Aggressive Driver

bonobo

Too many Whingers, who haven't driven in other crazy countries.Its not that bad, just play the cards your dealt.coffee1.gif

It is that bad. Every time I take to the roads, I feel more and more like it's only a matter of time before I'm involved in an accident. The more you drive, the higher the likelihood. You could be pottering along minding your own business and BLAM!, an oncoming genius decides now is a good time to overtake. I've seen it happen and it's only because I've noticed and swerved out of the way in time that I've lived to tell the tale. There's something particularly concerning about the strange mix of behaviours we see on the roads, the supreme (misplaced) overconfidence, aggression, disregard for consequence of one's actions, lack of forward planning, lack of spatial awareness, lack of basic road skills and let's not forget general dopeyness all the while in charge of powerful 3-litre turbodiesel vehicles. Let alone the strong possibility of alcohol and/or crystal meth added into the mix for good measure. I still can't get get my head around what kind of thought process makes it OK to just join a fast moving stream of cars from a smaller soi without even looking for flip's sake! (seen it done time and time again). I'm speaking from experience about driving on fast single and dual carriageway roads up here in the North East; perhaps it's better in BKK where speeds are limited because of constant logjams and drivers tend to be a bit more savvy from what I've seen.

Just look at the RTA ranking stats by country - they don't lie.

Edited by GlutinousMaximus

Too many Whingers, who haven't driven in other crazy countries.Its not that bad, just play the cards your dealt.coffee1.gif

It is that bad. Every time I take to the roads, I feel more and more like it's only a matter of time before I'm involved in an accident. The more you drive, the higher the likelihood. You could be pottering along minding your own business and BLAM!, an oncoming genius decides now is a good time to overtake. I've seen it happen and it's only because I've noticed and swerved out of the way in time that I've lived to tell the tale. There's something particularly concerning about the strange mix of behaviours we see on the roads, the supreme (misplaced) overconfidence, aggression, disregard for consequence of one's actions, lack of forward planning, lack of spatial awareness, lack of basic road skills and let's not forget general dopeyness all the while in charge of powerful 3-litre turbodiesel vehicles. Let alone the strong possibility of alcohol and/or crystal meth added into the mix for good measure. I still can't get get my head around what kind of thought process makes it OK to just join a fast moving stream of cars from a smaller soi without even looking for flip's sake! (seen it done time and time again). I'm speaking from experience about driving on fast single and dual carriageway roads up here in the North East; perhaps it's better in BKK where speeds are limited because of constant logjams and drivers tend to be a bit more savvy from what I've seen.

Just look at the RTA ranking stats by country - they don't lie.

..and yet the apologists keep insisting that Thailand is no worse than anywhere else. It's the lack of common sense that gets to me. I parked my car on beachroad Jomtien today for a couple of hours, when it came time to leave there were motorbikes front and rear of my pickup, 6 inches from my bumpers, and yet there was ample room to park their bikes 10 metres away. There is just no regard for the inconvenience they cause others. I might add that situation has happened to me many times in Thailand, it wasn't a one-off.

Edited by giddyup

Yesterday, I was driving up to a roundabout. This roundabout has a separate exit lane to the left so you can turn left without getting into the actual roundabout and wait for the lights.

I saw a motorcycle up ahead dart from the far left lane, presumably because he didn't notice that the lane was becoming the exit for the left turn. In back of him was an SUV. I could not tell how close the motorcycle came to the SUV, but the driver never hit his brakes, so I would think it was not too close.

What the driver did, though, was speed up and swerve to the right, making the motorcyclist have to dodge drastically to get out of the way. The SUV then swerved at the motorcycle again, barely missing him as the motorcyclist was only just able to dodge. The motorcyclist was able to dart forward between the traffic, get to the front of the waiting cars, and turn into the roundabout.

The SUV driver was now into the roundabout lane. he tried to back up so he could get back into the exit lane, but by that time, a few other cars, including me, had pulled up, and he couldn't back up. He had to wait for the light.

Even if the motorcyclists was too close to the SUV to dart to the right, I hardly think that was cause to try and run the guy over.

