Getting hold of GBP outside of BKK

Hey everyone

I am heading back to the UK next month and i'm looking to exchange my baht into pounds. I really want to do this here in Thailand because the exchange rate looks terrible back home. The problem I'm having is actually finding GBP in the south of Thailand. None of the currency exchanges in Hat Yai have a decent supply of GBP...one (kin exchange) has said that he will be going to BKK next week and he can get me some if I transfer him some money now but i'm not too keen on that idea!

I don't mind heading up to Krabi or even Phuket (last resort - would have to work out if it's worth the cost) but I'm not flying out of BKK so changing it there isn't really an option. Does anyone know anywhere in the south of Thailand that has a decent supply of GBP on hand at any one point or is paying a deposit the only way to go!

Cheers

Nick

The only way we have found is to go into our bank on a regular basis and see if they've taken any sterling over the counter. They won't even order it for us. Last week we asked the manageress and she said she didn't have any. One of her assistants chipped in to say she 800 pounds in the drawer so we bought that straight away. We are in the northeast, but I reckon this goes for most of Thailand outside of BKK and the likes of Pattaya.

I've changed local currency to sterling at various international airports in the Far East (but not in Thailand) . The money exchanges appear to hold sizeable amounts, but the exchange rate might not be the best. Should be good as a last resort though.