American jumps to his death from flyover

Thaivisa News

Very sad to keep hearing these stories, whatever happened to paradise?

Thailand is a paradise for suicide. Affordable, with lots of opportunity, and no nanny state surveillance, health and safety, largely unregulated drugs, and no Christian ethics insisting on a long slow painful and undignified death for all people.

The only thing needed is consideration for others - family, cleaner, etc

• Like 1

This is very sad every time it happens, and it's quit a few per year. Hope one day we will have a hot line and a support system in place for guys like this. He was seen with his suitcases at the bus stop and I can't stop wondering if he would have had a number to call and talk about his problems if that would have changed the outcome. I would not mind and I'm sure most of us here would not mind to support a hot line for expats. And also help with some money or shelter until they get the help they need or be able to return home. It's so sad that life have to end like this even if you have a terminal illness. A lot of guys here have problem with their girl or boy friends and should benefit of some kind of support.

On Earth closed to us, about 6000 or more years ago some have it.

May Connor Michael Callahan have found what he was looking for in the end.

• Like 1

Adul said police suspected that the man might suffer from depression because he had chronic illness.
This is always what the police say, even before any autopsy.
More like he had no home to return to, was broke, and started "teaching" to put food on the table.
Sure would be nice if some organization could become a TV "sponsor," and make TV members aware of a number for a help line.
I, for one, would contribute to the cost of repatriating guys like this. The incidents are getting closer and closer.

...about a year ago, I tried to start 'Expats in Distress Thailand'.....a few of our gracious members labelled me a charlatan and a scam artist....

...the idea was to raise 3 million baht...register for 1 million...get an operations location...get a vehicle...and have operating expenses...

...of course I would benefit from a visa, work permit....and keep myself off the streets....now someone else can make a try....

...then via public relations, money could be raised.....to help the countless foreigners that come here with good intentions....

..only to end up duped....broke......or worse.....

...go for it bro...

...still facing hostility,slander. malice ...after 12 years of paying and paying.....

...I called a famous 'hotline'......they still have not called me back....2 months later...so clearly NOT the answer....

....what's needed is a 'hands on' approach......and addressing the real social issues that foreigners face here.....

...when will the government pass legislation to protect unsuspecting foreign men....from 'losing everything'....time and again....

...it is not a 'cultural difference' phenomenon....and it is not the victim's fault....and it is a crime.....

This story bothers me more than some of the others.

I know it is none of my business but wish I knew where he was going and what the note said.

58 and an English teacher. I met a few guys when I was a teacher who had nothing and wonder if this guy was sick with no options?

Again, not sure a helpline and a free ticket back to the US would help. The US really does not have many resources other than a few homeless friendly cities.

There is a Samaritans branch in Bangkok. last xmas I was lonely and depressed so I phoned them,As soon as someone answered I thought what the hell am I doing said I was sorry for bothering them and hung up the phone.Didnt feel much happier doing that.But I can see why some people choose suicide.

Edited by Marra

Adul said police suspected that the man might suffer from depression because he had chronic illness.

More like he had no home to return to, was broke, and started "teaching" to put food on the table.

Sure would be nice if some organization could become a TV "sponsor," and make TV members aware of a number for a help line.

I, for one, would contribute to the cost of repatriating guys like this. The incidents are getting closer and closer.

Interesting concept: a 'help-line' for expats. I'd be willing to take calls. I was steady with a woman in California who took calls like that - relating to domestic abuse (mostly; wives getting beaten). She did a good job of it, and helped a lot of folks patch up their lives.

It's too bad there's not a Kavorkian type of option as a way out. Jumping from bridges or high places is painful and messy, and can traumatize others nearby - or even injure/kill others. Imagine a 180 lb body falling on you or your kid! There was a story of a farang who went out in a secluded spot near Mae Sai, put a plastic bag over his head, and died that way. He may have done something else (tied his hands?) to keep from tearing the bag off in reflex, I don't know. Sad, but at least it didn't screw up others in the process.

A young friend of mine in Hong Kong taped plastic over the window and aircon inlets and around the inside of the door of the smallest room in his flat, then got a burner that Chinese use for burning paper offerings (basically a metal bucket with ventilation in the bottom to help keep the fire going). He filled it with charcoal, then sat on the bed and drank a bottle of good scotch, once he was drunk enough he lit the charcoal and carried on drinking, eventually he passed out and the smoke from the burner finished him off. The coroner said it would have be totally painless. Its actually a very common way for people to end it in HK, despite all the tall buildings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal-burning_suicide

Anyway, RIP to Mr Callahan.

