The case of the stolen Phuket bottle tops

webfact

The case of the stolen Phuket bottle tops
Eakkapop Thongtub

1426667269_1-org.jpg
Ichitan bottles in a convenience store – so far intact. Photo Shelling Bisetsu

PHUKET: -- Police are looking for a thief who opened the cooler at a Supercheap mini-mart yesterday and stole the caps off 36 bottles of Ichitan soft drinks.

The story of the megatheft emerged after Joy Hudrudchai, a member of staff at the Bangkanatee Supercheap mini-mart in Rawai, posted an irritated note on her Facebook page.

It was addressed to “Khun Tan Ichitan” and complained that the shop’s entire stock of drinks at the shop was ruined by the theft.

The motive for the robbery was soon found. Ichitan recently launched a new promotion, giving away 50 Mercedes Benz cars every 50 days. The slogan: “Become rich simply by get the winning code under the bottle cap after you drink Ichitan.”

The thief seemingly decided that the road to riches did not necessarily have to include either paying for or drinking the Ichitan.

Piyasa Boonkaew, the shop’s manager, said this was not the first time that caps had been stolen. “It happens quite often and the campaign lasts until April 9. We reported the incident to head office and police are helping to find the culprit.”

Chalong Deputy Police Superintendent Lt Col Anan Anutarawasarat said, “The store manager told us there were thefts of bottle tops on March 8, 11 and 16. We are examining the CCTV footage [from the shop] and we will bring the thief to justice on charges of stealing after dark.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/the-case-of-the-stolen-phuket-bottle-tops-51458.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-18

I often wonder with these sort of promotions whether they are genuine or not, or just a scam to get people to buy more of their product. I know there are strict rules regarding lotteries etc. but have you ever heard of anyone actually winning a car or several baht of gold?

I often wonder with these sort of promotions whether they are genuine or not, or just a scam to get people to buy more of their product. I know there are strict rules regarding lotteries etc. but have you ever heard of anyone actually winning a car or several baht of gold?

No it's not a scam-has been publicity of families receiving 1m in gold.

Not sure how it works, but BF has filled the fridge and checks to see when our new Benz is arriving.

Thief must have had some bottle ,not my cup of tea, however difficult to cap this crime. perhaps the thief flipped his or her lid and went screwy. Indeed a top criminal

Who the hell wants a car you cannot afford the services on......? Suppose you could sell it at a reduced amount...

Anyone willing to turn themselves into a convicted criminal to win a car at MASSIVE odds must be as thick as two short planks.

I believe that the tax laws in Thailand are similar to those in the US - if you win a car, the value of the car is considered reportable ordinary income and you're taxed accordingly. Wife says that winners who don't want to (or can't) pay the tax can instead opt for a tax-paid cash payment which is much lower than the value of the car.