Being stared at by Thais

Johnniey

Firstly, in Thai culture, it is very rude to stare. i it happens, don't condone it.

I have found n my 29 years living here that Thai people mostly don't stare at me like they would in say in a bar in London.

On the odd occasion that I've come across an idiot who doesn't look away, I simply say(in Thai), "Please don't stare, where I come from it is considered bad manners"

Edited by Johnniey

I don't even bother, it is no big deal. My first place of work in SE Asia was Vietnam. This was 20 years ago and everybody stared.

There is also the small matter of maybe nobody giving a damn where you come from and what is considered bad manners therewink.png

• Like 1

I manage to enter bars in London without being stared at, why are you different ?

I have no idea what you look like so I can't answer you.

A bar in London was an example.

I am a big guy and have always had problems with tough guys trying to prove something.

With my own children, esp. my 23 year old son, I had a problem when taking them to the West as they showed too much obeisance, caused by the Thai schooling BS.

Go to India, then you'll learn what getting unwanted attention is.

The worst that happened to me was Bujumbura, the capital of Burundi, standing still inevitably caused a crowd of curious onlookers gathering around me.

• Like 2

Well while waiting for a bus this morning at the junction of Sri-Nakarin and Thepperak roads I was stared at by a most attractive young lady with a lovely smile.I returned the compliment added a wink too. wai2.gif

Yes I wrote ''wink' . It is not a spelling error.giggle.gif

We old pervs deserve these little perks in our lives. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

Well while waiting for a bus this morning at the junction of Sri-Nakarin and Thepperak roads I was stared at by a most attractive young lady with a lovely smile.I returned the compliment added a wink too. wai2.gif

Yes I wrote ''wink' . It is not a spelling error.giggle.gif

We old pervs deserve these little perks in our lives. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

So your perk is a wink. Poor sad old bugger. :) Hope your missus doesn't have to help you with that as well.

(Wit adjusts his colostomy bag)

• Like 2

India the worst i have been,also up in the central highlands in New guinea,but that was more scary as they had,spears and machete.

Lived in Papua New Guinea early 90s as a kid, never noticed it, even in remote tribal areas like Rabaul.

But, do the Thais think it's rude to stare at you? I don't mind it, and I won't even say anything, I just stareback and lock them straight eyes to eyes until they look away. How dare they to stare at the superior farang. Back in the days they used to whip whoever has the guts to stare or even make eye onctact with the colonialists.

"...I have found n my 29 years living here that Thai people mostly don't stare at me like they would in say in a bar in London.

..."

So what's the OP about? Do Thais stare, or not stare? Do you want them to stare more, so that you can provoke a fight? Or even less, universally humbly averting their eyes, because "I am a big guy and have always had problems with tough guys trying to prove something".

I'm glad that I have not found myself in the same London pub as the OP. I'd probably make a sharp exit before the trouble started - one of the advantages of paying for your drinks as you receive them!

SC

Go to India, then you'll learn what getting unwanted attention is.

The worst that happened to me was Bujumbura, the capital of Burundi, standing still inevitably caused a crowd of curious onlookers gathering around me.

They can turn their heads through 360 degrees!!!!!

But, do the Thais think it's rude to stare at you? I don't mind it, and I won't even say anything, I just stareback and lock them straight eyes to eyes until they look away. How dare they to stare at the superior farang. Back in the days they used to whip whoever has the guts to stare or even make eye onctact with the colonialists.

Should bring that tradition back!!!!:o

• Like 1