Tourism spared impact from Chiang Mai air quality

webfact

CHIANG MAI: -- EVEN as tiny dust particles severely hit air quality in the upper northern region yesterday, affecting the health of many local residents, the Thai Ecotourism and Adventure Travel Association (TEATA) affirmed that the smog situation would not impact overall tourism because of region's current "off season".

Want to take a wild guess why the region has a current "off season", Einstein?

Meanwhile hotels in Phuket and Pattaya are doing roaring trade.

Haze remains a threat to health in Chiang Mai

3-12-2015-10-01-29-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- The Armed Forces are now joining local authorities to combat the hazes that are blanketing several northern provinces and are a threat to health.

The Army and the Air Force are sending their aircraft to spray water to lessen the dust density and provide clearer visibility while the Navy also is sending water trucks to spray water.

Meanwhile in Chiang Mai, particulate measurement yesterday showed a drop below 200 microgram/cubic cm, but it is still above acceptable level and a threat to health.

The Pollution Control Department reported that the particulate measurement at Chiang Mai’s Provincial Administration Office showed 189 micrograms/cubic cm.

This was also collaborated by readings taken at the Yupharat Wittiyalai School in central Chiang Mai measuring station which showed figures of 199 micrograms/cubic cm.

These readings are significantly lower than readings taken earlier in the morning but still exceed safe, acceptable levels.

There were also 90 hot-spots reported in the province where burnings are still being clandestinely carried out mostly around the Mae Jam, Chiang Dao, Mae Taeng and Omkoi areas.

Many departments have mobilized and are coordinating with other government departments to deploying mobile tankers to spray water into the atmosphere in an attempt to reduce the amount of haze and particulates in the air.

Other provinces like Chiang Rai, Limping, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son also faced the same situation.

The commander of the Third Region Army, Lt Gen Sathit Pittarat ordered firefighting units to mobilise all available equipment to tackle the number of fires which were still burning out of control in the Northern provinces following meetings with nine provincial governors in the north.

The units were equipped with all the necessary firefighting equipment and were tasked to look after fires both at the district and sub-district level.

Furthermore, he has ordered that formal charges be brought against those found to have clandestinely carried out burnings to clear lands for future farming.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/haze-remains-a-threat-to-health-in-chiang-mai

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-03-12

Fine the OWNERS of the Land , and fine them heavily , the burning will stop .

Of couse they will say " it was not me ..." but up to them to make sure that no one else lights fires on their land !

We... my family and I don't go to Chiang Mai anymore. There is nothing there to see.

20 years ago on my first visit I was remarkably impressed by the poor air quality.

Hat Yai is a much better destination.

Seriously, does spraying a little water in the air clean a very area?

It does clean the immediate area a little. With regards to that picture, perhaps the immediate 1 sq km. But you'd have to do that continuously as long as the levels are very high, and that means for a good half a day, every day.

But they don't do that.too little too late as usual-they need to educate the rice farmer to plough the field rather than burn it.

Yeah, but ploughing costs, burning has no cost.

years and years everyone says do this, do that.....but the burning continues, nobody reads any of this!!!! it is truly a sucker who spends money to get more unhealthy.

if you can escape the prison, escape. i am sure the burning will continue until everyone on this board is gone.

if you are reading this article and excited about going to CM soon, i have some nice artifacts to sell to you!!!

I'm a tourist in Chiang Mai. I didn't know about the pollution issue till after I arrived and read about it here. Today I went to doi sutep and my body started tingling all over. Took me a while to realise that it was because I could breathe properly again.

On the top I could barely see the city below. The worst part though was the descent back into the smog. My entire body stiffened up as I arrived back in the town. I feel both disgusted and worried about my health to be hear. I've already booked my flight back home in 5 days or else I would leave.

I spoke to a Thai bar girl about the pollution and she didn't know what I was talking about. Lots of Thais here either don't know or care.

The experience of the pollution in general will influence whether I will return to Thailand. It's not worth the health risk of dodgy street food, dirty beaches and smog filled cities.

Pissing in the wind comes to mind! I really have, never in my life, come across such a bunch of clueless idiots. Why don't they use the fire trucks to actually put out some of the fires? Oh, I forgot .... mushroom growers and friends in high places and screw the other 99.9% of CM residents!

The burning of the rice fields does two things. Kills all the harmful bugs that destroys a new tender crop. And also helps keep Vermin (rats)

under control. But the real issue is the Mountain tribes of Myanmar bordering Thailand, they move around in the mountains burning the forest to get at the mushrooms, and then attack any singed pigs suffocating in the smoked ash laden hills.

Pisser!!!!!!

We... my family and I don't go to Chiang Mai anymore. There is nothing there to see.

20 years ago on my first visit I was remarkably impressed by the poor air quality.

Hat Yai is a much better destination.

They don't miss you!!

• 10 months later...

I had to have a tube stuck through my nose in fear of cancer here at the hospital. Thankfully it was only a swollen larynx. But why? Its not like I have so many friends that I talk all day or am a singer or public speaker. . Now it seems so many here are coughing or sick from related lung problems, "yes I know not all related to pollution". Even now only in January 2016, and so many illnesses. One of the fellows at my condo took a trip down south, got better only to return and immediate get sick again. <deleted>? Breathing problems...what a drag , all in the name of profits.