethailand.com and got a quote on several cards. Seems like I can get the same cards cheaper in the states so will probably bring one over with me. I'm still interested in people's experiences using these cards especially over on koh phangan or samuii. (and no, my mobile/cell phone does not support GPRS)

Would I be safe to assume that if i were to go into one of the AIS shops in Bangkok and buy my GSM sim card and pre-paid data plan there that they would be able to help me set my aircard up? Or should set-up be relatively simple with the software included with the card?

Edited by nomadspike

Would I be safe to assume that if i were to go into one of the AIS shops in Bangkok and buy my GSM sim card and pre-paid data plan there that they would be able to help me set my aircard up? Or should set-up be relatively simple with the software included with the card?

It's very easy, 10 minutes only. I have a Sierra Wireless AirCard 775, and are very happy with it. Does GPRS and Edge.