New 90 Day Report Ruling.

Well this is a first to me.

I recently reported on TV about a friend who got his Non O Imm and subsequent extension based on retirement from Bangkok Immigration.

He moved to Amnat Charoen, reported change of address using forms TM 28 and TM 30 without any problems........but was then refused 90 day reports at Amnat Charoen.

This week another friend who initially got his extension based on retirement from Bangkok Immigration, but has since lived in Roi Et and already done two 90 day reports at Amnat Charoen was today refused another.

After speaking to the boss at Amnat Charoen, he tells me they are only following a new order issued by the Commissioner of Immigration, Bangkok 1 in December.

That order apparently states that 90 day reports must be completed at the Immigration Office who issued the extension.

So Amnat for one won't allow 90 day reports at their office if you didn't get the extension there.

He tells me every Immigration office received this order.

I pushed him further anticipating problems arising, such as;

Would Bangkok accept a 90 day report by post when you now live in another province and have registered your address within that new province.

His reply wasn't 100%. They should, but better to go in person! I haven't been able to contact Bangkok 1 to ask directly.

If I go on holiday to another area for a month or so, can I do reports at another office.

His reply, you can report to your local Immigration office in person 2 weeks before or 7 days after the report is due.

You can send it by post 15 days before from anywhere in Thailand, so it shouldn't be a problem if your away for a month or so.

Anybody else heard the same, it's not a problem as long as we're all aware of it, although I'm sure I read on TV that some Imm offices won't accept 90 day reports by post.

Ok, Immediate problem for my friend, he isn't going to get his report slip back from Amnat in time to do his report at Bangkok anyway.

Option over the border to Lao and re-entry to get another 90 days............Question.....does he need a re-entry permit?

Edited by Faz

Yes he needs a re-entry permit or he will lose his current extension of stay.

Reports have always been required to the office issuing the extension of stay (although a few would allow some others to report to help for those in travel status).

This 'new rule' appears to be being applied consistently across the country.

It hs become an issue for those living upcountry and 'buying' their extension in Pattaya. There are plenty of agents willing to report on your behalf- for a fee, but a lot cheaper than geting re-entry permit.

I agree with Ubon Joe that it seems ridiculous, where someone has submitted change of address paperwork, that they cannot 90 day report in their new location.

• Like 2

Well it must be a localized issue, my Extension of stay is from Chiang Mai Immigration office, having a house in Chiang Mai and one in Hua Hin I do my 90 days in Chiang Mai and/or Hua Hin without problems so far, last report was done in Hua Hin late February.

• Like 1

I have a home in two places in Thailand, and do 90 day reports at each one depending on my schedule. It created some questions initially, but if you can prove you live in more than one place, they will not give you any trouble doing the reports like this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't agree more with your opinion Joe.

Why have a procedure to follow informing Immigration of change of address, if you still have to go back to the office that issued the extension.

In this case my friend has already completed 2 x 90 day reports at Amnat without a problem.

Perhaps well written orders that can't be misinterpreted is required.

Looks like a trip to Savannakhet on Friday.

Turns out my mate has a multi entry re-entry permit. I'm going along for the experience and I'm the one that needs to pop into Amnat for a re-entry permit.

Slightly off topic.

I've always read that the fine for late reporting is 2,000 baht. But I've just reported and on my new report slip I notice it says "The fine of Overdue Notification is not exceeding 5,000 baht"

Based on that and what I've read on TV, I have to assume the minimum charge is 2,000 baht if 8 or more days late, and that the fine will increase to upto 5,000 the later one reports.

Can someone please confirm how the fine system works for late reporting.

ubonjoe, on 17 Mar 2015 - 15:27, said:

Chong Mek is another option. It is a walk across crossing and is less busy than the bridge at Mukdahan.

Dependent on where you will be starting from it might be closer.

Thanks for the heads up Joe.

Going from Roi Et to Amnat for a re-entry first, so Suvannakhet is probably the closest.

The irony of this situation is that the whole reason for regularly reporting is confirming your address in Thailand. Big brother wants to know where you are!

There is a procedure to report change of address especially in a different province with the office of that province.

That suggests you should report to the Immigration office within the catchment area of your address....that makes sense.

This new order suggests you report to the Immigration office where the extension was issued but where you may have no registered address.

That defeats the object of the exercise in my opinion.

A lot of people call it 90 day reporting of your address. But it is really a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country.

The best way to try to get a clarification of the rule would be to call 1111.

It seems not all immigration offices are applying the new rule the same way.

Totally agree Joe.

Proof of address is only required when doing the extension.

However if 90 day reports were just a case of staying longer than 90 days, then why would it matter which office you had to report to?

The main problem seems to stem from poorly written orders, that only the Commissioner knows what is in his head, but the meaning is misinterpreted by other officers who don't know what he was thinking when he drafted the order.

I'll try 1111 tomorrow, although it wasn't answered today.

Getting some clarity would help a lot of people who may encounter the same problem.

I'll report any further findings on this thread.

• Like 1

elviajero, on 17 Mar 2015 - 17:06, said:

Slightly off topic.

I've always read that the fine for late reporting is 2,000 baht. But I've just reported and on my new report slip I notice it says "The fine of Overdue Notification is not exceeding 5,000 baht"

Based on that and what I've read on TV, I have to assume the minimum charge is 2,000 baht if 8 or more days late, and that the fine will increase to upto 5,000 the later one reports.

Can someone please confirm how the fine system works for late reporting.