I hear you Bonobo, but "right of way" doesn't appear to be a readily understood concept over here from what I've observed. If anything, it's "might of way" and your aggressive driver was in a SUV so maybe figured he took precedence (not sure what you were driving?), plus there's often the status baggage that seems to go with driving an expensive Fortuner or whatever it happens to be.
Just try going round one of the few roundabouts here to witness the complete confusion about who has priority - everyone just creeps forward really cautiously.

I drive a Nissan Teana 230 JS. Maybe he thought he did have "precedence," as you say. I have no figures to back this up, but my gut feeling is that SUV drivers tend to be more aggressive here.

• Like 1

I hear you Bonobo, but "right of way" doesn't appear to be a readily understood concept over here from what I've observed. If anything, it's "might of way" and your aggressive driver was in a SUV so maybe figured he took precedence (not sure what you were driving?), plus there's often the status baggage that seems to go with driving an expensive Fortuner or whatever it happens to be.

Just try going round one of the few roundabouts here to witness the complete confusion about who has priority - everyone just creeps forward really cautiously.

I drive a Nissan Teana 230 JS. Maybe he thought he did have "precedence," as you say. I have no figures to back this up, but my gut feeling is that SUV drivers tend to be more aggressive here.
"I have no figures to back this up, but my gut feeling is that SUV drivers tend to be more aggressive here."

I have had many discussions about this here on TV, but yes, I agree. I know I drive more aggressive while sitting higher up.

• Like 1

Also, depending on the tint of your windows, he may not have realised you were a farang (I'm presuming that you are) and so to him you may have represented a socially inferior local that was giving him attitude hence his anger.
I have the feeling that social patterns of status deference are carried over and even magnified once people are in their cars (depending on the model they drive).
The above is of course all conjecture, but it's one possible interpretation.

I blame this aggressiveness on these deeply tinted windows that the police allow

It is the anonymity that encourages this type of driving since they relish the fact no one can see who they are so they can get away with anything

I agree with you 200%. The tinted Windows in every car is responsible for this crazy driving - they feel secure and hidden behind the dark Windows, make tinted Windows illegal and save some lives every day

• Like 1

i had to sit the theory test for my bike license.

In Thailand when your turning right the guy pulling out from the soi has right of way.

I know it sounds crazy but its true.

PS. dont shoot the messenger biggrin.png

Only if roads are of equal importance, which is with sois coming onto a main road normally not the case.

on a trip to Bangkok I was doing 100K/110K on a dual lane highway and a bus was in front of me going way slower so I indicated to move out to over take. About 1 klm behind me a car started to flash his lights as I started to pass the bus, once I was a safe distance past the bus I indicated and pulled back into the left lane, the car that had flashed his lights caught up & passed me then swerved in front of me and slammed on his brakes trying to cause me to crash I presume because I had stayed in the lane overtaking the bus after he flashed me. I have good reflexes so I simply changed gear swerved back out and accelerated past the idiot but this is typical of many thai drivers. They do not know the road rules but expect everyone else to let them do as they please then if they dont these idiots then threaten others or do stupid things to cause accidents, maybe it is the downfall caused by having little d*cks and having to show how "manly" they are, then again face can also be a big player, must be very face losing to have to admit they are sh*t drivers and have no idea what they are doing

Typical of "many" Thai drivers...really...many. Eye roll...

In Thailand when your turning right the guy pulling out from the soi has right of way.

Only if roads are of equal importance, which is with sois coming onto a main road normally not the case.

Nope, small soi going onto main road, vehicle coming out of the soi has right of way over the vehicle going into it.

It's stupid in theory in that a vehicle on the main road will hold up traffic thus cause more congestion waiting when compared with the vehicle in the soi, but in practice it makes sense as the vehicle in the soi will position his vehicle in the middle of the soi so the other vehicle can't actually get in first anyway.

Nope, small soi going onto main road, vehicle coming out of the soi has right of way over the vehicle going into it.

It's stupid in theory in that a vehicle on the main road will hold up traffic thus cause more congestion waiting when compared with the vehicle in the soi, but in practice it makes sense as the vehicle in the soi will position his vehicle in the middle of the soi so the other vehicle can't actually get in first anyway.

Incorrect, main road has right of way. That is presuming the main road has a road number, which would make it the main road over the soi.

Incorrect, main road has right of way. That is presuming the main road has a road number, which would make it the main road over the soi.

