AIS 3g H+

alocacoc

Since we're on the topic:

I have to admit; I buy phones like girls buy shoes...keep trying out new ones. I really like my Zenphone-5 but my eyes are old and I find myself wanting to try a larger, 6"screen, 4G LTE as well. The Lenovo A936 looks pretty good (2gb RAM, 8gb ROM) and I can get it for less than US$200 (B6000) online. The phone will take 2 SIM's

My plan is to continue to use my AIS SIM for calls and get a TRUE 4G SIM for Data. Any flaws with that plan that I may have missed?

• Like 1

Don't bother about H+ vs. 4G/LTE.

For both applies: be happy if you reach a fair fraction of the theoretical data rates that the marketing folks blow out.

As far as I know the LTE coverage is still very limited and kind of an introduction/test phase.

• Like 1

I have to admit; I buy phones like girls buy shoes...keep trying out new ones. I really like my Zenphone-5 but my eyes are old and I find myself wanting to try a larger, 6"screen, 4G LTE as well. The Lenovo A936 looks pretty good (2gb RAM, 8gb ROM) and I can get it for less than US$200 (B6000) online. The phone will take 2 SIM's

My plan is to continue to use my AIS SIM for calls and get a TRUE 4G SIM for Data. Any flaws with that plan that I may have missed?

Check the pixel density

Right, so far only Truemove-H and DTAC have 4G services launched.

they lie !

G4 is not licensed and not operative !

Its just marketing gag !!!

Really i didnt think 3g was capable of 28 down.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1198648685

But I see "4G" at the top of your screen

Exactly, I think you might have to read yankee99's post again, as that's his point wink.png

• Like 1

If your phone is displaying 4G, then it has a 4G connection. That is no "marketing gag". With DTAC, I have done side by side speed tests on my iPhone with 3G and 4G connections, and the 4G connection has a download speed that is roughly three times as fast as the 3G connection.

I guess I don't really understand what is going on with the 4G auction thing. DTAC most certainly do have 4G deployed all over Thailand already. AIS have only a couple of test locations in Bangkok.

Check the pixel density

I did. I don't watch a lot of HD video content on my phone, maybe a bit of YouTube but rarely movies, nor do I play graphic intensive games.

Maybe it's my eyes but when I was shopping for a TV, I really couldn't see any real difference between 720P and 1080P screens viewing TRUE cable content. The same seems to be true with phone screens.

The only 6", LTE phones on the market with 1920 by 1080 density are way beyond my budget...B15000+, not worth it for something I can barely discern.

There are some amazing 5.5 inch phones out there, the JIAYU S3 for example with great specs and performance for under $200. I was really tempted by it, but a 1/2 inch increment from my Zenphone 5 really is too small a change to make it worthwhile.

No

Check the pixel density

I did. I don't watch a lot of HD video content on my phone, maybe a bit of YouTube but rarely movies, nor do I play graphic intensive games.

Maybe it's my eyes but when I was shopping for a TV, I really couldn't see any real difference between 720P and 1080P screens viewing TRUE cable content. The same seems to be true with phone screens.

The only 6", LTE phones on the market with 1920 by 1080 density are way beyond my budget...B15000+, not worth it for something I can barely discern.

There are some amazing 5.5 inch phones out there, the JIAYU S3 for example with great specs and performance for under $200. I was really tempted by it, but a 1/2 inch increment from my Zenphone 5 really is too small a change to make it worthwhile.

That's true. Just ensure that the pixel count is closer to 300 or more.. you will notice it more on a larger screen. That will be about the same as your current zenfone which is 294 pixels!

This may be helpful : http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Display/High+pixel+density

Edited by casualbiker

If your phone is displaying 4G, then it has a 4G connection. That is no "marketing gag". With DTAC, I have done side by side speed tests on my iPhone with 3G and 4G connections, and the 4G connection has a download speed that is roughly three times as fast as the 3G connection.

