Renewal of work permit and visa.

Hi, i hope someone here can advise me.

My girlfriend is from the Philippines, and is working as a teacher in Bangkok.

She must renew both her work permit and visa for the end of the month, but nobody from the school will help. She is having to do all the documentation herself, as well as paying all fees and transport costs.

My question is, is this right? Is it normal for the school to not lift a finger to help except give documents that my girlfriend asks for. They told her they don't know what to do as before they used an agency. They will not even take her to the places and help.

Advice would be helpful.

To answer your question. It is pretty common at most schools, especially at those who had an agency before. I hope you did show her the visa and work permit section here, where all and everything was discussed from A to Z.

She must have a still valid TOEIC certificate, with a score of at least 600 points, which is only valid for two years. She'll need a "provisional teacher's license" from "Khurusapha", the Teacher's Council of Thailand in Bangkok.

A contract from her school, a letter from educational area xx, where the school belongs to, a letter of employment from the school, eventually a copy of the director's ID, teaching schedule, ( not always wanted, but better to have one),

Once she's got the provisional TL, she can renew her work permit, which is 3.6 K, then to Immigration and apply for a Non-B visa, which is 1,900 baht. They also want to see the TL, two photographs, copies of her passport, etc...

You can download a visa form from Immigration, a so called TM 7, already fill it out on her/ your computer to save some time.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

It also depends on her degree, as the TCT seem to have changed their regulations. She'll need a Thai culture course as well.

Filipinos are usually well informed what's needed and I'm pretty sure that she's got friends, or relatives who can help her

If she has all documents for the TL together, it would be most efficient to go to the TCT in person. When you send it via post, you/she could wait for a long time..wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

To answer your question. It is pretty common at most schools, especially at those who had an agency before. I hope you did show her the visa and work permit section here, where all and everything was discussed from A to Z.

She must have a still valid TOEIC certificate, with a score of at least 600 points, which is only valid for two years. She'll need a "provisional teacher's license" from "Khurusapha", the Teacher's Council of Thailand in Bangkok.

A contract from her school, a letter from educational area xx, where the school belongs to, a letter of employment from the school, eventually a copy of the director's ID, teaching schedule, ( not always wanted, but better to have one),

Once she's got the provisional TL, she can renew her work permit, which is 3.6 K, then to Immigration and apply for a Non-B visa, which is 1,900 baht. They also want to see the TL, two photographs, copies of her passport, etc...

You can download a visa form from Immigration, a so called TM 7, already fill it out on her/ your computer to save some time.

It also depends on her degree, as the TCT seem to have changed their regulations. She'll need a Thai culture course as well.

Filipinos are usually well informed what's needed and I'm pretty sure that she's got friends, or relatives who can help her

If she has all documents for the TL together, it would be most efficient to go to the TCT in person. When you send it via post, you/she could wait for a long time..wai2.gif

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply,, i will forward it to her.

Yes i have shown her the site, i was a bit frustrated at how she was being treated, so thought i would ask here.

Thanks.

Yes i have shown her the site, i was a bit frustrated at how she was being treated, so thought i would ask here.

Thanks.

Yep, it's quite frustrating how they treat many of us, regardless of our nationality.Unfortunately, for your gf's position are hundreds/thousands of fellow countrymen, who're willing to work for less money.

The times are really over where foreign teachers in this country were treated with the needed respect. I tend to believe that many of them believe that we all came to this country, because we couldn't get a job in our country of origin.

I was always wondering why the students misbehave when I've got them, but they're dead silent when a Thai teacher comes to the "show."

The answer is quite simple. Especially Thai teachers believe that they're the "Creme De La Creme" of the teaching circus and many of them badmouth foreigners, who teach English, for a very strange reason.

Just to look better, even if they can't put one sentence of English together. And that they don't lose face.

Just a thought about ASEAN, which will start this December. There's a high possibility that Filipino teachers will have a similar starting salary, what Thai teachers receive.

They usually start around 10 K/month. But they do have many other "goodies."

Or even worse. What a teacher in the Philippines is making. Tell her to sort all stuff out ASAP, because once the schools are shut down, it could be difficult to get the needed documents.

Best of luck for your gf and you.

Edited by lostinisaan

Thanks.

Yep, it's quite frustrating how they treat many of us, regardless of our nationality.Unfortunately, for your gf's position are hundreds/thousands of fellow countrymen, who're willing to work for less money.

