Working Z VISA for China

I live in the North of Thailand.

Which Chinese Consulate would be the closest to me for getting a visa to work in China? I'm aware that there is a Consulate in Chiang Mai, but do they issue such Visa's or would I need to go to Bangkok?

wai2.gif

You can't simply go to a Chinese embassy or consulate, in any country, and apply for a Z (work) visa. Your (new) Chinese employer must firstly provide you with two official documents, one of which nominates the Chinese embassy / consulate at which the visa application must be made.

Having said that, in order to get a Z visa in Thailand, you need to have a residency visa for Thailand, that is a non-b, non-o or ED visa.

Finally, some provinces in China, Guangdong being a definite example, now require all Z visas to be obtained in the applicant's home country. China's visa laws and regulations maybe national but they are subject to provincial interpretation and application.

• Like 1

It is actually Guangdong, Guangzhou to be precise.

The company I will be working for will sort out all the paper work for the visa. They said I need to go to the consulate in the area that is governed by my place of residence. They know I live in Thailand. I have specified Chiang Mai Consulate to them as that would be convenient for me. If you are right, they may well pay for my journey to England and back again. That would be sweet!

Update: I did get the email to say that I would need to apply from my home Country, unless I had long term residence certificates for elsewhere. I've emailed them my work permit proofs for the last 2 years. Let's see what good that does.