Parents upset over ban on children riding motorbikes

Lite Beer

Riding without a helmet????

he he, nice clip possum, I love all Things Elvis. However, 3 things wrong, no helmet (as you said) it's not a Harley, and he's driving on the wrong side of the road.

No he's not, he's in America.

I was kidding. I lived in the US for damn near 20 years, pledged allegiance and love the US I even fought for the US. Period, Full stop, it's one of the best countries on earth. I was born and educated in the UK, lived for many years in Canada too, does that make me some kinda Soi Dog, if so... well so be it. I happen to love the dogs as well, actually more than many humans.

• Like 1

I love my freedom here and riding my bike with NO helmet, it is called freedom and I hate all the nanny state do gooders who preach about safety all the time, jeees it is not safe to walk down the street so we will all have to stay indoors in padded cells to stop hurting ourselves!!!! Live your life how you want to and stop telling others how to live theirs.

I could not agree more. One of the many reasons I love living here. I am a bit fed up of these little western nazis trying to impose there values on places like Thailand. If the law doesnt effect you stop trying to impose it on others. I know when I get in a car without a seat belt or bike without a helmet that it is more unsafe. My choice end of. I dont need a government to try and save me from myself.

And if you're in an accident that's your fault, but involving another driver. And you die from head trauma, the other person then has that on their conscience ..well done selfish bastard!

Wearing a helmet and a seat belt is the law in Thailand!

Good post Casualbiker, but if I was involved in an accident where the other person was 100% at fault and was killed, I would not have it on my conscience, and it the person was drunk, or even sober and riding at well above the speed limit in a built up area, I would be glad they were dead.

• Like 1

A recent report posted on here suggested that drowning was the biggest cause of death in children, kind of makes the whole argument about deaths on motorbikes when nobody suggested banning children from swimming pools ?

Good post, but I would think most of those drownings would happen in rivers or ponds.

I will say it again. I think most Thais are not capable of complex thinking or understand cause and effect. This extends to driving behaviour of motorists and motor bike riders. Isn't it obvious?

and also the people responsible for condition of the roads.

Don't know where you live Possum, but I live in Bang Na, Bangkok, the roads for the most part are excellent. Occasionally I go to the Mega Mall here, (put most US and Euro Malls to shame) but two roads down there's nothing but poverty and desperation. I spent time this morning "discussing" bribery and corruption with people here on TV... I'm amazed that people think it's OK to pay a little more to get what they want, or avoid criminal charges etc. The end result of that behaviour is the local populace cannot afford to live like you and I, and cannot afford anything but a motorcycle and some gas every week. Helmets? at 600 baht is 20 meals to them... there is no choice.

I live up country, but I know Bang Na, used to go with a girl from there. I agree with you, in Bang Na, the roads are good, I have ridden quite a few of them. Would that Mega Mall would be Seacon Square?

At one time it was the 5th biggest Mall in the world.

I love my freedom here and riding my bike with NO helmet, it is called freedom and I hate all the nanny state do gooders who preach about safety all the time, jeees it is not safe to walk down the street so we will all have to stay indoors in padded cells to stop hurting ourselves!!!! Live your life how you want to and stop telling others how to live theirs.

Says the guy who's been lucky not to have had an accident and end up either dead or brain damaged.

• Like 2

Says the guy who's been lucky not to have had an accident and end up either dead or brain damaged.

He is brain damaged by the way.

• Like 2

Heres a small % of accidents. Theres even one showing a non secured chin strap helmet rolling away from the users head.

Just watched all of it. Of the crashes with motorbikes involved, 6 were the cars fault, 6 the bike riders fault and the 13th crash i could not see who went through the red light.

Not really sure what this means, but for me being forced to wear a helmet when (from this video) 50% of accidents are caused by other vehicles is a bit strange.

Stopping the cause of the accidents would be a far more productive way to go.

I would like to see those who want "freedom" to make stupid choices, that is, ride without a helmet, have special id or sticker on motorcycle stating "Ignore injuries. Let rider find own way to hospital and/or morgue."

Banning children looks like they are doing something, but like all law enforcement here, it will be haphazard at best, perhaps just another way to shake down the people, or?

"The law, in it's infinite wisdom, punishes rich and poor alike for sleeping under bridges or carrying children on motorbikes". How many of the geniuses who come up with their ideas even own a motorbike? It's 4 wheels or nothing.

Even if the reason they are in an accident is because of some drunken <deleted> knocking you off a bike you were riding safely?

400 baht fine Sir, there are laws, so not feedom

chrissables...I ask you to join a simple experiment: I will wear a helmet and run into a wall -head first- from 10 meters.

You do the same without a helmet and we see, who is better of afterwards, okay?!
Let me guess: you are an American and the 2nd amendment is your gospel?! coffee1.gif

Well i am British 100%. And you?

I have no intention of running or riding into a wall or anything else.

I understand your point, but mine is to stop the cause of accidents, (as i have just done by refusing your kind offer to run into a wall!)

If a car or truck pulls in front of me you feel i should wear protection due to their inability to drive carefully?

Surely they should be punished to such a degree people will start to drive / ride with care!

But the "nanny" state tries to put the responsibility on the victim. It needs people to stand up and argue their point.

Professional racing car drivers wear helmets, professional motorcycle drivers wear helmets, professional bicycle racers wear helmets, professional jockeys and show jumping riders wear them, professional snowboarders wear them, professional skateboarders wear them, professional BMX riders wear them. Can they all be wrong? Helmets make sense.

Michael Schumacher was too, did it help him or prevent the accident?

• Like 1

Professional racing car drivers wear helmets, professional motorcycle drivers wear helmets, professional bicycle racers wear helmets, professional jockeys and show jumping riders wear them, professional snowboarders wear them, professional skateboarders wear them, professional BMX riders wear them. Can they all be wrong? Helmets make sense.