According to the Immigration website:

Notice of staying in the Kingdom over 90 Days.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

• The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.
  • If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.
  • If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case.
  • Like 1

What if you are changing where you live from in one province to another one permanently. In this case you should only have to do a 90 reporting at your new address not your old address Reporting Center.

Will this be correct. I am on a retirement visa.

Edited by czhteck

What if you are changing where you live from in one province to another one permanently. In this case you should only have to do a 90 reporting at your new address not your old address Reporting Center.

Will this be correct.

That is the way it should be.

But some immigration offices are saying you still have to report where you got your extension which in most cases like you mentioned a person would no longer have a local address to put on the form,

czhteck, on 17 Mar 2015 - 19:41, said:snapback.png

Will this be correct.

But some immigration offices are saying you still have to report where you got your extension which in most cases like you mentioned a person would no longer have a local address to put on the form,

If I had to report to my old Immigration office it would be a 500 mile return air trip. a two day trip for me if this case. You should have only have to report 90 days where you currently live.

This is a bit of inconvenience, one day it's this, the next day it's that? No, wonder everyone gets confused, farangs and Thais :-)

But, like many say.......we're in Thailand :-) Like it or leave it............

czhteck, on 17 Mar 2015 - 19:57, said:

czhteck, on 17 Mar 2015 - 19:41, said:snapback.png

czhteck, on 17 Mar 2015 - 19:41, said:

Will this be correct.

If I had to report to my old Immigration office it would be a 500 mile return air trip. a two day trip for me if this case. You should have only have to report 90 days where you currently live.

That is case scenario some Immigration offices are following.

And the attitude is it's not their problem.

Common sense should prevail, if you followed all the procedures and reported your new address to a new office in that province.

I'll try and get a response tomorrow through 1111.

Does anyone have a number for Bangkok Immigration 1. Couldn't get a reply on the numbers from the internet.

• Like 1

REQUIREMENT FOR REPORTING CHANGE OF ADDRESS.

As a newbie coming next week on a retirement visa - what are my obligations regarding notifying my address of residence. My address is different to that in my original application. Can I notify the immigration officer at Bangkok airport upon arrival ?

REQUIREMENT FOR REPORTING CHANGE OF ADDRESS.

As a newbie coming next week on a retirement visa - what are my obligations regarding notifying my address of residence. My address is different to that in my original application. Can I notify the immigration officer at Bangkok airport upon arrival ?

When you arrive you will put your address on the arrival card.

After that you normally do not have to worry about reporting your address.

UPDATE:

Contacted the 1111 centre this morning and discussed the problem with a Mr Kamen.

(The 1111 centre is actually located at Bangkok Immigration office)

OK, here's the outcome.

Provided a foreigner has followed the Immigration rules and Police Orders, that is, notified the Immigration Office in their province or local Police Station if their address is not in the same province of their local Immigration, AND completed a TM28 (Change of Address), AND a TM30 (Owners notification of an Alien), AND reported such WITHIN 24 hours of moving to a new address, the your new Immigration Office should continue to accept 90 day reports at that office regardless of where you received your Extension.

Any discrepancies to following the above and your new Immigration Office can refer you back to the office where you got the extension.

In the case of my friend, Amnat Charoen stated they have never received a TM30 from the house owner, hence they have told him to refer back to Bangkok where he received his extension. On checking his documents, he has a receipt for the TM28, but not the TM30 although he is adamant he handed the form in.

We will attend Amnat Charoen Office on Friday with a TM30 and see if they will complete his 90 day report then. It will be at their discretion as far as Bangkok are concerned because he did not follow the correct procedure. They (Amnat Charoen) completed his last 90 day report to allow him time to send them the TM30 which they say they never received.

(If they refuse again, it's over the border to Savannakhet to reset his 90 days)

Again, it is ultimately your responsibility to check the stamps and dates issued by Immigration and to make sure you get receipts and keep them safe.

Immigration is having it's knuckles rapped at the moment, by the powers that be, and are being instructed to 'follow the rules' themselves.

There are no changes to the rules (as many TV members report) just the tightening up and enforcement of the existing rules.

So if you are asked for something you weren't asked for last year, it's probably because last year they were lenient and didn't have someone rapping their knuckles. They are not being pedantic but are doing what they should have been doing before. Follow the rules and stay safe everyone.

I spent around 90 minutes online to the 1111 number (he twice put me on hold while he contacted Amnat Charoen) and the total cost was around 30 baht from my mobile, from Roi Et.................very cheap in my opinion..

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

At least there is a clarification from Bangkok with a name.

I have suggested to others with this problem they call 1111 but never got any feedback as to whether they called or not.

Now to see if they will do it after he gives them a TM30 again.

I have suggested to others with this problem they call 1111 but never got any feedback as to whether they called or not.

If you have a Yellow House Book and own ( biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77vtPJZQ ) your home would you still need to fill out a TM30

Edited by boloa

If you have a Yellow House Book and own ( biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77vtPJZQ ) your home would you still need to fill out a TM30

That will depend upon the office where you do your reports.

I have never been asked for one.

The max fine set by the immigration act is 5000 baht.

Meaning, that the "Ruling" of the 500 Bht a day penalty ( 365 x 500 = 182'500 Bht per year, no matter what), is now off the table, right?

Cheers.

The 5000 baht max fine is for not doing or being late for making a 90 day report.

The 500 baht per day fine is for overstay with a max fine of 20k baht.