How to find a proper 180hp+ track bike in Thailand

Jamesht

Semi-active Ohlins suspension, carbon fiber bodywork, and advanced data-logging with GPS.

r

Hum , there's a bit more than that dude !

There is a Aussie magazine called " Australian news" they just did a test on the new R1 , both models.

You can subscribe online, it's a good read, it prices the top spec R1 at AUD$ 29000 = @ 720000 baht.

The idea of progressive slide control and the linked braking system sounds interesting.

And for the guys who say you only need a 600 cc bike , that depends apon skill level and weight.

I have beaten guys around eastern creek who were on bikes with a lot more power than my old zx900 but I have not been able to stay with a mate who rides a Honda nsr250 on the same track.

Some people have the ability and desire to ride a powerful bike and its up to them to decide if it's appropriate.

Moose

Doesn't your point prove that a 600 is enough?

If they want a litre bike for whatever reason then that's fine. But 180hp for Thai tracks? I'm sure top GP riders could use it but not many riders can ride a 600 supersport to its limit on small Thai tracks.

Any litre bike will be more than fast enough IMO. The benefit of 2015 bikes is the electronics that makes them rideable. Not an extra 10 or 20 hp.

Agree with you, but not only for Thai tracks...how about Thai roads?..IMO the same reckoning applies..180+ HP is not useable on the roads by majority of riders who have that sort of power available.

How about the speeds these numpties are doing on single lane country roads in Thailand together with oncoming traffic in the opposite traffic lane with no lane dividers?

Some parts of the video the guy it flat out at nearly 230KM.

As an aside, knowing how dangerous most of the tracks are here in Thailand, with limited straights, and many unsafe corners, I can't imagine why anyone would really need a full power anything liter bike. People should be racing 250cc bikes only on the tracks in this country and if they want to race bigger track bikes then go to Malaysia or elsewhere in my humble opinion.

Go tell these guys that... SBK World Superbike Championship March20-22

Most definitely, Buriram is FIA Grade 1 & FIM Grade A licensed. Which means in essence they can hold events up to Formula 1 & MotoGP. Other tracks in thailand I feel would not even meet the minimum standard for either regulating body.
Don't know that track. But it sounds interesting. I know all the ones within a 1.5-2.5 hour drive from Bangers are all scary for speeds above 180KM.

It only just opened late last year, in time for a most converted round of the SuperGT racing series. Word has it that at least $50 million dollars was spent on the track and infrastructure and they are by no means finished with its development. The circuit was designed by a renown circuit designer who's name escapes me for the moment smile.png

Very Interesting. But why build it all the way up there in Booty-Ram? It's pretty up there, but not exactly a place that is normally high on the tourist map. [emoji45][emoji6][emoji106]

The football club grounds were already there. So I would imagine the investors so it as a opportunity to expand motoracing at the highest level in Thailand. BRIC have proven that they have the infrastructure and the means to organise (read: run) big and bigger events. The travelling isn't overly far compared to some circuits around the world. The big thing that is needed is more local accommodation. From what I can gather, people were booking rooms 30+kms away.

Oh the track was designed by Hermann Tilke. Here is the circuit list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Tilke#List_of_circuits

But to name drop some big circuits he designed: Sepang, Bahrain, Yas Marina & Circuit of the Americas smile.png

How about the speeds these numpties are doing on single lane country roads in Thailand together with oncoming traffic in the opposite traffic lane with no lane dividers?

Stupid nutters

Too many farmers or kids crossing street with their bikes for a u-turn and won't notice them. scary

• Like 1

There's a young guy who owns / runs a place called PowerSpeedShop right at the end of Pattanakarn before it joins Onnut. He imports and sells litre sports bikes, and races them too (used to race cars before that). He also has a dyno and has just bought a new one although it was still in the shipping crates when I was there a few weeks back.

Basically he gets orders for bikes and then brings in a container - this is what was on offer for the last lot according to his FB (https://www.facebook.com/powerspeedshop)

- Bmw S1000RR 2015 : 990,000 บาท
- Suzuki GSXR1000 2015 L5 : 780,000 บาท
- Kawasaki ZX10R 2015 : 780,000บาท/ABS 820,000บาท
- Yamaha R1 2015 : 939,000 บาท
- Yamaha R1M 2015 : 1,5xx,000 บาท

Tel (PM for details) / Line : powerspeedshop

Or he's got an old Gixxer (GSXR1000 K6) for sale for THB 380,000 with reg etc.

Doesn't speak great English but he seems like a decent bloke. Maybe worth a visit.

Edited by seedy
personal details

There's a young guy who owns / runs a place called PowerSpeedShop right at the end of Pattanakarn before it joins Onnut. He imports and sells litre sports bikes, and races them too (used to race cars before that). He also has a dyno and has just bought a new one although it was still in the shipping crates when I was there a few weeks back.

Basically he gets orders for bikes and then brings in a container - this is what was on offer for the last lot according to his FB (https://www.facebook.com/powerspeedshop)

/ Line : powerspeedshop

Doesn't speak great English but he seems like a decent bloke. Maybe worth a visit.

good tip and good shop but the op doesn't like imports.....

Tel 0847547744 / Line : powerspeedshop

good tip and good shop but the op doesn't like imports.....

