Homemade Pizza & Breadsticks... fast

Tried a new fast pizza dough recipe today. It was really easy, and came out better than any other (no-rise) homemade dough I'd made before so I thought I'd share it:

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 cup warm water

2 1/2 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 230 degrees C. In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat/mix until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface & divide in half. Stretch or roll 1 half into a round crust. Transfer crust to a lightly greased pizza pan or baker's peel dusted with cornmeal (I just put the stretched dough right on my oven's wire rack; while the oven pre-heated, I built the pizza, no cornmeal). Spread with desired toppings and bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

This is not the pizza I made but, the crust looks a lot like mine. I topped mine with Mozzarella, sliced cherry tomatoes, basil leaves, oregano, salami slices, a little olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese. Didn't look like Africa... but tasted pretty good! Took the second 1/2 of the dough and mixed it with roasted garlic paste and crumbled mature Cheddar. Rolled in into a log, sliced a few times lengthwise, twisted the pieces and baked them for 20 minutes or so = cheesy garlic breadsticks!

post-72929-0-91784900-1426136056_thumb.j

• Like 1

Um, looks like the 'standard' pizza dough ratios, but without the rise/rest time.

So, what's the difference between this and what you were making before?

With this recipe, you go from start to wipe-your-mouth in under an hour. It's a two day process using conventional dough recipes.

If this is not the pizza you made why post the photo?

Fair question. I thought to add a photo of a crust as close as possible to my results so people would know what to expect if they tried making the recipe. (It's a dough that does not rise much in the oven.)

PS- mine looked better (no kidding) but everyone ate it up before I had the idea to post the recipe; breadsticks are history, too.

Some people are happy with Flour/Water no-rise recipes.

I don't like the 'flour' taste of the dough/crust with instant, and have an appreciation for multi-day gluten conversion doughs.

I don't have the patience or the physical room to proof/raise 28 bowls of dough for our regular wood oven pizza parties. One day max, or don't bother me.

Good that you and your family/friends are happy with the results.

I use the same recipe, but I stretch mine out on the back of my ovens roasting tray. It ends up being about 50cm x 40cm in size.

once the dough is spread out, I use a can of the Prego pasta sauce plus any other toppings I want.

It never lasts long in our house.