A warning to those catching taxis from MBK (scam alert)

TheGhostWithin

So I was spending the afternoon picking a few things up at MBK, happy knowing that my taxi home was being policed by Bangkok Police ensuring the meter was used. I finished shopping, and waited in the line. This being about 530pm today.

It was noticable that most taxis were driving straight through, the vacant light off and not picking up passengers.

I managed to eventually get a taxi, from MBK through to Sukhumvit 11 which is opposite where I stay. <deleted>

The taxi began to move off, I noticed his meter was off. So I asked him (in Thai) if he was going to turn on the meter, so he looked a bit annoyed and turned the meter on as we were passing the Police officer on duty.

We began moving off and I was seeing streets I literally did not recognise, and I recognise most between MBK and Suk as I travel the route regularly. I figured maybe he was taking some short cut that I was not aware of and left him to do the job I assumed he did far better than I could.

So we get along the way, he stops for 2-3 minutes to open and close his boot, getting in and looking at me annoyed again.

Eventually we get to Tesco Lotus Rama 1 Road, and he tells me "I'm not going any further Farang so get out" in Thai. Real nice guy.

I responded by playing dumb and saying in Thai "I don't understand". And he then repeated he wanted me out of his taxi.

I had no choice, out I went and figure I will catch another. Rush hour, my bad luck all taxis passing me have occupants already. Had to catch a motorbike home, another 100 baht. It should have been about 60 to get home from MBK.. so I ended up paying more than I should have to get back.

Be aware guys, the Police on duty probably means well but he is not checking the meters. If you get in a taxi, make sure the meter is on before you get in, and write down the details.

My scumbags details are contained above, for anyone with links to the Police that has interest in such things as retaining tourism numbers on "quality" tourists that buy things at the malls.

A similar thing happened to my wife and I a couple of years ago...got into the taxi and the driver turned the meter on for the security officers sake and as we left for home the driver decided to turn off the meter. When my wife told him that we wouldn't pay for an unmetered fare he kindly dropped us of near a main intersection so that we could get another taxi. Non harm done, just a bit inconvenient and no cash changed hands.

• Like 1

I've been coming here for 8 years.. I was having a lazy day and he had the first option of turning his vacancy light off and refusing the fare. I couldn't be bothered standing on the bts platform and would've rather sat in the cab for an hour. But I do Co granulate those who say that the solution to a broken system is for those operating it to build a new machine.

He was not taking back streets, Rama 1 Te so lotus where he yelled "farang auk paid laew" is not on the map for getting to sukhumvit soi 10 from mbk..

So my complaint was that he dumped me in the middle.of nowhere, and had I not known where to find a motorbike taxi it would have been a very long walk to find one. If he didn't want a customer, he shouldn't be operating the cab, which is the point the caretaker.government and police are trying to communicate to drivers atm.

• Like 1

Meters are not turned on until pax is in taxi - that is normal - and every customer would be screaming if it were not so. You want to see them turn the meter on to be sure there is no excess charge (almost at end of 35 baht fee).

Compare negatively to the Philippines? Really? Guess we will just have to disagree on that point also. I have never felt threatened in a Thai taxi - can not say the same for the Philippines.

That said you were at peak traffic and taxi changeover time period so it could be the reason taxi was not able to complete your trip (had to return cab) and your run of bad luck.

FYI: I have been using taxis in Bangkok for more than 45 years and although not always a positive experience would rate the number of cheats at well below 5 percent and none have been more than the cost of a beer or two.

You're right I did not realise it was handover time, thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

I caught a metered taxi from Delhi airport to my hotel. The driver stopped outside a travel agency claiming this was my destination. I knew it wasn't and I refused to get out. He unloaded my bags, ranted and raved, went in and out of the travel agency and ranted and raved some more. I wasn't budging, he had no choice but to load my bags and drive me to my hotel. I had to bite my tongue to stop laughing.

Meters are not turned on until pax is in taxi - that is normal - and every customer would be screaming if it were not so. You want to see them turn the meter on to be sure there is no excess charge (almost at end of 35 baht fee).

Compare negatively to the Philippines? Really? Guess we will just have to disagree on that point also. I have never felt threatened in a Thai taxi - can not say the same for the Philippines.

That said you were at peak traffic and taxi changeover time period so it could be the reason taxi was not able to complete your trip (had to return cab) and your run of bad luck.

FYI: I have been using taxis in Bangkok for more than 45 years and although not always a positive experience would rate the number of cheats at well below 5 percent and none have been more than the cost of a beer or two.

this guys a couple cans short of a 6-pack

That's why I don't get into taxis that don't want to take me. Once I'm out of the line of sight of the cops, I'm at their mercy. And some of them aren't nice people. (In my experience, most of them are decent folk- just working hard to make a living under a system that makes it difficult to do so legally- without gaming it)

Good heads-up from the OP.

Right, and there are roughly how many taxi drivers in BKK ? 10-20,000 ?