Interesting concept: a 'help-line' for expats. I'd be willing to take calls. I was steady with a woman in California who took calls like that - relating to domestic abuse (mostly; wives getting beaten). She did a good job of it, and helped a lot of folks patch up their lives.

It's too bad there's not a Kavorkian type of option as a way out. Jumping from bridges or high places is painful and messy, and can traumatize others nearby - or even injure/kill others. Imagine a 180 lb body falling on you or your kid! There was a story of a farang who went out in a secluded spot near Mae Sai, put a plastic bag over his head, and died that way. He may have done something else (tied his hands?) to keep from tearing the bag off in reflex, I don't know. Sad, but at least it didn't screw up others in the process.

A young friend of mine in Hong Kong taped plastic over the window and aircon inlets and around the inside of the door of the smallest room in his flat, then got a burner that Chinese use for burning paper offerings (basically a metal bucket with ventilation in the bottom to help keep the fire going). He filled it with charcoal, then sat on the bed and drank a bottle of good scotch, once he was drunk enough he lit the charcoal and carried on drinking, eventually he passed out and the smoke from the burner finished him off. The coroner said it would have be totally painless. Its actually a very common way for people to end it in HK, despite all the tall buildings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal-burning_suicide

Yes that is one of the better ways to go.

Depends on the situation (i have no kids), but if I were to have some painful terminal disease id rather end it then go on living in pain for my family. I would hope that people would understand that.. guess some are so caught up in religious matters to look logical at things.

Easy to say. Proves nothing.

Nope it does not.. and me being pro choice when ending life does not make me a bad person.. Makes me a freedom loving non religious person. I just don't believe in life at all cost. But i am from a country that did euthanasia for a long time already before other countries caught up. I believe its still hard to do in the USA (but things could have changed)

as noble as your intending this, how does one determine the genuine cases and possibility of someone playing it on to get a free ticket home ? yes there would be people who would stoop that low to con someone

for me the easiest solution is to require all farangs living on long term in Thailand to lodge some sort of bond for repatriation with a government department in Thailand as part of your conditions of getting a long term stay and the money can be used help those farangs who fall off the rails and need repatriating whether dead or alive back to their homes in farangistan, etc

I agree. But many of them are too far gone to immediately return home.

There would have to be a "treatment center" that the troubled could contact and undergo evaluation and treatment by qualified professionals, perhaps volunteers. Based on their opinion, the person in question could either be repatriated after stabilization, or, if faking it, booted out the door.

Tough row to hoe, no doubt, but few things in life worth doing, are easy.

The easy way would be to give them the phone number of certain posters on this thread, and said posters could encourage the depressed to kill themselves.

Good ideas.

Why not a register of TV members who are willing to take calls from troubled souls.

I am certain that there is a deep well of life experienced members that could be quality counsel.

Of course, the mention of fees or spruiking would earn a lifetime ban.

Thanks mate. Always wondered how I'd do it. Sounds like the best way when the time comes.

Oh but there is a kevorkian way out.

Head down to Samui or Ko Tao & get in a bar fight with some locals.

Me too. And I can offer short term accommodation. and even contribute to a ticket home.

Nothing is worth killing yourself.

I'm assuming this good will is for everyone and not just those from Europe, US, Canada, Australia, etc who are down on their luck?

The paradise ended probably when he realized that he wasted his live in paradise.

You can live here in our paradise bubble and have a happy life. But if the money (plus Thai GF/wife) is gone then you will face reality.

Or you start to learn language and culture and integrate and don't just depend on people who you have to pay for their presence.

• Like 1

I agree... Many TV members could use urgent help....??

Flyover,......meaning a walkover bridge for pedestrians wanting to get to the other side of the road?......Anyway,

Did anyone see him jump? Or was this another Myanmar crime?.........anything in his pockets? Anyone walking around with a baseball bat?........just wondering!

“flyover” could mean when a news article completely flies over your head.

SOMETIMES, =Daniel Ingalls= its a real suicide.blink.png

Just after that similar suicide seen from a security CAMERA.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/808179-german-tourists-suicide-jump-at-suvanarbhumi-airport/

Edited by ALFREDO

More like he had no home to return to, was broke, and started "teaching" to put food on the table

Seems like you jump to conclusions, without any evidence, as fast as the police. On the police side, the type of medication they found in his luggage may be the clue he suffered from depression and/or chronic illness.