Sunblock

jdinasia

I have to admit it. I am quite often foolish.

I usually wear a short sleeved shirt when riding. Yet again I have managed to burn my lower arms. The worst of the burn being the inside of my elbows.

Anyone have advice for a decent sunblock that won't be too greasy and cause your hands to slip?

Best sunblock I know of is a good armored jacket and gloves. thumbsup.gif

David

I sweat like a (DELETED) in church, in the winter in Colorado. Armor is absolutely not gonna happen. Same with glove.

I come from a place where helmets aren't required. I do wear a helmet everytime I get on a bike here, but nothing else that leads to an increase in core temperature.

Edited by seedy
language
  • Like 2

When I first came to Thailand my favorite sunscreen was anything labeled "Sport" and 50 SPF or higher. The sport label means waterproof and it doesn't sweat off. This is very important.

Since then I've evolved and never use any sunscreen. I do it the Thai way, and wear long pants, long sleeved shirts, gloves & socks, and wear a hat which includes a back flap which protects the back of my neck. I haven't yet evolved to the point where I wear a balaclava covering my face... maybe someday I'll get there.

The creams get very tiresome, and the constant application, not to mention the cost at 500+ baht a tube is quite expensive on a yearly basis. Now I only go swimming at the beach in the morning, or early evening just before sunset, just like the Thais do. It works.

If I'm on holiday on the islands I'll use any "Sport" at 50+ SPF.

Good luck.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Sunblock would be pain in the (DELETED) so better to wear some light long sleeve when driving locally. Comfort goes over small risk of skin rash. Smart or not i just dont see me wearing full gear when going to local mall.

Edited by seedy
language
  • Like 1

We all know it's wrong - but sometimes some of us do not wear a proper armored jacket when riding. But I never ride without bike gloves (and helmet and boots) - so the slipperiness of sun block is not an issue for me as I don't need it for my hands. So I just slap any block on my arms and back of neck.

My helmet has a peak so that keeps my face in the shade - and I wear Kevlar jeans as they help with the exhaust heat as well as gravel rash protection and sun blocking duties.

My theory (probably suspect) is that in a low speed spill it will be my hands, head and feet likely to hit the road. Elbows may also be vulnerable and I've thought about using skateboard elbow pads ..... but I think they may just get rotated in an accident?

Best sunblock I know of is a good armored jacket and gloves. thumbsup.gif

David

I sweat like a in church, in the winter in Colorado. Armor is absolutely not gonna happen. Same with glove.

I come from a place where helmets aren't required. I do wear a helmet everytime I get on a bike here, but nothing else that leads to an increase in core temperature.

I come from a place where helmets aren't required.

Man you are so lucky to have lived somewhere where the choice is yours... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

We all know it's wrong - but sometimes some of us do not wear a proper armored jacket when riding. But I never ride without bike gloves (and helmet and boots) - so the slipperiness of sun block is not an issue for me as I don't need it for my hands. So I just slap any block on my arms and back of neck.

My helmet has a peak so that keeps my face in the shade - and I wear Kevlar jeans as they help with the exhaust heat as well as gravel rash protection and sun blocking duties.

My theory (probably suspect) is that in a low speed spill it will be my hands, head and feet likely to hit the road. Elbows may also be vulnerable and I've thought about using skateboard elbow pads ..... but I think they may just get rotated in an accident?

In any spill your elbows/arms/shoulders are almost certainly going to hit the road, more than any other part of your body. Every time I have come off, it has always been those areas that took the most impact. Why not try a light biker jacket instead? On the whole a little bit warmer but, as others have said it keeps the sun off and will at least help against road rash.

• Like 1

Vaseline makes a body lotion that's SPF 30. It's available everywhere (Big C etc). I use that all the time. It's effective and cheap at like 250 baht for a big bottle. Smaller bottles are available. The only problem is it's not waterproof. If you're at the beach you need waterproof lotion like the Nivea above which is at least twice as expensive. Anything over SPF 30 doesn't really do that much more.

I use both depending upon what I'm doing. Before you got out during the day, lather up. Then wear sun protective clothing.

The sun is not your friend in Thailand. Wear a wide brim hat. Clothing varies in effectiveness against the sun. If you can see the sun through the material it's minimally effective. Denim jeans are highly effective for instance. A white tshirt has almost no effectiveness. Wear a wide brim hat. Tilley hats from Canada are the best I've found especially with airflo vents.