I'm basing this on what a police officer wanted to fine me for, I realise they aren't exactly the most credible people in Thailand. You have a source to back this up?

Edited by wprime

I'm basing this on what a police officer wanted to fine me for, I realise they aren't exactly the most credible people in Thailand. You have a source to back this up?

The law, as quoted already here.

When you turn right into the small street, was the car coming out turning left or right onto the main road? I'm guessing if he is turning left, he would not have been in your way. But if he is turning right on to the main road then you guys may have been on the same collision course.

I have noticed many times if you are turning right into a street, and car coming out is turning right too, who has the "right of way" or should go first depends on combination of who gets there first, and the position of the car. There is no such thing as right of way here.

1.) Assuming both of you don't have to wait for any other cars from opposite direction.

- Car who gets there first usually have the right of way

2.) Assuming both of you have to make a full stop due to other oncoming traffic.

- Who gets to go first depends on the position of the car on the main road ,not who gets there first or "right of way".

If the car on the main road turning right has his car positioned past the car coming out of the street (blocking his clean line to turn onto the main road), then you win the battle.

If the car on the main road parks right before the car coming out of the street, that usually signals that you are allowing the car in the small street to turn right first on to the main road.

If you start your turn and the car just reached the top of the small street and he tries to budge through, yes he's an axx.

Fair drivers usually let whoever got there first make the turn.

This is based on my 20+ year experience driving the same scenario almost every single day.

Most Thais act tough when they are in the car, but when you start to follow them, they get scared. Most will try to shake you off by weaving in and out.

Rule number 1 of following a car to make your point/ pissing them off/scare them is to never follow too close but make them know you are there.

Rule number 2 is to never try to pass them if you are trying to make your point, if you pass them then its their turn to follow you.

Rule number 3 if they got your point, back off and keep your distance so you won't be followed.

Rule number 4 if they stop their car on the side, you need to stop behind them at a distance as well, unless you can make a clean and fast getaway.

I've had my share of following cars to make my point to them when I was younger, nowadays I try to keep my cool.

Bonobo

I agree with your post and have actually experienced similar situations in the past here in Thailand. I've come to notice that there is certainly more aggression on the road these days. As a young man in my twenties who grew up driving in the west, and now in Bangkok.

It's common for people in Scandinavia to express their emotions when someone doesn't properly follow the rules on the road, honking their horns and putting up middle fingers in the air is all normal. Because we know and expect them to know the rules. So of course we'll naturally show our frustration when someone doesn't follow the rules. It never leads to a life and death situation, rarely i would say.

I quickly had to adapt to the changes here in Bangkok, i seriously now drive like a grandmother and just let things go. The last incident i was in, involved a crazy taxi driver who cut me off, and i naturally wanted to show that what he did was wrong by casually honking my horn. Now, what i did was a 3 second beep, which was quite harmless. It was a reaction of course, and I did it quite politely actually, but big mistake. The driver stopped in front of me, in the middle of bangkok traffic. And he got out of his car and started making threats or whatever, he wanted to pick a fight. For something so minor. But because of the road i was on, cars started honking and he was blocking up traffic. But looking back on what happened, it was a shady taxi driver, who was looking for a fight of some sort, drug'ed up. It was scary, but it shouldn't be a surprise, here in thailand it really does matter who you offend even if by accident, low class or high class. Its always ugly. But those with education seem to respond not so hostile lol.

But its all about image here, so they take the whole respect thing seriously. And i guess they want to protect their image, which might explain the increase in road rage or aggression. I've notice that when people get into fights in Thailand it usually leads to a nasty fight or death. From my observation people in the west seem to just fight but it rarely involves fighting to the death to resolve an issue. Bear in mind, i come from Northern Europe, So i don't know what its like in North America. But i can imagine that its the same there as in Thailand Lol since weapons are so easily to get ahold of.

But back to the point, i do believe there is a cultural aspect tied to it. It was a relief to read about your experience, i don't think these are isolated cases, as foreigners we come to run into these issues on a higher basis. But yep. Interesting to read your post.

My experence is that flashing the lights is the norm here and everyone know what it means without reacting to it in a negative way. But try using your horn instead and it can become more serious if you're up against an aggressive driver. So stay calm and let them drive past you. You will not win that fight anyway.