vpn on 3bb router

nisims

I have been reading but not getting very far can someone either point me to further reading or tell me what I need, I want to use vpn to access uk services, I have my now tv box with me too whch connects via wi fi.

it seems easy for me to get the service to work via my laptop but I want other device to be able to use the service, it seems this router cannot be flashed with this dd wrt, is my best and easiest option to buy another router if so which one, I also read about buying another router but continue to use the 3bb they connect together?

Thanks

If you pick up a DD-WRT enabled router, your VPN provider should have instructions on how to configure it.

Then you should be able to connect that through your 3BB router and the IP it gives you will be from the remote network.

To which VPN service do you subscribe?

Edited by Chicog

What iptv box are you trying to use?

The problem is how to give the iptv box geo-relocation option (since it can't be done in-box).

There are several possible options:

Use special DNS entries on your 3BB Router. A forum dedicated to your 'box' should say if this is possible.

Hang a VPN WiFi subservice unit on your current 3BB LAN. Then connect to this WiFi when a device needs geo-relocation.

Replace the current router with a firmware flashable VPN option, or

Bridge the current 3BB router to a second firmware flashed VPN-WiFi router. Downside, usually ALL traffic is routed though the VPN when enabled.

Build your own VPN device using a cheap development board (eg: Raspberry Pi) [similar to Hang a VPN WiFi subservice, except you build it]

If you pick up a DD-WRT enabled router, your VPN provider should have instructions on how to configure it.

Then you should be able to connect that through your 3BB router and the IP it gives you will be from the remote network.

To which VPN service do you subscribe?

at the moment I use CyberGhost but this service is up next month so free to sign another year or look at another service, I will have to go shopping is dd wrt routers easy to find in bkk (probably (pantip) do you have any models or prices?

when you say connect to my 3bb router do you mean by cable?

What iptv box are you trying to use?

I am going to use my now tv box from the uk, wi-fi connection only, I want the easiest option so think maybe it sounds like another router, not sure how much trouble all traffic being routed will be for me. I tried that public Wi-Fi hotspot for windows, it worked fine till I started my vpn so there is some configuration which I did not understand with cyberghost.

The problem is how to give the iptv box geo-relocation option (since it can't be done in-box).

There are several possible options:

Use special DNS entries on your 3BB Router. A forum dedicated to your 'box' should say if this is possible.

Hang a VPN WiFi subservice unit on your current 3BB LAN. Then connect to this WiFi when a device needs geo-relocation.

Replace the current router with a firmware flashable VPN option, or

Bridge the current 3BB router to a second firmware flashed VPN-WiFi router. Downside, usually ALL traffic is routed though the VPN when enabled.

Build your own VPN device using a cheap development board (eg: Raspberry Pi) [similar to Hang a VPN WiFi subservice, except you build it]

OP,

Suggest reading:

HOW TO WATCH NOW TV OUTSIDE UK – VPN /DNS PROXY

UnBlockUs UnBlockUs Roku Popcorn TV VPN Service <-- I see someone decided to steal the popcorn name for other purposes.

Come back with anything you don't understand and we'll try to explain what work's here in Thailand.

While I'm sure you can find pre-flashed DD-WRT routers in Thailand, some of the VPN companies themselves sell preconfigured add-in equipment, --AND-- it's also something you, or a competent computer tech, can do so long as you purchase a supported router that can be flashed with the DD-WRT firmware (or similar replacement firmware that supports VPN).

Does it really need to be this complicated? I use hola.org It's free and you can switch countries to "browse" from by clicking on them in the list. No attached gadgets-no extra costs. I use this to (geo-location) unblock Netflix and Hulu plus with which I have subscriptions-- which are paid for through my Bangkok Bank Debit card. I use It with 3bb 10mbs service and have no problems streaming video. Addons for Chrome and Firefox work very well and are installed with just a couple of clicks. Give it a try if all you need is to connect to internet tv. i.e. BBC ~ you would "browse" from UK and then click on the BBC icon. Take a look.

Since I don't know what else you may be using a vpn for. maybe all the extras are necessary--guess it depends on what you are doing.

EDIT: using the cheap 3bb supplied modem with a basic TP Link wireless router

Edited by JamesHawkins
  • Like 1

Does it really need to be this complicated? I use hola.org

[...]

In the first post, the OP stated,

"it seems easy for me to get the service to work via my laptop but I want other device to be able to use the service"

So, the OP is already doing the same as you on a laptop, but wants to use his iptv NOW TV Sky box (a Roku with special firmware) that's geo-restricted.

If you have an 'easy' method for him to get this to work, please chime in, as this is what he posted about.

Hi nisims,

We would recommend using Smart DNS instead of VPN service for streaming media because it is generally faster. You shouldn't need another router if your 3BB router can set DNS IP Addresses. This should be easiest option for you.

In your case, the NOW TV Box won't allow you to change DNS directly on the box. You will have to set DNS settings for Smart DNS service on the router. www.smartdnsservice.net has a comparison chart to select service that suite you best. Most of them provide 7-14 days free trail (with no credit card) so you can test it with your 3BB router. We would really recommend you to try this out :)

If you still want to use VPN, we also provide DD-WRT powered router, please visit our online store for me details. With additional router, your home network would look similar with image below. Just ignore Fire TV on bottom left. That would be your NOW TV Box :)

1936106_orig.gif

• Like 1