Selfie stick bans go into effect at French, UK attractions

thai tech

Selfie stick bans go into effect at French, UK attractions

selfie-stick-hipster-700x336.jpg

PARIS (AP) — “Selfie sticks” have now been banned at a French palace and a British museum, joining a growing list of global tourist attractions to take such measures.

The devices are used to improve snapshots, but critics say they are obnoxious and potentially dangerous. Officials at Palace of Versailles outside Paris, and Britain’s National Gallery in London, announced the bans Wednesday, saying they need to protect artworks and other visitors.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/selfie-stick-bans-go-into-effect-at-french-uk-attractions/6760/

It's a fantastic move. Frankly anyone caught using one of these should be jailed.

Seriously though they are becoming a problem. If I saw people posing for a group shot I woud usually pause and not walk through the shot. These days I can't be bothered I just walk through and if someone is standing there with a stick stuck out in my path it gets swatted away.

Edited by canman

You what, why?

Have I woken up in a different dimension? Has the world has gone mad?

I'm lost for words.

I'll tell you why.

Because there are psychos around that can use the stick to destroy museum exhibits or paintings.

It has been done before and nobody guarantees it won't happen again.

Better safe than sorry.

You what, why?

Have I woken up in a different dimension? Has the world has gone mad?

I'm lost for words.

I'll tell you why.

Because there are psychos around that can use the stick to destroy museum exhibits or paintings.

Better safe than sorry.

There a psychos around that can use their arms and legs to destroy exhibits or painting.

Better safe than sorry. Ban arms and legs too.

• Like 1

charlie brooker:

Last year brought widespread acceptance of the “selfie stick” – a stick you clamp your smartphone into so you can take a narcissistic self-portrait at a slightly greater distance than your feeble human arms will allow. What’s odd about the selfie stick is that while it might faintly improve the photo you’ll post on Facebook, it definitely makes you seem like a shallow, awful clown to any bystanders in the humdrum physical space you’re posing in. And it’s unnecessary anyway, because if you’re the sort of person who takes so many self-portraits you’ll consider spending money on a selfie stick, it’s a cast-iron certainty that absolutely no one needs or wants to see another photograph of you ever again. Until the invention of the Selfpreciator, that is. The Selfpreciator is a quasi-sentient head-shaped device with one giant eye and a fixed grin, programmed to gaze approvingly at every self-portrait you upload while issuing appreciative murmurs and tweeting encouraging emojis your way. It’s even got its own selfie stick, so it can take photographs of itself admiring photographs of you, then email them to you, so you can ignore them while adjusting your selfie stick.

Better safe than sorry.

I could walk into a gallery with a thumb sized 'safety' knife used in warehouses, in my pocket, and slice up antique paintings.

Infact I could do great damage to such items just with a standard Biro, a bunch of keys or a key fob.

Are guards at the doors of museums and galleries getting people to empty their pockets and confiscating such items?

All too often the 'health and safety' card is pulled out of the hat to hammer down a rule, the true grievance being hidden behind it.

Attractions just need to own up and admitted that the messing around with group photos was annoying and time consuming,

If we want to talk about psychos going around wrecking museum exhibitis, those are to be found in the middle east right now.

charlie brooker:

Yes, but although Brooker can be observant, more often than not he comes across as a miserable humourless c***t.