Subaru XV...What a deal!

umbanda

I had a friend that bought one. He was rapped in it. With about 2000km on the odometer the oil light came on. What's this he thought. Stopped the car and checked the oil, yep, no oil registered on the dpi stick, which is strange because he check it as full when he first got the car just 12 days earlier.

He parked the car and took a taxi to Subaru and explained the situation to them. They returned to the car with him and a couple of litres of oil was added to the engine and then the vehicle was driven to the dealership. He was given a loan car for a coup,e of days before they contacted him And told him his car was ready to be picked up as it had no apparent faults.

He checked the engine oil, full and drove away. 3 days later the oil was down on the dpi stick again. Drives to Subaru and they top it up. The following week and just several hundred kilometres later, checks engine oil level, right down again, back to Subaru.......and so the story goes for the best part of 12 months, during which time the car had 20,000 kilometres on it and had used a lot of oil, Subaru al. The time insisting him that this was normal usage.

After about 15 months of persevering and listening to all the nonesense In The world he traded the car in on another brand.

Subaru......xv, errr, no thanks.

• Like 2

Subaru are good here until you need parts. It can be a long wait believe me.

Motor image has the monopoly for Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong with all the warranty work decisions have to go through the Singapore head office which creates more of a delay.

I won't buy another until they keep a spare part inventory here in Thailand and not everything being approved by someone in another country and only then the part being shipped.

• Like 1

If they can discount that much, they are making some serious margins on the original price.

1.35M isn't correct, according to the subaru website. Base model is 998K and top model is 1.198M.

All the models were discounted now. The lunching price last year was 1.35mill for the basic model. I drove one at the Chiang Mai dealership. I may get one now, if I can sell my Honda in good price.

The ones selling in the US were all from Japan, I do not know about now. I also owned 2 in the US. At that time the first called OUTBACK looked like a station wagon, the second was the FORESTIER, smaller than the actual model. I had those cars for 3 years each, driving a lot of miles most off-road, and helping many Jeep owners to get out of trouble. Never had any problem, just changing oil every 7000 miles.

The basic model of the XV with the same Thai options, sells in the US for $35,000 now. Very good cars with a very good resale value in the US, but no so popular because were always more expensive than the competitors, and not so good financing options.

For many years now, the US experts reviews on Subarus are very high.

Edited by Muzarella

The basic model of the XV with the same Thai options, sells in the US for $35,000 now. Very good cars with a very good resale value in the US, but no so popular because were always more expensive than the competitors, and not so good financing options.

For many years now, the US experts reviews on Subarus are very high.

The basic model in the US is about 23K and comes standard with more options than the one here (safety and other options). The ones here are made in Malaysia, and are not as good of build quality as the ones made in Japan. When I was in the states last summer I went and looked at the XV to compare to what I had seen here. It was night and day. The top of the line Hybrid in the states (which they don't offer here) is around 31K.

I liked driving the car and it was on my short list, but I thought at 1.35 it was over priced for what you got, now with the lower prices it would have been a contender for a car choice, but the 998K one comes stripped down (no camera, no nav, and a few others options which I can't remember now), so it would have to be the higher price one 1.1 I think. My main concern was service and parts.

Unless it moved which I doubt, the dealership near Pattaya went out of business. It was built a year or 2 ago and is now abandoned. Maybe the handwriting is on the wall---hence the huge discounts to get rid of inventory??

In this poor auto sales environment, where even Toyota warned that sales plunged 40% in the first half of 2014, and seeing consolidation in the industry elsewhere, it makes sense that auto producers will choose their fights wisely going forward.

In Thailand, fringe players might opt out soon.

• Like 1

Unless it moved which I doubt, the dealership near Pattaya went out of business. It was built a year or 2 ago and is now abandoned. Maybe the handwriting is on the wall---hence the huge discounts to get rid of inventory??

In this poor auto sales environment, where even Toyota warned that sales plunged 40% in the first half of 2014, and seeing consolidation in the industry elsewhere, it makes sense that auto producers will choose their fights wisely going forward.

In Thailand, fringe players might opt out soon.

I don't read this policy change by Subaru's importer to be a clear-out, but rather something similar to Hyundai's re-entry strategy of discounting to achieve critical mass. I do hope it works out for them, because Subaru products do have their unique points... and my BIL owns one :)

That said, we're already seeing Chev drop their passenger car range.. who knows what's next for the chopping block, as business cases just get harder and harder to make.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

In Thailand for this model I would stick with Honda, either CRV or HRV. Proven quality and service centers literally everywhere.

