Starved of light and food, Thai temple 'sun bear' dies pitifully

webfact

Starved of light and food, temple 'sun bear' dies pitifully
By Coconuts Bangkok

kwansunbear.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An attempt to save an emaciated, light-starved “sun bear” discovered at a temple in Thailand ended in disappointment yesterday as the animal proved too far gone.

“Kwan” the Malayan sun bear died after the group discovered her starving and kept in a dark room Saturday during what the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand described as a routine check on wildlife kept at a temple.

“The bear had been in the room for so long, without any sunlight, that it got weak, skinny and lost almost all hair,” the group said on Facebook.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/16/starved-light-and-food-temple-sun-bear-dies-pitifully

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-16

Wildlife Friends identified the temple as Wat Nong Hoi in Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

Would be this one then (just in case someone wants to have a chat with the abbot):

https://goo.gl/maps/1txKB

https://plus.google.com/110894554103483458532/about?gl=en&hl=en

also called "Wat Ang Suwan".

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can you really indict a larger group of people (the community) from the evil workings of a smaller group? I am afraid yes, its possible. The willingness or sense of "ok" to do this type of evil act is derived from the sense of power or legitimacy from the local or larger population. This is not the work of one single person, I doubt. That more were involved, conspired, to do this barbaric treatment to a living animal suggests they felt impunity and were empowered to do it. They simply felt they would not be held accountable. In this regard a much larger sickness is suggested of the community. I am disgusted.

A a temple? A temple? How sick- for any people- for any time in history. If ever one could be involved in such a thing and remain robed the day after...

• Like 2

Life is cheap enough when it comes to the people. God help the animals.

It sickens me to see this type of treatment and neglect. We provide an occasional feed to the Soi dogs near our local market and try to help other animals we see in trouble. It doesn't take much.

I simply can't comprehend how anyone could let this happen. Couldn't they contact some agency like the Wildlife Friends Foundation that ended up responding here, albeit too late after their random check?

Can they charge people with animal cruelty here as they can in many other countries?

How monks can go to sleep at night knowing that this poor bear was starving and in the dark on it's own is so cruel. Sadly it is too late for this bear but a detailed investigation should be completed and those responsible punished with at least with a large fine and procedures put in place to make sure this never happens again at any temple in Thailand.

The state of the bear was indeed pitiful.

However, perhaps the condemnation of the temple is out of place.

Thai people dump their unwanted pets at temples, knowing that the monks and helpers will do their best to help them.

Ditto wild animals found injured or their babies abandoned.

The temples simply don't have the expertise or the money to look after these animals, but they usually try their best in difficult circumstances.

If Thailand had a proper organisations dedicated to animal welfare such as the RSPCA in the UK then the temples wouldn't have to bear this unwanted burden.

What a load of crap, It does not matter how they acquired this animal they kept it so they should have at least saw that it got food ( Sun Bears are omnivorous so I am sure they could have found something in the food they beg to feed it} and enough sunlight to keep it alive. Does not take a lot of expertise to know it like all animals has basic needs. If they could not figure this out I am sure they could have found someplace to take this poor animal to like the organization that found the poor thing or a zoo. I doubt they even tried. These monks sure did not do their best to help this poor creature in fact they did DAMN little, it makes me lose respect for the buddist religion. And you piss me off for trying to make excuses for them, there is no excuse for the way this poor creature was neglected it is criminal.

Have you seen the rather charming documentary series about three Roman Catholic priests and their housekeeper on Craggy Island off the coast of western Ireland, "Father Ted"?

How do you think they would have coped if somebody had dumped a Sun Bear in their parochial house? Do you think they'd really have known how to care for it? Feed it? Mrs. Doyle's tea, cake and sandwiches probably wouldn't have met its dietary requirements.

Your anger at the religious institution is misdirected. Your anger would better be directed either at the people who dumped the animal there, or wider Thai society for not providing proper refuges for animals in need.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I would suggest that the temple probably did its best with limited knowledge and limited resources.

• Like 1

Several derogatory comments removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

It does not matter whether the monks had too many animals or did not nkow what to do. That is crap.

There are enough zoos in this country that all they needed to do was have someone call for help.

The more I hear about monks the more I wonder about Bhuddism.

I am not really seeing anything that tells me that this is an enlightened religion.

I agree that the head flunky and all the other monks there should be removed. put them at temples that have no money and have no support working with the poor.

If this was the anglican or catholic churches of a muslim mosque there would be holy hell to pay.

Another thing for the General to look at for corruption.

Temple books should be reviewed every year by the governement and publlished for all Thais in the area to know what is happening at their wat.

Totally disgusting.

I was talking about monks last night and asking what the ---- do they do with all the money they collect from all the idiots giving them millions for making merit.

Usually praying for a win on the lottery.

Not that I am religious in any way but most others religions at least help people but what do this lot do?Absolutely sweet F --- as far as I can see.

By the way it was a Thai I was asking and they could not tell me what good they did for anyone.

They are totally arrogant bunch one nearly knocked me over the other day as he thought I should get out of his way .<deleted>

and he was kept inside for

drum rollllllll

money ?

Money???

ํYour evidence? (Or evidence of your prejudice.)

Or perhaps he was kept inside because the monks showed compassion and didn't have (or know of) any other option.

• Like 1