BKK - LHR

Felt 35

B747s at the moment. Wife is actually on TG916 tomorrow. Said the TG917 she was on was awful. Poor food and attendants. Plus point, plane was half empty in economy. TG916/7 ending at the end of June. TG910/1 going to A380 from 1 July.

B747s at the moment. Wife is actually on TG916 tomorrow. Said the TG917 she was on was awful. Poor food and attendants. Plus point, plane was half empty in economy. TG916/7 ending at the end of June. TG910/1 going to A380 from 1 July.

Thank you for the reply. Poor food and attendants I can live with on a flight but I'm more worried about the B747 itself which not exactly are of young age and also the on time rating on this route.

Felt.

... I'm more worried about the B747 itself which not exactly are of young age ....

You must be many times more likely to die in a road accident on the way to the airport than whilst on the plane.

Will that stop you travelling?

• Like 1

Look at the seating plan for your flight. If the First class has 9 seats then it's one of their newest 747s, if 10 seats then it's an old one.

Ofcourse the scheduled operating aircraft can change at very short notice so no absolute guarantees but generally like for like is substituted.

• Like 1

I miss the old DC-10. The Rolls Royce of wide bodied aircraft. Ask a pilot.

I worked on Tristars L1011 , much better than the old Death Cot DC10 wink.png

OP: Use Seat guru to see who operates what

The Tristar was also a beautiful aircraft to fly. I travel to south america many times on them. It was always a smooth ride.

• Like 2

The -100 Versions,we used call them The Red Rockets,quick but limited range. However the -500,what an improvement.

Back on subject,I still fly TG and like their Jumbos with 34 inch legroom,not looking forward the 31inch on the A380's. The same as crappy BA and I'm British,my worse two flights were both on BA's 747's. Reduced legroom and knacked crew.

• Like 1

The -100 Versions,we used call them The Red Rockets,quick but limited range. However the -500,what an improvement.

Back on subject,I still fly TG and like their Jumbos with 34 inch legroom,not looking forward the 31inch on the A380's. The same as crappy BA and I'm British,my worse two flights were both on BA's 747's. Reduced legroom and knacked crew.

I agree with you, seat pitch is almost everything. Before Pakistan went to hell I enjoyed PIA's seat pitch extensively. That is, I don't mind flying with Pakistani people and eating biryani. Although never to the UK. Both their business class and economy was better than Thai at the time, although they do not serve alcohol. In economy PIA was always better for me than Thai, mind you no alcohol, and Pakistani people. Thai always had drunk Swedes falling all over the aisles.

• Like 1

Ah,the Scandinavians. Lovely people,but the amount of times their late for flights,because their in the Bar!. LHR is like a cheap drinking club,compared to their home Country and yet the booze on the flight is free!.

Edited by MAZ3

Look at the seating plan for your flight. If the First class has 9 seats then it's one of their newest 747s, if 10 seats then it's an old one.

Ofcourse the scheduled operating aircraft can change at very short notice so no absolute guarantees but generally like for like is substituted.

Hi and thanks, but on SeatGuru both versions comes up with more than 9 seats in First class. 14 flat bed seat in version 1 and 10 flat bed seats in version 2?

Wife back last night on TG916. Economy half full. Three seats for herself to stretch out on. Said food was not good. Then got stopped at customs, first time in 30 years. Likes T2 though.

Edited by tso310

Hi and thanks, but on SeatGuru both versions comes up with more than 9 seats in First class. 14 flat bed seat in version 1 and 10 flat bed seats in version 2?

Sorry about that. Thai operates several versions of 747s and that check obviously doesn't work for every destination.

Using seatguru, if you scroll down a bit you do get additional information in the "overview" box. It doesn't tell you how old the aircraft is but is does tell you whether it has been recently upgraded or not which from your consumer point of view is of interest.

They fly the 777 now. I think you would find it an improvement.

Not in seat pitch you wont.......!!

• Like 1

Not in seat pitch you wont.......!!

Correct,newer aircraft,same crappy legroom. EVA will have the best legroom on direct flights at 33".

Yes Gents,2 inches does make a difference!

• Like 1

Have to disagree. Used to use back in the 80s Thai DC10 DHA-BKK and always enjoyed the flight. BA L1011 DHA-LHR the most uncomfortable aircraft I have ever flown.

Have to disagree. Used to use back in the 80s Thai DC10 DHA-BKK and always enjoyed the flight. BA L1011 DHA-LHR the most uncomfortable aircraft I have ever flown.

U guys actually remember Tristars and DC-10's from almost 40 years ago?

How's your near-term memory then?

Here's a clue... what's this thread about?