Is this a good idea or not?

Rather than using bank-to-bank or other methods to provide funds for my gf, I am thinking about opening up another sub account at my bank in the USA. This new account would be part of my primary one, however, I could control the transfers/withdrawals from anywhere. For example: set up the account and give my gf the atm card (with limited amounts availability). What are the downsides (if any) to this?

Thanks for your input!

p.s. I already know I am stupid, so need in reminding me!

She has a job and rarely ever needs help. I am just thinking about those unexpected emergencies where access to a thousand baht or so could save the day. If such should happen, I want to avoid the process and delays doing money transfers. Just to be on the safe side, I would not keep large amounts in the account but could add or subtract to it at any time.

• Like 1

OP: It's doable. Whatever network you are on Cirrus, Plus, Interac, there are many... it is definitely doable.

There are two caveats:

1) You will be charged a 150 baht transaction fee for each withdrawal from the Thai end, and possibly additional charges from your end.

2) The exchange rate may be poor.

Neither of these matter if you are sending less than 1000 dollars p/m.

I suggest the next time you come to Thailand you open a Thai bank account with online banking. Fund this account by SWIFT wire transfer from your home country. When you want to buy your girlfriend roses it's just a click away, and the service fee will be a maximum of 25 baht. You will need to pre-register her account for transfer before you leave Thailand as Thai banks want to send a OTP password (One Time Password) to the same Thai mobile phone registered to our account.

A word of wisdom; open your Thai bank account alone without bringing your girlfriend along. Do it all by yourself.

Good Luck.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

I am still in BKK for a few days so opening a bank account is possible. However, I'm a little unclear about how the SWIFT process. My bank tells me there is a $35.00 fee for an international wire transfer as well as an up to 4 day delay. Am I missing something about how all of this works?

I am still in BKK for a few days so opening a bank account is possible. However, I'm a little unclear about how the SWIFT process. My bank tells me there is a $35.00 fee for an international wire transfer as well as an up to 4 day delay. Am I missing something about how all of this works?

I have Wells Fargo and Krungthai Bank.

It costs $45 for a wire transfer, I think it was “only” $20 when I set it up…

Unfortunately I have to call the bank to initiate a wire transfer, but the transfer is effectively same day, e.g. I have called Wells Fargo at midnight (Thai time) and the following day, the money was there, i.e. less than 12 hours.

If you want to give your girlfriend an ATM card then you can have two accounts with your Thai bank, give her the ATM card for one of them, then transfer the majority of the money to the other, and use internet banking to transfer between them.

If it’ll be cheaper in the long-run depends on how much she’ll use the card (ignoring currency fluctuations).

I pay 200 baht/year for the Krungthai ATM/debit card but no fees when used except for inter-region ATM fees.

Edited by WorkingTourist

$35.00 fee for swift transfers is about average but it doesn't take 4 days, if you get your timing right its a few hours

the easiest and free way is to set up corresponding Citi bank accounts up one inthe US and one in Thailand and you can transfer up to USD 50k/day free

Edited by Soutpeel

She has a job and rarely ever needs help. I am just thinking about those unexpected emergencies where access to a thousand baht or so could save the day. If such should happen, I want to avoid the process and delays doing money transfers. Just to be on the safe side, I would not keep large amounts in the account but could add or subtract to it at any time.

That sounds very reasonable and sensible to me. Why wouldn't you do something like this if you do indeed love this lady. Most of us who are lucky enough to have a love in our lives would like to make sure that they have funds available for emergencies, I should think it's the least we can do.

That sounds very reasonable and sensible to me. Why wouldn't you do something like this if you do indeed love this lady. Most of us who are lucky enough to have a love in our lives would like to make sure that they have funds available for emergencies, I should think it's the least we can do.

My wife's extended family DID love me to bits........Sadly not now, no......I do wonder why.......whistling.gif

• Like 1

My experience with SWIFT is three working days. This is about average. I've used Skrill/Moneybookers and it's worked in 24 hours.

My banks in Europe charge me about 10USD per transfer if I do it myself online, plus some hidden fees. 45 dollars seems a bit expensive, however US banks seem to charge more. If you do send SWIFT remember to send US dollars to your Thai baht account and tell your US bank to pay only the outgoing fee. Let your Thai bank charge you the incoming fee at their end. That way you may average less than $45.00.

Another option is to mail a deposit to your Thai bank in the form of a US Dollar cashier's check or draft. Allow a week to ten days for mail delivery, then maybe two weeks for them to clear the cheque.. You can monitor the process by internet banking and or telephone to your branch in Thailand.

So far OP, you seem to be on the right track.

You might want to check out a American Express BlueBird card.

https://www.bluebird.com/

On their website it says you can setup family accounts where people you add to your family account (anyone over 13) can get their own card issue...you would control the amount is that subaccount...refer the Family Accounts section.

Practically no fees except a $2.50 fee if not doing a withdrawal from a MoneyPass ATM which are only in the U.S. Since it's an American Express card as far as I know only Bangkok Bank accepts American Express cards but the foreign card ATM fee is only Bt50 (about a $1.50) for an AmEx card vs Bt180 for Visa/Mastercard which means a total of $4 in fees per withdrawal. Plenty of Bangkok Bank ATMs all over Thailand. No foreign transaction fee applies and the AmEx exchange rate when using the card is plus or minus a few stang of the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate.

Now I don't have one since I have several U.S. no foreign transaction fee debit cards which also reimburse ATM fees, but if I didn't have these I would probably get an AmEx Bluebird card and still may get one since there is no annual fee, maintenance fees of any kind, etc.

Edited by Pib

I have given my Thai friend an ATM card from my US bank.

It is linked to my checking account.

I control how much is in the account available to Thai friend,

I transfer such amount of money I choose and when.

This has worked well for many years ...so far....nearly 11.

When my Thai friend withdraws $$$ using the ATM card...

My bank charges 1% ...local bank in Thailand 180 Thai baht.

If you have account at Charles Schwab Bank....they reimburse your bank account for any fees for using ATM worldwide. No 3% international fee either.

In USA BANGKOK BANK has branch in New York City.

If you have a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand...easy to transfer

$$$ from your US bank to Bangkok Bank NYC..

,funds show up into your account next day in Thailand.

If Thai friend has the ATM card for that account...easy to withdraw.

There are many options for you...

Good luck...

Tj

• Like 1

Do not base your solely on the TV advise on whether to open the account or not. Secondly, take the opinion of opening a Thai account yourself (since you're still in Bkk), demand to be attended to by the international/foreign transactions officer at the bank (try Kasikon). Then give your w/gf the ATM as a surprise when leaving...People are living testimonies to this system...You're a good man. Peace to you.thumbsup.gif

It could work out ok, discuss it with her and make her understand why you are doing it and let her know you would not be happy if she kept taking big amounts out frequently. Just see how it goes, if she abuses it then you will know it is not love.

Best of luck.

If u had a gf back home would u do it? I spoke to a girl yesterday she now had 8 guys sending money to her This is Thailand

Then that is the girl the OP needs to be talking to as she may have 8 different methods to recommend.

• Like 1