No execution of foreigners in near future: Indonesian officials

webfact

No execution of foreigners in near future: Indonesian officials
Ina Parlina
The Jakarta Post

JAKARTA: -- High-ranking government officials said on Wednesday that no executions of drug convicts would take place in the next few months, as the country’s judiciary was still processing their appeals and case reviews.

Attorney-General M. Prasetyo said that although all preparations for the drug convicts’ executions had been completed, prosecutors were still waiting for the final verdicts on their appeals.

Prasetyo went on to say that all death-row convicts in the second batch had to be executed simultaneously, including Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso of the Philippines and French inmate Serge Atlaoui, whose case reviews are now being handled by the Supreme Court.

“If they were not executed simultaneously, it would create further problems for us,” Prasetyo said at the State Palace on Wednesday before a Cabinet meeting presided over by president Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.

Prasetyo claimed the AGO had no deadline for the executions, adding that it was waiting for the ongoing legal proceedings to wrap up.

“There are several ongoing legal proceedings. We must wait for them [to reach their conclusion],” he said, adding that the appeals and case reviews included those filed at the Jakarta State Administrative Court (PTUN) by two Australian drug smugglers on death row, Andrew Chan, 31, and Myuran Sukumaran, 33.

Prasetyo maintained that the executions’ delay was not due to foreign pressure.

Full story: http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-73024.html

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2015-03-19

The system is a joke on more than one level. Yes, the terrorists should of been executed and yes these two individuals are as guilty as sin and also should be executed.

They have already lived 10 years too long.

Indo, should of slipped them out the back door years ago and put a bullet in their heads, then dropped the bodies over the fence for the families to collect, then notify media.

End of.

Next.

Yep if you're gonna execute them, do it. Donf let them sit there everyday wondering when. That's torture.

• Like 2

There must have been dozens of appeals and re appeals and clemency requests from

all walks of people around and they all been rejected at the heist level as well as the

presidential level, so what appeal are they talking about now? or the Indos are looking

to come down from the very high and mighty tree they climbed on...

• Like 1

I suspect that foreign pressure may play a part in this, even if they deny it.

Australians, however they view the crime, may still not take kindly to their own being executed.

Having said that, news in today from Indonesia shows that they are not bending over backwards to please Aussies.

Indonesia Waives Tourist Visa for 30 Countries (link)

Jakarta - Indonesia will soon allow tourists from an additional 30 countries to visit without a visa, a minister said, but neighbouring Australia was left off the list amid a row over looming executions.

The 30 countries added to the list are mainly European, but also include China and several others in Asia, the United States, and some nations in the Middle East and Africa (Including SA), Tourism Minister Arief Yahya said.

Yahya denied the row had played a role, suggesting that Australia was excluded from the list because its own policy required visiting Indonesians to have a visa.

However, most of the 30 countries added to the list require Indonesians to obtain a visa before visiting.

"It's not that we do not want to include Australia," he said.

As the article points out, the reciprocal argument is dead in the water as the UK (now on the visa waiver list) doesn't make it easy at all for Indonesians to visit, based on the experiences of an Indonesian friend of mine.

• Like 1

Australians, however they view the crime, may still not take kindly to their own being executed.

Having said that, news in today from Indonesia shows that they are not bending over backwards to please Aussies.

Jakarta - Indonesia will soon allow tourists from an additional 30 countries to visit without a visa, a minister said, but neighbouring Australia was left off the list amid a row over looming executions.

The 30 countries added to the list are mainly European, but also include China and several others in Asia, the United States, and some nations in the Middle East and Africa (Including SA), Tourism Minister Arief Yahya said.

Yahya denied the row had played a role, suggesting that Australia was excluded from the list because its own policy required visiting Indonesians to have a visa.

However, most of the 30 countries added to the list require Indonesians to obtain a visa before visiting.

As the article points out, the reciprocal argument is dead in the water as the UK (now on the visa waiver list) doesn't make it easy at all for Indonesians to visit, based on the experiences of an Indonesian friend of mine.

No dobt the Aussies I'll keep bending for the indos tho.

Australua has wasted too much money on the Indonesians.

Indo has waited too long to execute these vermin.

No dobt the Aussies I'll keep bending for the indos tho.

Australua has wasted too much money on the Indonesians.

Indo has waited too long to execute these vermin.

Australia is still bending over give them foreign aids export live cattle and let them buy Australian properties

The system is a joke on more than one level. Yes, the terrorists should of been executed and yes these two individuals are as guilty as sin and also should be executed.

They have already lived 10 years too long.

Indo, should of slipped them out the back door years ago and put a bullet in their heads, then dropped the bodies over the fence for the families to collect, then notify media.

End of.

Next.

Yep if you're gonna execute them, do it. Donf let them sit there everyday wondering when. That's torture.

Compared to the torture of countless families watching their children slowly die over years and years from heroin addiction?

no .

Sooner they execute them the better.

They have served 10 years in jail and are model prison citizens. Even the prison governor spoke on their behalf and had dinner with them on their final night. Your comment suggests to me that they are more deserving of a longer life than you.

• Like 2

thats right, they make up the law as they go and judges were asking for bribes so where is their integrity? they have none except a big chip on their shoulder and should end this barbaric act and all the palava around it and get on with running their country.

I know they are guilty, and the law is the law, but can't help but feel sorry for those 2 Aussies especially considering the Bali bombing mastermind is now free after a couple years jail. Its pathetic.

I suspect that there are not too many contributors to this thread with whom I would enjoy sitting around having a beer. Just goes to show that living outside the borders of one's own land does not necessarily broaden the mind.

. That is for Sure, Does the Brain Suffer from Jungle Rot or What ??? Thank god I only spend have my time here...