What a stupid reply.

• Like 1

What a stupid reply.

Agreed roo860 Most motorcyclists around here are not doing 200 mph when they crash.

• Like 1

What a stupid reply.

Agreed roo860 Most motorcyclists around here are not doing 200 mph when they crash.

Thank god!!!

• Like 1

Just another way of extorting money from the poor,.... not more than that....

Whether by bus, by car by air or any other transportation mode,.... Safety is never guaranteed except if it's FACE...

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

Whether by bus, by car by air or any other transportation mode,.... Safety is never guaranteed except if it's FACE...

Would be nice to think that they are trying to stop heads getting mashed!!!!!!

Would be nice to think that they are trying to stop heads getting mashed!!!!!!

Face smash!!!!....

• Like 1

chrissables...I ask you to join a simple experiment: I will wear a helmet and run into a wall -head first- from 10 meters.

You do the same without a helmet and we see, who is better of afterwards, okay?!
Let me guess: you are an American and the 2nd amendment is your gospel?! coffee1.gif

Well i am British 100%. And you?

I have no intention of running or riding into a wall or anything else.

I understand your point, but mine is to stop the cause of accidents, (as i have just done by refusing your kind offer to run into a wall!)

If a car or truck pulls in front of me you feel i should wear protection due to their inability to drive carefully?

Surely they should be punished to such a degree people will start to drive / ride with care!

But the "nanny" state tries to put the responsibility on the victim. It needs people to stand up and argue their point.

"If a car or truck pulls in front of me you feel i should wear protection due to their inability to drive carefully?"

No, you should wear a helmet to (better ) protect yourself!

There are actually laws -even in this place- which would -if followed and enforced- punish those with little, less or inadequat driving abilities.

Drunk drivers, drivers who speed...you name it!

The "nanny state" is punishing them.

And they punish you, for putting yourself at risk and others from having to pay for your medical- care, when you drool all over yourself, while expensive machines keep you fed and breathing!

Children should not be allowed on motorbikes or scooters without a helmet. Full stop.

In cars they should not be allowed to travel without the appropriate car seats.

I have been looked down upon by Thai parents at our school in KK because we put our kids in car seats.They scoff at us.

I pity them, not because they look down on me, but because they have not been educated in safety. It is the same people that think if you hold onto a child unbuckled in a front seat of a car at 80km an hour during a head on collision the kid will be safe. Why? Because they can hold onto the child or the air bag will save them.

If they cannot get to school because of a lack of transport then change it.

Gambling is illegal in Thailand and I would never ever gamble with my child's life when transporting them unsafely.

• Like 1

Professional racing car drivers wear helmets,

Well then, that means YOU wear a helmet when you drive your car, doesn't it? Helmets make sense.

It seems these 'professionals' you are referring to are competing with other professionals to be the fastest/most tricked out and their activity is not comparable to normal people in their day to day lives. Nice try, though. Please play again.

"We believe it's necessary to put a warning label on every motorcycle too. The label should read "Death and disability without using helmet". The label must be shown clearly on the motorcycle," OCPB deputy secretary general Virachai Chomsakorn said.

How many 8 year-olds can read??? And would they pay any attention??

And to all those parents who say, how will we go around our business?? Find a way, most other countries in the world do it without riding around with their kids on motorbikes. Thais just want the lazy easy option.

Bottom line: The government is trying to look out for children because there are so many irresponsible parents who put their kids in danger.

Find a way, most other countries in the world do it without riding around with their kids on motorbikes.

I'm pretty sure those other countries in the world do it without riding around with their kids on motorbikes. are far more affluent than Thailand. How about comparing Thailand's driving preferences to countries with equivalent living standards.

Try a more sensible proposal. How about helmet enforcement? Real enforcement? Only good quality helmets are allowed. Not beanies. Not skullcaps. 5,000 baht fines. Only one passenger per bike. 5,000 baht fine. Real enforcement works. Toy police work does not.

Real enforcement works. Toy police work does not.

Put down the pipe and remember you are on a THAILAND forum.

And if he had not been wearing a crash helmet he would have almost certainly died.

According to Mirror, Michael's family is planning to build him a £10 million hospital room in their home for his continued treatment and recovery. But the home care for Michael is already straining the family's finances and Corina has no other choice but to sell the family's Norwegian holiday home to help finance the said hospital room

Read more: http://www.christiantoday.com/article/michael.schumacher.health.condition.update.f1.boss.bernie.ecclestone.does.not.have.any.update/49903.htm#ixzz3UTufTCB2

Maybe it would have been a mercy if he had.

And if he had not been wearing a crash helmet he would have almost certainly died.

According to Mirror, Michael's family is planning to build him a £10 million hospital room in their home for his continued treatment and recovery. But the home care for Michael is already straining the family's finances and Corina has no other choice but to sell the family's Norwegian holiday home to help finance the said hospital room

Read more: http://www.christiantoday.com/article/michael.schumacher.health.condition.update.f1.boss.bernie.ecclestone.does.not.have.any.update/49903.htm#ixzz3UTufTCB2

Maybe it would have been a mercy if he had.

Little bit off topic but.

Michael may well still pull through

Time is a big healer, lets hope .

• Like 2

Professional racing car drivers wear helmets,

Well then, that means YOU wear a helmet when you drive your car, doesn't it? Helmets make sense.

It seems these 'professionals' you are referring to are competing with other professionals to be the fastest/most tricked out and their activity is not comparable to normal people in their day to day lives. Nice try, though. Please play again.

We're on about getting people to wear helmets, not a racing driver, use a bit if sense.