The times are really over where foreign teachers in this country were treated with the needed respect. I tend to believe that many of them believe that we all came to this country, because we couldn't get a job in our country of origin.

I was always wondering why the students misbehave when I've got them, but they're dead silent when a Thai teacher comes to the "show."

The answer is quite simple. Especially Thai teachers believe that they're the "Creme De La Creme" of the teaching circus and many of them badmouth foreigners, who teach English, for a very strange reason.

Just to look better, even if they can't put one sentence of English together. And that they don't lose face.

Just a thought about ASEAN, which will start this December. There's a high possibility that Filipino teachers will have a similar starting salary, what Thai teachers receive.

They usually start around 10 K/month. But they do have many other "goodies."

Or even worse. What a teacher in the Philippines is making. Tell her to sort all stuff out ASAP, because once the schools are shut down, it could be difficult to get the needed documents.

Best of luck for your gf and you.

Hi, She actually has a good salary and beside special occasions (End of year party for example.) has weekends free and set hours during the week.

She was asked if she would like a two year contract, but she declined. Also she looked for work in the Pattaya area instead of bkk where she presently is, but the salaries on offer were half of what she is getting now, and it seemed there would be the extra's asked for at weekends etc.

The really confusing thing for me was the school stating they did not know the procedure for the work permit and visa. If they don't know, how is she supposed too?

I am sure it will be settled soon, it is just frustrating for us as we are trying to make plans for more time together and the school through their lack of knowledge or lack of caring are making it impossible to do so.

Thanks for the advise.

Lostinissan is right. A lot of schools just don't have a clue what to do. Some are more cooperative than others, but at the end of the day, she may be better off to do it herself, if she is capable of doing it.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Yeah often the schools don't know the procedure, as they hire agencies or if they do hire foreigners directly, they might hire foreigners who don't have degrees and just allow them to teach on tourist visas, without worrying about work permits and teaching licences etc.

Others employ teachers with degrees etc, but simply don't want the extra complication of dealing with visas/WPs/teaching licences etc, and so just leave it upto the foreign teachers to organise it themselves.

Some schools do know the process, and are good at it, but a lot just don't see it as their highest priority.

• Like 1

Lostinissan is right. A lot of schools just don't have a clue what to do. Some are more cooperative than others, but at the end of the day, she may be better off to do it herself, if she is capable of doing it.

Best of luck.

Yes she is capable. But also she is being given the runaround by different departments asking for different things.

The School is letting do this in their time, although all cost are down to her.

Thanks.

Best of luck.

Yes she is capable. But also she is being given the runaround by different departments asking for different things.

Thanks.

Over the years I really got used to it. My current school is incredible.

I have to tell them what sorts of documents I need, our miscoordinator always seems to be too busy doing things that make no sense at all.

I do have the full paperwork, written in Thai what your gf has to hand in, which I still got from my former school.

Yes, it's a hassle to go to the TCT then the DOL and Immigration, then coming back because of one missing stamp.

Yes, it can be quite annoying to do the same procedure every year. You'd think that teaching for ten years would mean something, but it doesn't.

Would your gf send her stuff to the TCT and only one stamp was missing, they just leave it sitting somewhere and nobody would even try to inform her.

When my Filipino colleague told me to see the coordinator, as he got half of the costs for his visa and work permit reimbursed, she only told me that I would "make more money" and have to pay all out of my own pocket.

I hated myself that I left my former school, as I believe that they either pay for all, or 50 %, nothing to do with how much money somebody receives as a salary.It's a principle. Yes, or no. 50 % for all, or not.

BTW, I've got at least twice as much teaching hours as the Filipino, have to do all the academic bs and all Thai teachers come and ask me, if they've got a problem regarding any English tests, to prepare seminars for Thai English teachers and other time wasting stuff.

You wrote that she's got a good salary coming in, which sounds great. Then just tell her to not be worried about the paperwork. But please tell her to go for the provisional TL first. Tell her to go in person, step by step.

The total cost, without transportation for one year is 5 K for visa and work permit. The director at her school might not even know that the coordinator's just to lazy to do her/his job.

Once she's got this document, she can already apply for a new visa, then extend her work permit.

I've just heard that from a friend yesterday that there're some changes. First visa, then work permit. I hope somebody on this forum has more information regarding some changes.

Finally, after many years doing it year by year, it's not as bad as it seems to be.

