Shockwave Flash Crashing

chiangrai

When I'm going from video to video on youtube with Firefox it keeps

giving me a message saying "shockwave flash has crashed and that there maybe a problem with the plugin...........Do I want to close or wait"

I have the latest Firefox and windows 8.1.

Does anyone know what I can do about this.

You don't really need the Shockwave player a.k.a. Shockwave For Director. It's essentially a developers tool.

To play normal videos, just use Flash. If that's what you're using already, do the following.

1. Download the Flash uninstaller from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller
  2. Download the latest version of Flash player which is 17.0.0.134 from here: https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html (download the 2nd one called "Plugin-based browsers" and choose the .EXE file)
  3. Run the uninstaller which removes it from the PC completely.
  4. Run the installer. Decide if you want to have Adobe update it automatically or not which you'll see on the menu.

If you choose to allow Adobe to check for updates, it does that every hour which I think is a waste of resources so I always checkmark the bottom one to "Never check for updates".

Adobe now aligns their monthly security updates with Microsoft, so every Patch Tuesday, or sometimes a day later. So all you need to do is to go to the same link in step #2 to check for newer versions.

The uninstaller remains on your machine so that you can use it again to update to a later version.

EDIT: close Firefox before you uninstall and before you reinstall Flash.

Edited by Xircal