Cheapest/easiest visa run, preferably flying

riorobc023

probably the turnaround to KL on AA. It still won't be as fast as Green bus to Mae Sai....spend one night in Chiang Rai...relax.

Ok will check flights on AA then .

Care to explain what the Green bus is ? I hear they have buses available in chiang mai to catch for a border run?

airfare + visa is going to be more than double for Ventianne vs. KL. KL has mass transit at the airport...If you had to go to the embassy, Ventianne would be worth a closer look as they seem to have fewer bad hair days than KL.

Green Bus operates from the Arcade Bus Station, on the newly built side of the road. They are not Mini-Buses but the big jobs with decent drivers that don't tear around like idiots. They get fairly well booked up so it's best to go to their office at the Bus Station and buy tickets a few days ahead of travel, as if you just turn up you may be unlucky.

airfare + visa is going to be more than double for Ventianne vs. KL. KL has mass transit at the airport...If you had to go to the embassy, Ventianne would be worth a closer look as they seem to have fewer bad hair days than KL.

Don't need to go to embassy. Just need to stamp out at the countries airport then head back the same day into thailand. Not looking to travel in any other country. Is that possible?

you have to enter Myanmar, but occasionally some wise guy manages to not do it......10 usd or 500 thb to enter Myanmar....Mini-bus sucks and Greenbus will be 1/3 of the way there while the van is circling the moat waiting for backpackers to find their passports. Green has ticket office on Suthep, across from Mcdonald's....avoid traveling on the weekends.......

• Like 1

Don't need to go to embassy. Just need to stamp out at the countries airport then head back the same day into thailand. Not looking to travel in any other country. Is that possible?

KL would be my choice. AA does direct to the airport there from CM and while it can be a loooong walk from the gate to immigration, the new KL airport has a decent selection of shopping and eating places to kill the time until your return flight. Never had to stand in line more than 20 minutes or so going through Malaysian immigration.

David

The cheapest flight depends on demand. So check Air Asia for KL, Macau, Hong Kong and Tiger Air for Singapore but you might have to stay in Singapore on that one. Actually you might have to stay KL as well. Macau and Hong Kong may be the only flights that fly straight back. Bangkok Air does Mandalay and i think that flight comes straight back. a visa will be needed for Mandalay. You will have many more options if you fly from DMK.

"you have to enter Myanmar, but occasionally some wise guy manages to not do it"

A friend who is 87 does one visa run to Mai Sai when he visits over our 'Cool' season.

The Immigration officers have told him he may cross road and come immediately out due to his age and obvious difficulties with walking. No B500 viist to Burmese side.

john

Didn't work on a 90 day visa run for a youngster like me who asked.

I see you want the cheapest but you want to fly not the cheapest way to go.

If you already have a double entry all you need to do is cross the border turn around and reenter Thailand. The one thing to watch out for is if it is a multiple entry for 60 days make sure they stamp it for 60 days. The first time I did it at Mai Sai they only stamped it for 30 days and I had to go back to them to get it changed.

Also you can go to the local immigration office and get your present one extended for 30 days.

Agree that the cheapest way is a very simple green bus trip to Mae Sai. VIP bus/seating is the way to go and they even have a toilet onboard. Its a very doable day trip. Ive done it many times in the past but thankfully the retirement visa negates all the border runs.

Either a 6 or 8am start and then the later return trip (Say 3pm) from Mae Sai will see you back in Chiang Mai around 8pm.

Id also recommend getting a seat on the left hand side as the sun does get a bit too much on both legs of the journey.

As to flying anywhere else.... its going to be more expensive and as I havent done that I cant recommend anywhere.

Good luck and happy trails

Agree that the cheapest way is a very simple green bus trip to Mae Sai. VIP bus/seating is the way to go and they even have a toilet onboard. Its a very doable day trip. Ive done it many times in the past but thankfully the retirement visa negates all the border runs.

Either a 6 or 8am start and then the later return trip (Say 3pm) from Mae Sai will see you back in Chiang Mai around 8pm.

Id also recommend getting a seat on the left hand side as the sun does get a bit too much on both legs of the journey.

As to flying anywhere else.... its going to be more expensive and as I havent done that I cant recommend anywhere.

Good luck and happy trails

Id also recommend getting a seat on the left hand side as the sun does get a bit too much on both legs of the journey.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

No way am I taking a bus of any kind through the mountains.

Air Asia flying to KL is probably your best bet unless you can catch them with a promotion. Sign up for their news letter and check their site often. You can get some amazing last minute deals, as well as deals if you book and fly on certain dates.

I agree in steering clear of the venga-bus type wagon for any trips but have found the Green Buses to be fine. Never in my travels with Green bus, have I been worried and the drivers seem to be a lot more relaxed in their driving style.

As for the other private buses that go to all locations.... well they arent called grass cutters for nothing; Very scary bunch

I see you want the cheapest but you want to fly not the cheapest way to go.

If you already have a double entry all you need to do is cross the border turn around and reenter Thailand. The one thing to watch out for is if it is a multiple entry for 60 days make sure they stamp it for 60 days. The first time I did it at Mai Sai they only stamped it for 30 days and I had to go back to them to get it changed.

Also you can go to the local immigration office and get your present one extended for 30 days.

Cheers to that. Will keep an eye out

Will be flying to KL but i have a 4 1/2 hour layover. Hope customs/immigration is easy to get through.

• Like 1