Growing Avocados

jcgodber

Has anyone successfully managed to grow fruit bearing avocado trees? I live in the Sa Kaeo area.

I am a lover of Mexican food and have been trying to grow the trees for 2 years now with very limited success.

I now have 2 trees each about ½ meter high.

I understand that there is a Thai government agriculture station growing avocado west from Khorat on highway 2 at or near Pak Chong. Any comments J

I am involved with the Pak Chong station and have 50 trees growing on our land north of Ban Phue. They have been in the ground for almost 1 year and are doing great. If the trees you are growing are from seeds, they will not produce the quality of the grafted trees and maybe not at all.

Also the nurseries along the road in the Pak Chong area sometimes have a better selection of trees..But they are a little more expensive..

Here is a great article on avocado growing

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/X6902E/x6902e0b.htm

Good Luck with the project

Thanks for the information. I will be in the Pak Chong area this coming weekend as we will be driving in a rally sponsored by Isuzu.

Yes my 2 trees are from seeds, and I had planed to graft them. BUT with your advise will now go and buy several trees. Hay how expensive can they be? One avocado bought in Patteya cost 40 baht or more.

Thanks,Jim

There is also an avocado research station in Tak, which is where we got our trees. This year we have harvested one lot of about 20k off one tree, and have a couple more trees producing but not yet ready to harvest. The drought last year took a heavy toll on the trees (no fruit!) but we are ready for it now.

We live on an island in the south, so if ours produce, yours should too. Took a while tho (of course, the father-in-law refused to cut down the coconut trees, and refused to stop spraying herbicides too, so that didn't help :o )

Good luck and let us know how much those trees cost.

Thanks for the information. I will be in the Pak Chong area this coming weekend as we will be driving in a rally sponsored by Isuzu.

Yes my 2 trees are from seeds, and I had planed to graft them. BUT with your advise will now go and buy several trees. Hay how expensive can they be? One avocado bought in Patteya cost 40 baht or more.

Thanks,Jim

Jim...

Do not remember the exact cost but it was less that 100 baht per tree...

Stoneman

• 3 weeks later...
There is also an avocado research station in Tak, which is where we got our trees. This year we have harvested one lot of about 20k off one tree, and have a couple more trees producing but not yet ready to harvest. The drought last year took a heavy toll on the trees (no fruit!) but we are ready for it now.

We live on an island in the south, so if ours produce, yours should too. Took a while tho (of course, the father-in-law refused to cut down the coconut trees, and refused to stop spraying herbicides too, so that didn't help :o )

Good luck and let us know how much those trees cost.

where is Tak? i have 2 trees growing from seed but too early to know if they will fruit.

steve

where is Tak? i have 2 trees growing from seed but too early to know if they will fruit.

steve

Steve...

Trees grown from seeds will not normally produce a good fruit crop. The trees grown from seeds are used as root stock and buds from producing trees are grafted onto the root stock. But they are fun to grow..

Stoneman

Very true stoneman, the trees will be very slow to produce fruit (if at all) and won't produce true, also could very well be inferior fruit. Certainly not worth waiting 15 years for!

Tak is north of Kanchanaburi. There is an ag research station there as well.

Decisions, Decisions, I am trying to think what to do with !5 Rai, I am planning to buy with my wife at the end of the year. I think that a Row or two of Avacardo's could be a nice earner.

Are the tree's sold along Highway 24 ?

I wish you all luck.

I bought a villa in Nerja, Spain about 6 years ago.It came with 420 avacardo trees which I had to keep (stipulated by local council).

The 1st time I switched on the irrigation system water went everywhere, apart from near the trees.

After that it just got worse :o

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying some farm land and want to grow a few trees. ANY UPDATES ? I live in chiang mai city

Are you Thai? I would be curious to know how you are " buying some farm land" in Thailand when farangs can't buy or own land here.

• 2 weeks later...

i think that is just a figure of speech about him buying land, in fact he did buy it buy giving money to his wife or G/F he just doesn't own it,,j my wife all the time calls our land,,:your land she says, she says your house and your truck,, anyway back on the topic, i will be going thru Pak Chong in June to look at some GS puppies at the Army place there, any better directions on this avocado place, i want to just pick up about 10 plants for my wifes land,,, ha ha

thanks

Charles

fascinating thread. I am very interested in trying to grow some avocado trees but have been told that i'd have more luck if i was in chiang mai or somewhere further north than Khorat also does anyone know if it's true that it can take 10 years or more for a relocated tree to fruit??? Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

Anyone know about growing Avacados in the South? I am in Krabi and cook a lot of Mexican food and really it just isn't the same without Guacamole. At the worst I would also be interested (if they can't be successfully grown here) how I could even get them sent here from North Thailand or wherever others are growing them. Any ideas?

We have trees, we haven't had great luck with them due to weird weather -- but when teh weather is right and it doesn't rain hard and knock all the little flowers off our trees, they turn out good. We got our trees in Tak years ago, presumably still available now but I don't know for sure.

• 1 month later...

i have 50 trees coming from that research center mentioned above. i need to get my wife to call back again and see about them, i had put order in around October and i think recieve in May i believe. i will put them in the back of the property and just hope for the best.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Ran across several of these avocado threads searching for info on planting. They are in season right now in Chiang Mai and there are two varieties being sold with one being very delicious. Am going to try to grow some from seeds unless I can find some grafted trees.