Where's the Betel Nut?

Neeranam

Probably the third most common palm tree in Thailand after Veitchia Meriillii and Wodyetia Bifrucata, The Areca Catechu,,,, grows easily but is quite a small tree ( told you I liked trees)

• Like 2

Still a lot of old people chewing betel in Thailand.

In India they make small leaf wrapped packages containing betel among other things, pan is the Hindi name for it. Burmese people also use it. You have to chew the package. It has a very mildly intoxicating effect, like drinking half a glass of wine, it makes that you can stand the heat better.

The betel is actually the leaf of the pepper betle vine. The 'nut' from the palm tree together with slaked lime and other ingredients (sometimes tobacco) are wrapped in the leaf to make the 'plug' which is then chewed. The betel vine is related to the pepper and kava.

Still a lot of old people chewing betel in Thailand.

Yes, but fewer than 10 years ago (from my observation).

Long time I have not seen one of the old women with rotten/red teeth in the neighborhood.

About the mandates: "interesting"? Yes.

Nationalist, xenophobic as can be.

So more a frightening read than an interesting.

Phibun (Phibul) was a great admirer of the Fuehrer.

I look at him only as the Fuehrer of Thailand.

The article on the mandates and on Phibun are good stuff to understand more of this country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaek_Phibunsongkhram

But as political discussion is not desired (?) I will stop here.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Betel Nut = Areca nut isn't it?

Hmm.

Now this becomes interesting.

Betel seems to be a leave.

It is combined with the nut for consumption ("Paan"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paan

The first picture in the article looks quite common to me (as seen at the markets).

Also remember the old ladies "wrapping" before chewing.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The betel is actually the leaf of the pepper betle vine. The 'nut' from the palm tree together with slaked lime and other ingredients (sometimes tobacco) are wrapped in the leaf to make the 'plug' which is then chewed. The betel vine is related to the pepper and kava.

Lots of betel down South. When I first saw it, I thought it looked very much like kava leaves...now there's something that would grow well here; I wonder why it doesn't?

Every fresh market has a seller or three of the leaves and the nuts, so it must be fairly popular.

I think betel nut and betel leaves are 2 different things?

Yes. The nut (the round green thing they cut with the funny shaped knife) is actually the seed/fruit of the areca palm. The leaf is from the peper betle vine. The 'betel nut' is therefore a misnomer.

• Like 1

http://www.drugs.com/npc/betel-nut.html My mother inlaw died aged 63 after having mouth cancer that went through her body like wildfire and for me it was as a direct result of cheawing betel nut so just as bad as smoking.

regards

Scotsman

Indeed. Just by coincidence I was listening to the BBC News today and they had a programme about health. One of the segments was about Taiwan and the high incidence of oral and throat cancer in that Country. Apparently one in ten Taiwanese men chew betel nut. Not so many men in Thailand I think, it's largely older Thai women.

Interesting - many thanks for the topic. I was thinking of growing the ingredients as I'm a keen 'horticulturist', who quit smoking not too over a year ago.

I suppose it would be legal to grow and I assume they few Thais who do chew it never get arrested.

I have tried it in India and liked the effect.

I stopped smoking by changing to Swdish snuss, which is banned in the UK as they say it can cause moth cancer. I also have some "Turian thet"(Thai) or Gravilola or Soursop trees which prevent cancer. I drink tea made from their leaves every day and should have fruit in a year or so.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=soursop+%20

I have some palm trees but not sure what kind they are and also just planted a coconut which has sprouted.

Interesting - many thanks for the topic. I was thinking of growing the ingredients as I'm a keen 'horticulturist', who quit smoking not too over a year ago.

I suppose it would be legal to grow and I assume they few Thais who do chew it never get arrested.

I have tried it in India and liked the effect.

I stopped smoking by changing to Swdish snuss, which is banned in the UK as they say it can cause moth cancer. I also have some "Turian thet"(Thai) or Gravilola or Soursop trees which prevent cancer. I drink tea made from their leaves every day and should have fruit in a year or so.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=soursop+%20

I have some palm trees but not sure what kind they are and also just planted a coconut which has sprouted.

post photo of palm trees if u want the names

• Like 1

The chewing of betel has many components involved (might differ slightly from country to country)

1.The Betel leaf

2. Areca nut

3. Tobacco

4. Slaked lime (Calcium hydroxide)

Apparently the last two items are the cause of mouth cancer.

(A very obnoxious act IMO)

Edit

In Maldives they eat very thinly sliced Areca nut after meals - helps in digestion they say.

Almost every local restaurant serves free, this plus some other spices at the end of a meal.

Edited by ravip
  • Like 2

Asia's deadly secret: The scourge of the betel nut

It is used by almost a tenth of the world's population. It gives people a buzz equivalent to six cups of coffee and is used variously as a symbol of love, marriage and a cure for indigestion and impotence.

But it is also leading tens of thousands to an early grave.

The culprit? The humble betel nut.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31921207