Mate, you had a bad day - I get that - but this is hardly a scam. The CTH scam on Koh Chang that has left a Farang-Thai family fearing for their lives : THAT is a scam. Short of having a cop or soldier climb aboard on every cab ride in BKK, I cant see how the junta can do anything about this.

Well how about the Junta keeping his promise of ridding corruption, after all this is a corrupt practice. having the taxi losing his licence for a period might be a good deterrent. Knowing that things will just be the same but here is a solution. Come down hard on corrupt practices, after all wasn't that the whole reason for the coup?

The guy has had a bad day but I have heard of this practice before. The taxi industry doesn't do itself any favours and I have little sympathy for them. You pay for a service you expect it to be given.

8 out of 10 taxis I take have issues with them. Really poor

Thanks to those that have posted, my experience with taxis has generally been good and straight forward in the past - either you run the meter and I go, or you don't run the meter and I find another taxi. This is the first time a driver was openly malicious in their actions as a result of me asking them to "follow the rules" and be fair. I often tip a good driver, so they end up getting the asking price of some of the crooks. But if the driver acts dodgey through the trip they get the metered fare and not a baht more. I make a point to look after the good, honest and professional ones.

Also appluding those who have suggested I am not "all there".. I can assure you I am but expect that when I request a service, it is either provided and duty paid or the service refused and I can find a party that will. suggestions that somehow my world view is skewed are perhaps a suggestion that others might want to look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if they are contributing to ongoing corruption and dishonest transactions within the kingdom.

I just wanted to give a heads up to those particularly first time travellers, as MBK is a popular destination, to be aware of this trick. As mentioned by another poster maybe I should have taken the BTS and stopped being so lazy, point taken on board. I have learnt my lesson, and will not be taking any taxis from MBK anymore.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

this guys a couple cans short of a 6-pack

@fey

Saying that makes you a better person?

He's got some input on the topic.

You've got nothing.

He's saying that about a member who has helped more people on the forum than he ever could.

Just dumb.

• Like 1

>"I'm not going any further Farang so get out" in Thai. Real nice guy.

I'd have done the same as the taxi driver. Who in their right mind requests a ride from MBK to Suk Soi 11 at 5:30pm when there is a BTS line??

People with bags of shopping who prefer to avoid the crush of the BTS.

Any more idiotic posts on this thread?

• Like 2

Got another Scam alert.

I ordered a Pepsi and ice at the local noodle vender and they charged me 5b for the ice. There were no police there checking... Just be careful out there guys.

Sent from my c64

Pick a taxi at MBK? You might as well pick one of those tuk-tuks that are outside waiting for tourists that want to experience Bangkok. Someone who lives in Bangkok would go to National Stadium BTS and switch skytrain at Siam BTS or skip National Stadium BTS and walk to Siam BTS and take the skytrain to Nana BTS. In general the only time you can consider using a car to drive thru central Bangkok (not counting nighttime) is on Sundays.

You will certainly arrive at Sukhumvit 11 faster by using skytrain.

Edited by BKKBobby

I'd have done the same as the taxi driver. Who in their right mind requests a ride from MBK to Suk Soi 11 at 5:30pm when there is a BTS line??

When I read your post I just arrived to the conclusion that my last post was idiotic.

A tourist or even a expat might have found lots of interesting things in MBK and end up with bags full of stuff, no sarcasm.

Things you forget when you have lived here for some time and have lost the tourist feeling.

When I read your post I just arrived to the conclusion that my last post was idiotic.

A tourist or even a expat might have found lots of interesting things in MBK and end up with bags full of stuff, no sarcasm.

Things you forget when you have lived here for some time and have lost the tourist feeling.

The BTS is a nightmare at that time of day....personally I would be sitting in the bar at that time...not taking any transport....hehehe.....

The BTS is a nightmare at that time of day....personally I would be sitting in the bar at that time...not taking any transport....hehehe.....

I avoid the BTS at time in general too :)

Read post#25

Try not to be as dense as the o/p. The o/p even admitted to going all the way back on a motorcy which is even dafter than your comments. So hardly carrying too much baggage for the BTS.

Try not to be as dense as the o/p. The o/p even admitted to going all the way back on a motorcy which is even dafter than your comments. So hardly carrying too much baggage for the BTS.

.... Whether taking a taxi, using the BTS or taking a Motorcycle, with or without a lot of baggage is completely beside the point of the OP. You may as well suggest he could have walked that distance... The fact remains that the Op chose to use a taxi... what other options are available to him is completely irrelevant.

After choosing to take a taxi there 'should' be no further issue... Any deviation from taking the Op to his destination in a courteous and professional manner is a deviation from the service a taxi driver is 'supposed' to be offering.

This is not a grey area... Getting in a Taxi without an issue is a 'black and white' topic.. Suggesting the 'grey' area is simply acceptance that things are corrupt, that people (Taxi drivers) are getting away with enforcing their sense of entitlement. If they don't want to drive a taxi there is other work.

Fortunately - GrabTaxi and UBER offer a more reliable alternative to a flag-fall.

• Like 2