Finland, home of the US$103,000 speeding ticket

webfact

Finland, Home of the $103,000 Speeding Ticket
Most of Scandinavia determines fines based on income. Could such a system work in the U.S.?
JOE PINSKER

NEW YORK: -- Reima Kuisla, a Finnish businessman, was recently caught going 65 miles per hour in a 50 zone in his home country—an offense that would typically come with a fine of a couple hundred dollars, at most, in the U.S.

But after Finnish police pulled Kuisla over, they pinged a federal taxpayer database to determine his income, consulted their handbook, and arrived at the amount that he was required to pay: €54,000.

The fine was so extreme because in Finland, some traffic fines, as well as fines for shoplifting and violating securities-exchange laws, are assessed based on earnings—and Kuisla's declared income was €6.5 million per year. Exorbitant fines like this are infrequent, but not unheard of: In 2002, a Nokia executive was fined the equivalent of $103,000 for going 45 in a 30 zone on his motorcycle, and the NHL player Teemu Selanne incurred a $39,000 fine two years earlier.

Full story: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

-- The Atlantic 2015-03-13

"Could such a system work in the US?"

Don't need it. Depending on the state, get about 3 tickets in a reasonably short time and lose the license for a time in addition to fines. Get caught driving while license suspended and go to jail.

A ticket for drunk driving will about ruin someone's life, but the fines and jail time are sufficient to deter sane people.

• Like 1

I pay the minimum as I do not have any income in Finland whistling.gif Last time it was €122,- for driving 145 where the limit was 100. I lost my license but you can get it back in 6 months. No biggie as I go to Finland only once a year rolleyes.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Utterly ludicrous to base punishment on income !!

So work your arse off at school while everyone else is out on the lash and then whilst paying a disproportionate amount of tax owing to your own success, have to stump up more than lazy <deleted> for committing a minor offence !!

As for the argument there is a "I'm so rich I don't care if its a small fine" etc etc you can surely put those words into the poor guys mouth too as he knows the book isn't going to be thrown at him because he's done sod all to contribute to society !

Its the politics of envy !

Sorry Benroon but your post is BS, the concept of basing punishment on income is realistic and ensures a meaningful deterrent, as has been shown countless times over the ages what use is a few dollar fine to a multi millionaire?

The whole idea of a fine is nothing to do with how well educated someone is or how hard they work, it is about stopping people from repeating offences. I can see the point in minor misdemeanors eg. dropping chewing gum on the pavement or littering, as much as I dislike this kind of behavior it is not life threatening.

Speeding on the other hand can be as I can't remember any km/Hour speed limits on roads 1000km from any population centers, speed limits are usually there to protect the pedestrian population and to prevent accidents. If someone has to do without a new BMW or European holiday to make that happen then so be it...

I repeat Its the Politics of Envy - its amazing how many times 'BMW' works its way into conversations when success bashing is the subject!

You can repeat all you like; it doesn't stop it being BS. Fines are intended to hurt - small fines don't hurt rich people, hence the logical need for them to be proportionate to wealth...

And, do you really believe all rich people worked hard and deserve the cash? No such thing as spoiled rich brats then?

My only change would be to base it on wealth, not last year's earnings - to make sure we catch the lazy rich!

• Like 2

Germany has a similar program for drunk driving. Get stopped and they take you to the nearest hospital where blood is drawn (you pay for the test BTW) and your alcohol level is determined by the hospital lab. No breath test needed and no arguing about the results

You get a lawyer only to minimize the amount of time your license is suspended. Your jail time is determined by your blood alcohol level but they don't waste the prison space on you , you just pay what you would lose in lost wages by your incarceration