I guess I don't really understand what is going on with the 4G auction thing. DTAC most certainly do have 4G deployed all over Thailand already. AIS have only a couple of test locations in Bangkok.

It's a little bit of a misnomer here when they talk about 4G auction. All they really are doing is the frequency sale, there is no frequency/technology mandate. This is why True ended up having blanket coverage of 3G using the 850MHz spectrum they were reselling from CAT, long before the '3G' 2100MHz sale happened. The same is true today with 4G LTE. True have simply utilized the 2100MHz spectrum they got in the 3G auction and rolled out LTE on it.

• Like 1

they lie !

There is no 4G in Thailand. In fact the 3G that is available is a very second rate service and not up to speed or with full coverage yet.

Don't take any notice of the advertising hype from the phone companies or the digits that you see on the signal status. There are no advertising watchdogs here.

4G broadcasts at a different wavelength to 3G. Licenses are not issued or paid for yet. The government would come down hard on illegal broadcasting. Most 3G capable phones will not be able to use 4G.

they lie !

There is no 4G in Thailand. In fact the 3G that is available is a very second rate service and not up to speed or with full coverage yet.

Don't take any notice of the advertising hype from the phone companies or the digits that you see on the signal status. There are no advertising watchdogs here.

4G broadcasts at a different wavelength to 3G. Licenses are not issued or paid for yet. The government would come down hard on illegal broadcasting. Most 3G capable phones will not be able to use 4G.

You are so amazingly wrong!

There are two networks that currently have LTE 4G working. True and Dtac. They are utilizing the 2100 MHz spectrum won in the "3g" auction. The upcoming Thai 4g auction will be 900 and 1800 MHz.

There are many phones currently for sale in Thailand that can utilise LTE starting from as little as 5k baht.

You are also wrong about the advertising watchdog.. Although to be fair it's a bit toothless!

"The local watchdog, the Consumer Protection Board a statutory creature of the Consumer Protection Act B.E. 2522 (A.D. 1979) (as amended) is empowered to institute legal proceedings under Section 10(7) of the Act, against inter alia, business operators who have advertisements which “…contain a statement which is unfair to consumers or which may cause adverse effects to the society as whole; that is, notwithstanding such statement concerns with the origin, condition, quality or description of goods or services…” (Section 22) – such statements expressly including statements which are “false or exaggerated” (Sub-section 22(1)). Other than litigious powers, wide powers to veto, and to effect corrective measures are granted to the statutory watchdogs, for instance under Sections 27 & 28 of the Act to require substantiation of claims made in advertisements."

Edited by casualbiker

I understand what you say but .... Do you think that the 3G system that was and is currently available in Thailand matches up to the 3G service that is offered in other countries? I think not and as far as I'm concerned it's a "Thailand special"

Is changing from 3 to 4G as simple as pumping out a better speed and sending it out to 3G mobiles on the 3G network and proclaiming it's 4G? I think not, there is a little more to it than that. 55555

I understand what you say but .... Do you think that the 3G system that was and is currently available in Thailand matches up to the 3G service that is offered in other countries? I think not and as far as I'm concerned it's a "Thailand special"

Is changing from 3 to 4G as simple as pumping out a better speed and sending it out to 3G mobiles on the 3G network and proclaiming it's 4G? I think not, there is a little more to it than that. 55555

Do you even know the difference between WCDMA/ UMTS / HSPA/HSDPA+ 3G and LTE 4G technologies?

It's OK if you say, "NO", because most people don't know, and further, don't care. They don't care about frequencies, bandwidth limitations, signal technology, tower coverage/density, backhaul bandwidth, or any of the other things that can come into play so you can enjoy your YouTube and Facebook.

Why do you believe it's a "Thailand Special"?

Is it because you can't access Americas or Europe-based content quickly? You do know that most of the world's enjoyable content isn't actually created and hosted in Thailand, right? That all your favorite content not produced and hosted in Thailand must first pass through an International Internet Gateways (just like every other Internet connection and every other ISP customer request) to access that favorite content.

