21 dead, 26 missing after Myanmar ferry sinks

Lite Beer

21 dead, 26 missing after Myanmar ferry sinks

Yangon, Myanmar | AFP |

YANGON: -- A passenger ferry has sunk off the coast of western Myanmar leaving at least 21 people dead and 26 missing, police said Saturday.

The "Aung Takon" went down late Friday after leaving the town of Kyaukphyu on its way to Sittwe in western Rakhine state.

"We have got 21 dead bodies, 2 men and 19 women. About 26 passengers are still missing," a police officer in Sittwe town who requested anonymity told AFP.

He added 167 people have been rescued, and that no foreigners were believed to be on board the doomed ship.

Three navy boats and a host of private vessels were sent to scour the area after news emerged that the ferry had gone down shortly after 8.30 pm (1400 GMT Friday).

"We suspect that the boat sank because it was overloaded with goods," the police officer said, adding that rescuers were still searching for survivors.

Many Myanmar citizens living along the impoverished nation's lengthy coastline and flood prone river systems rely heavily on poorly maintained ferries for transportation.

Sinkings are not uncommon. Ten people were killed in 2010 when a ferry capsized in the Irrawaddy delta region, while 38 perished in 2008 when a ship went down in the Yway River.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-03-14

Should know how to swim......where are the life jackets? This isn't Bangladesh!

Are you for real ? What a disgusting thing to say. I don't think the number one priority of most Myanmar local's is to pay for swimming lessons. Isn't Bangladesh....have you even been to Myanmar ??

Are you for real ? What a disgusting thing to say. I don't think the number one priority of most Myanmar local's is to pay for swimming lessons. Isn't Bangladesh....have you even been to Myanmar ??

WOW/ A Newbie Script policeman joins our ranks to keep our comments inline. Forget it pal 1000's before you have failed to keep the posters and quotes civil.cheesy.gifclap2.gifgiggle.gifbah.gif

WOW/ A Newbie Script policeman joins our ranks to keep our comments inline. Forget it pal 1000's before you have failed to keep the posters and quotes civil.cheesy.gifclap2.gifgiggle.gifbah.gif

Hahaha, i can but try. I'm all for a laugh and a joke but not at the expense of 21 people that just drowned. Shame the guy that posted that comment hasn't got the balls to justify why he feels the need make such comment's...im guessing he's the bell ringer type, spends all his time in Pattaya's bar's hoping some girl will tell him he's "hansom" whilst trying to reassure himself that he wont Jizz all over himself after 2 minute's and it will be 3000bht well spent....basically a sad basta!d wai2.gif