But I live in the northeast and know a lot of people at the DOL and the Immigration. Best of luck. See the light at the end of the tunnel. wai2.gif

Best of luck.

Thanks.

Over the years I really got used to it. My current school is incredible.

I have to tell them what sorts of documents I need, our miscoordinator always seems to be too busy doing things that make no sense at all.

I do have the full paperwork, written in Thai what your gf has to hand in, which I still got from my former school.

Yes, it's a hassle to go to the TCT then the DOL and Immigration, then coming back because of one missing stamp.

Yes, it can be quite annoying to do the same procedure every year. You'd think that teaching for ten years would mean something, but it doesn't.

Would your gf send her stuff to the TCT and only one stamp was missing, they just leave it sitting somewhere and nobody would even try to inform her.

When my Filipino colleague told me to see the coordinator, as he got half of the costs for his visa and work permit reimbursed, she only told me that I would "make more money" and have to pay all out of my own pocket.

I hated myself that I left my former school, as I believe that they either pay for all, or 50 %, nothing to do with how much money somebody receives as a salary.It's a principle. Yes, or no. 50 % for all, or not.

BTW, I've got at least twice as much teaching hours as the Filipino, have to do all the academic bs and all Thai teachers come and ask me, if they've got a problem regarding any English tests, to prepare seminars for Thai English teachers and other time wasting stuff.

You wrote that she's got a good salary coming in, which sounds great. Then just tell her to not be worried about the paperwork. But please tell her to go for the provisional TL first. Tell her to go in person, step by step.

The total cost, without transportation for one year is 5 K for visa and work permit. The director at her school might not even know that the coordinator's just to lazy to do her/his job.

Once she's got this document, she can already apply for a new visa, then extend her work permit.

I've just heard that from a friend yesterday that there're some changes. First visa, then work permit. I hope somebody on this forum has more information regarding some changes.

Finally, after many years doing it year by year, it's not as bad as it seems to be.

But I live in the northeast and know a lot of people at the DOL and the Immigration. Best of luck. See the light at the end of the tunnel. wai2.gif

Hi,

Yes she has a good salary, so that makes up for the cost of paying for the work permit and visa.

I just find it hard to understand the Thai attitude to not help though!

She seems to be popular there as they asked her to sign a two year contract. (Unless there could be a hidden motive there?) She declined and just signed for one year.

know she need one document that was at another office, so she was running around and getting stressed about it.

It seems ridiculous to me that a renewal of work permit and visa should be so difficult, i understand (to some extent) the paperwork required for the initial work permit, but after that it should be made easy.

Thanks again for your input.

As a side note, taking the 2 year contract would likely save her as lot of hassle next year, and perhaps some expense, as I vaguely remember reading an article a few months ago saying work permits could be extended for 2 years, instead of just 1 now. Might be wrong though as I'm only vaguely remembering.

As a side note, taking the 2 year contract would likely save her as lot of hassle next year, and perhaps some expense, as I vaguely remember reading an article a few months ago saying work permits could be extended for 2 years, instead of just 1 now. Might be wrong though as I'm only vaguely remembering.

She did not want a two year contract as she wanted to leave options open for her future.

But something to think about in the future,

Thanks

She did not want a two year contract as she wanted to leave options open for her future.

But something to think about in the future,

Thanks

That could be a double sided sword. I remember the director of my former school who made two year contracts for two Filipinos, because they wanted a real high pay raise and the school was already two teachers short.

He had not many choices at this time. It was about 5 K more for the guy and 4 K more/month for his wife. More than 100 K a year....

I sat next to him when he gave the order to give them a two year contract for only one reason. No way to ask for a pay raise after one year.

All that glitters is not gold......wai.gif

Don't forget those medical tests, which related to your sexual health...need the certificate... and up there, do they require proof via photos...that you are teaching your classes?

Edited by Rhys

Don't forget those medical tests, which related to your sexual health...need the certificate... and up there, do they require proof via photos...that you are teaching your classes?

No photos needed, but a "teaching schedule", plus contract, a map where the school's located, the letter from educational area xxx, plus a letter of employment from school.

Unfortunately, it's a little different from province to province. But better to be prepared and have "too many documents", than "not enough."

All educational area xxx offices have at least one guy working directly for the TCT. Might be worth to give it a try, as it seems to be their responsibility.

I'll go and see them next week, not that I have to renew my TL, but trying to find out if they can be of help.