"sending it out to 3G mobiles on the 3G network and proclaiming it's 4G? I think not, there is a little more to it than that. 55555"

What the heck point are you trying to make??? Do you believe LTE in Thailand is 'fake'? Fake, how? Who's sending out 3G and proclaiming it 4G? They're just transmission technologies. Air Interfaces.

What speed you see off a tower will depend on user contentions, 3G/3.5G/3/9G/4G time-slice configuration, several forms of interference, backhaul capacity, and what content you're trying to access. Towers and locations will be different.

Do you even know the difference between WCDMA/ UMTS / HSPA/HSDPA+ 3G and LTE 4G technologies?

It's OK if you say, "NO", because most people don't know, and further, don't care. They don't care about frequencies, bandwidth limitations, signal technology, tower coverage/density, backhaul bandwidth, or any of the other things that can come into play so you can enjoy your YouTube and Facebook.

Is it because you can't access Americas or Europe-based content quickly? You do know that most of the world's enjoyable content isn't actually created and hosted in Thailand, right? That all your favorite content not produced and hosted in Thailand must first pass through an International Internet Gateways (just like every other Internet connection and every other ISP customer request) to access that favorite content.

"sending it out to 3G mobiles on the 3G network and proclaiming it's 4G? I think not, there is a little more to it than that. 55555"

What the heck point are you trying to make??? Do you believe LTE in Thailand is 'fake'? Fake, how? Who's sending out 3G and proclaiming it 4G? They're just transmission technologies. Air Interfaces.

What speed you see off a tower will depend on user contentions, 3G/3.5G/3/9G/4G time-slice configuration, several forms of interference, backhaul capacity, and what content you're trying to access. Towers and locations will be different.

Hmmm .... Idon't see your point!

My point is that the 3G here is a very poor service compared to most other countries. Putting out 4G over a 3G system to 3G phones is not in my (and I'm sure many others) 4G. Are you suggesting that it's a great service and should be adapted worldwide?

Anyway ... Don't get too rattled ... you can defend the system and I'll say its second or third rate. Mere opinions and not worth much more than that.

My point is that the 3G here is a very poor service compared to most other countries. Putting out 4G over a 3G system to 3G phones is not in my (and I'm sure many others) 4G. Are you suggesting that it's a great service and should be adapted worldwide?

Anyway ... Don't get too rattled ... you can defend the system and I'll say its second or third rate. Mere opinions and not worth much more than that.

What are you talking about?

The LTE(4G) that is deployed here is the same as the worldwide standard. I have no idea what you are talking about "4G over a 3G system to 3G phones" that makes no sense.

Do you understand the differences between HSDPA, HSPA & LTE systems, which get displayed on your phone as H, H+, and 4G?

Both True & DTAC have FDD-LTE (thats 4G, nothing to do with 3G) on 2100Mhz.

Here's the global listing for all 4G LTE networks deployed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Not a big issue for me.

I''m just wondering how you believe 3G here is a poor service. Or how it's even possible to put out 4G over a 3G system to 3G phones?

LTE (4G) is not 3G, they are different signalling technologies.

Granted, they are using the same radio spectrum for both services, so this may reduce the top speed an end user might see because the they have to share with other signal technology users, but as far as the end user is concerned this is invisible.

Not a big issue for me.

I''m just wondering how you believe 3G here is a poor service. Or how it's even possible to put out 4G over a 3G system to 3G phones?

LTE (4G) is not 3G, they are different signalling technologies.

Granted, they are using the same radio spectrum for both services, so this may reduce the top speed an end user might see because the they have to share with other signal technology users, but as far as the end user is concerned this is invisible.

Yes understood. Where I live (NE) the 3G is very slow. When I get out and about for a break in Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket etc it's much the same but BKK is much better. I am not a techie but an end user or customer. The simple story is that 3G has a long way to go here and utilising the 3G system for 4G is not the way to go. Simply stating that 4G is available in Thailand is certainly an overstatement. 3G is not fully available yet. 2G is not available to all yet. Some of the 3G is going out over the 2G system. Are you suggesting that the system here is great, wonderful, marvellous and should be adapted worldwide?