I see the dermatologist every six months to have any rough spots on my skin frozen off. Any newly developed mole or one that's getting bigger should be looked at immediately. My brother just had 3/4 of his ear removed in America for skin cancer. Skin cancer kills and this is a very dangerous place to get it. Sun screen is your first line of defense.

I use both depending upon what I'm doing. Before you got out during the day, lather up. Then wear sun protective clothing.

The sun is not your friend in Thailand. Wear a wide brim hat. Clothing varies in effectiveness against the sun. If you can see the sun through the material it's minimally effective. Denim jeans are highly effective for instance. A white tshirt has almost no effectiveness. Wear a wide brim hat. Tilley hats from Canada are the best I've found especially with airflo vents.

I see the dermatologist every six months to have any rough spots on my skin frozen off. Any newly developed mole or one that's getting bigger should be looked at immediately. My brother just had 3/4 of his ear removed in America for skin cancer. Skin cancer kills and this is a very dangerous place to get it. Sun screen is your first line of defense.

I've yet to get sunburn through a T-shirt

• Like 2

I sweat like a xxxxx in church, in the winter in Colorado.

I've spent many winters in Colorado, yet I fail to understand this simile.

Even in very cold weather, I sweat.

The colloquialism is Southern.

I am also a sweaty mother and burn easily, wearing a long sleeved shirt, cargo pants, socks and shoes is the only answer around town and gloves too. That is about as cool as you can be, collar up and sleeves buttoned down and then get a silk balaclava. I probably don't look cool but really I am.

I was one of the pioneers of windsurfing fully clothed (okay shirt and shorts) in Australia in the early eighties, a few people laughed, who gives a ship? Back then us Brits were all pretty stupid in the sunshine, probably because we hadn't seen it before, I got burned once/twice and learned. Then the Ausis bought out "Slip Slop Slap" after seeing me setting the trend.tongue.png

I have never heard of anyone earning a reward here for being the best dressed, so that's okay by me.

Sunbollocks are expensive, greasy and wear off without warning.

Uses this for years. Nose and Face.

Avoids the Halloween Mask look after a long day on the Road.

Non Greasy.

attachicon.gifSunblock.JPG

Thanks. I have used that at the beach in the past and liked it. I just couldn't remember if it was too greasy.

I only go on rides of more than 1/2 an hour about once a week. I always wear jeans and shoes, so a bottle should last quite awhile. I am not worried about the price, just the efficacy.

Long sleeve T shirt. Jeans. Boots and a 3/4 helmet. The sleeves are for the sun burn on my arms and upper torso. Believe it or not, sunblock blocks more than sun. It blocks pores, so you can't sweat. The long sleeves allow you to sweat. Jeans for below the waist. Boots for solid grip on whatever surface. Sun block for the back of my hands. I use ladies hair bands to hold my sleeves down to limit how high my sleeves can ride up my arms. I leave the lower end of the sleeves hanging loose to get more airflow in the sleeves. I have even opened the fly of my jeans and propped my legs up on the pegs to let air flow through.

The helmet is for my nose ears and face. Sunblock will just not do the trick. I even had some Banana Boat SPF 110, Still burned.

Long sleeve T shirt. Jeans. Boots and a 3/4 helmet. The sleeves are for the sun burn on my arms and upper torso. Believe it or not, sunblock blocks more than sun. It blocks pores, so you can't sweat. The long sleeves allow you to sweat. Jeans for below the waist. Boots for solid grip on whatever surface. Sun block for the back of my hands. I use ladies hair bands to hold my sleeves down to limit how high my sleeves can ride up my arms. I leave the lower end of the sleeves hanging loose to get more airflow in the sleeves. I have even opened the fly of my jeans and propped my legs up on the pegs to let air flow through.

The helmet is for my nose ears and face. Sunblock will just not do the trick. I even had some Banana Boat SPF 110, Still burned.

I agree regarding sunblocks, but noooooooooooo! not a T Shirt. Your neck/shoulder area will burn like buggari, may even get sunstroke, get a shirt with a collar and then put the collar up.

Not sure about riding around Thailand "Biggles Flies Undone" with legs akimbo style in public, not the right message I suspect. Still if you think the Police will buy it, who am I to criticise?w00t.gif