I don't like imports but there isn't much choice here for what I want, I can wait for a bmw or wait for an r1 but since I already have 2 bmw at home iv decided to get an r1

I also made contact with someone who had 2 secondhand bmw a 2013 and 14 with high Klm 12,000 on one (899,000) and the 14 1.35 mil. No useful mods for me except pretty stickers carbon and crazy price.

I spoke on line with the powerspeedshop he is getting back to me with an exact delivery date in may! He said he practices at Bira so could be convenient for the mods I'll have to make. Only a few for the track I Didn't even complicate it with asking for cheap fiberglass fairings and how to get the suspension revalved.

Hopefully the r1 abs is better than the bmw as I had to disconnect abs as brake lever is on the grips after a couple laps am told the brake lines are too long with abs. Cheaper to put braided lines on than do what the superbike teams do.

Guess I'll run into some people at the track Bira or buri ram after May I'll be the 191cm guy on the r1 with cheap fairings so thanks again for all the suggestions.

?

• Like 1

The zx10 is available with full electronics package or only with or without abs?

R1 he can't deliver until June 30

To just got bake from the superbikes races in buri ram .

Anybody who says that a 600 cc bike is enough for that track sits down to urinate !

It's a horsepower track you wimps !

Rob

Congrats that makes a total of suitable 1000cc tracks of ONE also it's ~400km away from "central" Thailand.

Go home rob

Anybody who says that a 600 cc bike is enough for that track sits down to urinate !

Rob

Congrats that makes a total of suitable 1000cc tracks of ONE also it's ~400km away from "central" Thailand.

Go home rob

It's never easy getting to a good fast track anywhere it takes me 2 hours to get to Phillip island I prefer stay in hotel if I can many people travel 4 to 5 hours in Australia for PI or eastern creek then factor in 6000 baht for track fee hotel, set of tyres (13,000) last a couple days and sharing a track with 150 other numptys it makes buri and Bira look good to me and cheap.

Plus different people have different levels of enthusiasm mine is lacking in oz and a few have high skill levels to get more out of big bike etc

I'll happily drive 5 hour to buri ram it looks very good and Bira is close to me. This is probably one time in Thailand I see the glass half full not half empty.

Now just need the new r1 lol

• Like 1

Rob

Go home rob

I'll travel 800kms return trip in a heartbeat. I'm another Aussie and though it's Thailand travelling and will take longer to traverse, it's way better than a 3,300km round trip for me. :)
  • Like 1

Looks like dr Joe soon will need a real doctor if he keeps on riding with those speeds on Thai public roads

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got a update on when yamaha thailand will have the 2015 r1 available not the m version. Thought they might of made an announcement at that motor show.

Import delivery is a long wait through powerspeedshop.

Edited by Jamesht

• 3 weeks later...

Kawasaki Thailand doesn't sell the ZX-10R, and there's no Japan-spec restricted version of it- it sounds likes you got the horsepower rating for the Z1000 (the sales guys at Kawi screw up like that all the time)- Honda Big Wing only imports the restricted Japan-spec version of the CBR1000RR and its 116hp.

Hi RSD,

I meant to respond to this awhile back.

I don't know if it was a 'one off' for this particular dealership, but awhile back, my mate bought a brand new 2010 ZX10R off of the showroom floor from Kawasaki Chiang Mai. It was the only one they had and I haven't noticed anymore in my travels down there or heard from others. Maybe it was test case for a customer base? When I rode it, i noticed that it was way down on power compared to my Middle East spec (read: Japan export spec) R1. My R1 was a beast, but the ZX10R was asthmatic to say the least.

Edited by Garry

^

Yes, they did sell it five years ago, but as it was restricted compared to the Euro model, and they had loads of complaints and bad press. The salesmen had told all their customers it was 'unrestricted', but it required an ECU flash (or possibly a swap) and some exhaust work to bring it up to Euro-spec, which of course voided the warranty. It was such a fiasco that they dropped it and haven't brought it back since.

While I'm not 100% sure, I believe it was the U.S-spec version, which was (and still is, but to a lesser degree with the current model) emissions-restricted and down about 20hp on the Euro version (though it's easier to bring it back up to top-spec now). I also read there was a Malaysian version with a different ECU harness, but I really doubt a special ECU would have been developed for such a small market.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

Kawasaki Thailand doesn't sell the ZX-10R, and there's no Japan-spec restricted version of it- it sounds likes you got the horsepower rating for the Z1000 (the sales guys at Kawi screw up like that all the time)- Honda Big Wing only imports the restricted Japan-spec version of the CBR1000RR and its 116hp.

Hi RSD,

I meant to respond to this awhile back.

I don't know if it was a 'one off' for this particular dealership, but awhile back, my mate bought a brand new 2010 ZX10R off of the showroom floor from Kawasaki Chiang Mai. It was the only one they had and I haven't noticed anymore in my travels down there or heard from others. Maybe it was test case for a customer base? When I rode it, i noticed that it was way down on power compared to my Middle East spec (read: Japan export spec) R1. My R1 was a beast, but the ZX10R was asthmatic to say the least.

The Yamaha YZF-R1M will/is available in Thailand for a few bath under 1.2 milllion Thai baht is is fully unrestricted... see http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/2015-Yamaha-YZF-R1M_Better-than-Best

Edited by Duindam