Subaru (I do like this model a lot, also interior, finish... all looks great) with this kind of price decrease a first sign of withdrawing from Thai market??

In Thailand for this model I would stick with Honda, either CRV or HRV. Proven quality and service centers literally everywhere.

Subaru (I do like this model a lot, also interior, finish... all looks great) with this kind of price decrease a first sign of withdrawing from Thai market??

As discussed, it's unlikely this is a sign of an impending market exit. Especially considering the importer is putting together a compensation package for those who bought at the previous (higher) prices.

IMHO, this policy should be taken as a serious effort to achieve critical mass for the brand.

As for comparing to the HR-V, on product substance for money, the XV is a pretty clear winner - but obviously loses points on after-sales support (small dealer network). The CR-V is 1.2M for the base model - that same money gets you the top-spec XV....

Edited by IMHO

I have had a really sour experience with honda and a local incompetent service Center giving back a car that was unsafe to drive.

The xv has a smaller cargo area than equivalent honda. But nicer toys. Proper garmin gps is a win but on my visit I couldn't get the stereo to pair properly with my iPhone.

My wife didn't like the overall styling and the engine leaves you wanting more power. At 1.1 million its a good car for the money if it's the same as the formerly 1.35 spec orange one.

But as for honda being good at service. It's a luck of the draw thing and corporate don't care at all about their image or their customers.

I have always owned a Toyota 4x4 vehicle in Australia, and for some stupid reason I purchased a new Suburu Forester diesel, the biggest problem was front tyers kept wearing on the inside, this is a fault with Subaru as well.

When I came to Thailand I immediately purchased a new Hylux 4x4 smart cab, they are and awsome vehicle well done Toyota for making such an impressive and unbreackable viehicle.

Had a CRV for 10 years now, with no problems at all. She is a bit thirsty, but she also move like the proverbial off the shovel when you give her the gun. Was a bit disappointed that they no longer put in the little fridge in the new models! Was great to store the odd bar of chockies and drinks for long drives. Will stick with the CRV until I can afford the Bentley Turbo as a replacement giggle.gif

I have always owned a Toyota 4x4 vehicle in Australia, and for some stupid reason I purchased a new Suburu Forester diesel, the biggest problem was front tyers kept wearing on the inside, this is a fault with Subaru as well.

When I came to Thailand I immediately purchased a new Hylux 4x4 smart cab, they are and awsome vehicle well done Toyota for making such an impressive and unbreackable viehicle.

You know what you got when you buy a Toyota, but for those who like cars would never buy a Toyoto 4x4. It is the oldest construction on the marked. Both Vigo, and fortuner. Lunched in the first half of the last decade. .

You will have to like very much the all wheel drive system and the sport handling to appreciate Subaru. Comparing with any other brand, only to the much expensive Audi or Range Rover. It is true that imports brands like GM, Ford, Hunday, Suzuki, and Subaru, and others, may leave the Thai market if cannot compete with other brands. That's the risk. But also is true that Honda,Toyota and Isuzu are overpriced in Thailand. Nissan, instead, offers very nice cars and trucks for the money.

Edited by Muzarella

You will have to like very much the all wheel drive system and the sport handling to appreciate Subaru. Comparing with any other brand, only to the much expensive Audi or Range Rover. It is true that imports brands like GM, Ford, Hunday, Suzuki, and Subaru, and others, may leave the Thai market if cannot compete with other brands. That's the risk. But also is true that Honda,Toyota and Isuzu are overpriced in Thailand. Nissan, instead, offers very nice cars and trucks for the money.

You forgot to mention the Mitsu Pajero Sport. Better equipped and cheaper too. They're certainly popular up in Isaan and the service centres are good too.

If they can discount that much, they are making some serious margins on the original price.

Probably not making anything out of the ordinary. They just need to move some stock, for some strange reason Thais just don't buy Subaru.

In Australia where I hail from, the brand is quite popular, and they are really good reliable vehicles which hold their resale value well.

Maybe just a little quirky, I don't think Thais go for quirky.

Probably not making anything out of the ordinary. They just need to move some stock, for some strange reason Thais just don't buy Subaru.

In Australia where I hail from, the brand is quite popular, and they are really good reliable vehicles which hold their resale value well.

Maybe just a little quirky, I don't think Thais go for quirky.

For me the brand is about getting outdoors into parts unknown,...as we know for most locals this means the mall, equates to low market penetration lol

Thais seem to like what other Thais like. I remember when Volvo came here and the sales were very flat and Mercedes pretty much had the market cornered....then Volvo raised there prices and the cars began selling........this was quite awhile ago....