What are you talking about?

The LTE(4G) that is deployed here is the same as the worldwide standard. I have no idea what you are talking about "4G over a 3G system to 3G phones" that makes no sense.

Do you understand the differences between HSDPA, HSPA & LTE systems, which get displayed on your phone as H, H+, and 4G?

Both True & DTAC have FDD-LTE (thats 4G, nothing to do with 3G) on 2100Mhz.

Here's the global listing for all 4G LTE networks deployed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Interesting ... But ... Why is the speed so slow? For sure selling a 4G package would imply that there is an improvement over a 3G package, yes? But 3G here is ridiculously slow.

Anyway as far as the auction for the 4G system goes, the government may as well cancel it right now because the fantastic cellular companies here clearly don't need it. Or maybe they know that the existing systems are overloaded and can't cope with the traffic. That will explain the low speeds yes? The whole point of 4G ( as far as the end user or customer is concerned ) is better connection speeds and a more reliable service. If the customer is not getting that, then clearly it's not good value, and as far as the customer is concerned .... It's not 4G, because 4G is a faster connection and more reliable service.

The sales message in the US is that 4G is always going to be better/faster than 3G. That's all hype.

4G might offer a faster signaling rate, but once all the 3G or 4G customers start using the system everyone is forced to share that high speed. It doesn't all belong to the one user. It's shared on a time-rotating basis. It can seem very quick if you're one of very few active customers at the time, but when everyone's online downloading ... your connections may say 42mbps but your time-rotating slice of the pie will only give you 1mbps.

"Why is the speed so slow?"

Where is the hosted location of the data you're connecting over mobile? If it's Bangkok, then most likely a Bangkok-centric connection will be faster. If the source is in the abroad/overseas then all connections goes through Bangkok anyway. Same issue. Even if you're the only customer on the system at the time, if the data has to pass through Bangkok first, or the data source is abroad/overseas then it has to be delivered through a congested International Internet Gateway from 'there' to 'here' then get passed from Bangkok to the tower your using.

People in New York hate SPRINT because the network is oversold, too much contention and congestion. Verizon may do a better job of Serving New York, but that's only after spending millions upon millions on specialized equipment to service the city -- but then the outer areas go underserved.

I don't believe there is 'one country' where mobile Internet is perfect. It would have to be one hell of a small country.

The sales message in the US is that 4G is always going to be better/faster than 3G. That's all hype.

4G might offer a faster signaling rate, but once all the 3G or 4G customers start using the system everyone is forced to share that high speed. It doesn't all belong to the one user. It's shared on a time-rotating basis. It can seem very quick if you're one of very few active customers at the time, but when everyone's online downloading ... your connections may say 42mbps but your time-rotating slice of the pie will only give you 1mbps.

"Why is the speed so slow?"

Where is the hosted location of the data you're connecting over mobile? If it's Bangkok, then most likely a Bangkok-centric connection will be faster. If the source is in the abroad/overseas then all connections goes through Bangkok anyway. Same issue. Even if you're the only customer on the system at the time, if the data has to pass through Bangkok first, or the data source is abroad/overseas then it has to be delivered through a congested International Internet Gateway from 'there' to 'here' then get passed from Bangkok to the tower your using.

People in New York hate SPRINT because the network is oversold, too much contention and congestion. Verizon may do a better job of Serving New York, but that's only after spending millions upon millions on specialized equipment to service the city -- but then the outer areas go underserved.

I don't believe there is 'one country' where mobile Internet is perfect. It would have to be one hell of a small country.

Where my parents live in Belgium, which is a populated area along the main road, they have problems getting a phone (2G) signal from 2 of the 3 major providers.The 3rd provider is "usable". About 7-800 meters to the left or right makes a huge difference