Thai car to Laos?

Asheron

I need to get a new visa at Savannakhet so me and my friend (his car and in his name) would make the trip together. The car is on a finance so technically it's not his car yet so i'm asking for him:

What papers does he need to take with him?

How much is the "fee/tax" at Mukdahan border to be allowed to drive inside Laos?

• 2 weeks later...

Unlilkely you'll be allowed as you would need permission from the "owner" i.e. the finance company. You could always ask though.

You can easily bring a Thai car in someone else's name across to Laos if you first get the requisite purple international transport permit and bring along the registration along with a power of attorney from the owner BUT a finance company is unlikely to approve a request to take the car out of the country. You could ask, and see if there's an option to make a deposit for the book. Some companies might oblige, especially if a few conditions are met including: 1) you have not defaulted on any payments and always made them on time; 2) you are getting close to the end of the financing period, for example 3 years out of a total of 4 years have elapsed (I wouldn't try to take a car out that's on say a 5-year loan and you have only made like 2-3 payments as that's unlikely to be approved) or 3) you are going on an organized tour with tour leader who can guarantee you are coming back.

However, some finance companies, such as Tanachart are unlikely to approve any request to take a car on finance out of the country under any circumstances - the most likely exception would be number 3).

Of course you can always ask by calling their Call Center on 1770 or the respective numbers for other finance companies. But chances are it's unlikely to be permitted.