They're the ones who told me last year that the CEFR for Thai teachers will start soon. And he was right about it. wai2.gif

P.S. I never really needed an X-ray and the local private hospital have forms with all needed checks. The only test they do are the usual blood pressure, the look at you if you're still breathing,plus a syphilis test that takes around 25 minutes.

My medical looks fantastic. No alcohol ( could be there drunk!), no drugs ( could go there with a needle still in my veins) excellent mental health,

( being there on a one day holiday from a mental hospital) and other utter nonsense.

Around 200 baht make a lot of things possible here, including not having a driver's license.

Edited by lostinisaan

No photos needed, but a "teaching schedule", plus contract, a map where the school's located, the letter from educational area xxx, plus a letter of employment from school.

Unfortunately, it's a little different from province to province. But better to be prepared and have "too many documents", than "not enough."

All educational area xxx offices have at least one guy working directly for the TCT. Might be worth to give it a try, as it seems to be their responsibility.

I'll go and see them next week, not that I have to renew my TL, but trying to find out if they can be of help.

They're the ones who told me last year that the CEFR for Thai teachers will start soon. And he was right about it. wai2.gif

P.S. I never really needed an X-ray and the local private hospital have forms with all needed checks. The only test they do are the usual blood pressure, the look at you if you're still breathing,plus a syphilis test that takes around 25 minutes.

My medical looks fantastic. No alcohol ( could be there drunk!), no drugs ( could go there with a needle still in my veins) excellent mental health,

( being there on a one day holiday from a mental hospital) and other utter nonsense.

Around 200 baht make a lot of things possible here, including not having a driver's license.

Do agree the requirement do change from province to province, down in the lower south a photographic proof of you teaching is required...started about 2 years ago.

The one that was always a hoot for our older teachers was the Syphilis test... one was offended one thought it was a compliment.... white hair and all.

I have found our ADM folks to be on the ball, however, when for some reason, such as a new personnel changes with the farang teachers and you go down yourself, it is a pain. As it is.. it is always best to go with a school official who is related to somebody in the work permit and visa processing offices.

She went to the hospital and has the health certificate, I'm not sure what you mean by sexual health though. I will ask what they checked for.

Proof, well she has hundreds of photo's of her with her students. I am not a teacher so i don't know what is normally expected from immigration and the work permit offices.

She went to the hospital and has the health certificate, I'm not sure what you mean by sexual health though. I will ask what they checked for.

Proof, well she has hundreds of photo's of her with her students. I am not a teacher so i don't know what is normally expected from immigration and the work permit offices.

Please see attached files with the criteria in English next to the Thai words. As already mentioned, some want a syphilis test, some don't.

An ordinary clinic cert. for 30 baht isn't enough for some DOL offices. So better go for this one. I've also the laboratory result of the syph. test.

Never heard of showing a photo where somebody's teaching kids.

Medical Certificate.pdf

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Please see attached files with the criteria in English next to the Thai words. As already mentioned, some want a syphilis test, some don't.

An ordinary clinic cert. for 30 baht isn't enough for some DOL offices. So better go for this one. I've also the laboratory result of the syph. test.

Thanks... down south in my province they require the photo of you teaching... I had checked this out with other folks up above they said never... had the request before... thus this shows, every province and work permit adminstration is a chiefdom of its own..

YES.. it is the S test...as I indicated, humorously.

• Like 1

Thanks... down south in my province they require the photo of you teaching... I had checked this out with other folks up above they said never... had the request before... thus this shows, every province and work permit adminstration is a chiefdom of its own..

YES.. it is the S test...as I indicated, humorously.

Before I went to the private hospital in my hometown, I went to see a doctor at Ubon's Sapphasit hospital. She's Chinese, couldn't speak a word of English and decided to give me the full package.

Starting from X-Ray to blood tests, urine checks, etc....when she mumbled that I'd be able to pick up the certificate, paying 4 K and wanted me to do a Jaba ( Amphetamine) test, because so many people in Isaan are on that shit, I started laughing thanked her for her kind words and left.

Went to the private I wrote about and left it after only 35 minutes, only left 300 baht there. Not 4 K.

What I'm trying to say is that a heroin addict would slip through, not even mentioning various alcoholics.

But you can go to a local clinic, get the ordinary 30 baht thing, go to a hospital get a cheap Syph test and you'll be okay. facepalm.gif .

Many thanks for the document.