Now is a good time to renew an UK passport

Here, in Switzerland, i just got notifiction that my new Irish Passport is here. It's taken 7 weeks. Cost -107 swiss francs. About the same in Euros. Cheaper than a Brit one. Which i could get as well, but can't be arsed. All the paperwork and the angst of who to sign the back of the photos has done me for the next ten years!!

And, i know Mossy -i should have sent the whole thing to you. In the end the lawyer who sorted out my dead husband's money did it for me!! For free!!

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

I can tell ya, i went around the banks, the police, the Population Office, even the post office. Nada. Then i thought of the lawyer. Otherwise i would have been passportless - great, with a mother who is 85 years of age and not in the best of health and lives overseas. She is now happy i can travel to see her in the Summer. Alive.

I did actually think about going to a Church.

It's not the signing - its the stamp. Anyone can sign it.

And i don't think they would have appreciated my local Irish Pub, either!! And thinking back ten years, i think the lawyer did the last one.

What's fun is you get the old one back, with all the visas etc. for memories and a brand new one to start again with.

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

I can tell ya, i went around the banks, the police, the Population Office, even the post office. Nada. Then i thought of the lawyer. Otherwise i would have been passportless - great, with a mother who is 85 years of age and not in the best of health and lives overseas. She is now happy i can travel to see her in the Summer. Alive.

And i don't think they would have appreciated my local Irish Pub, either!!

I can't believe you've renounced your Scottishness.....nae free haggis for you at Hogmanay! tongue.png

The verification of the photo is not necessary as long as you don't look any different from your last photo - or at least obviously recogniseable. Like most people my passport photo was horrendous but rather than have to pay a solicitor to verify a new nice one, I took time and trouble to arrange hair etc etc to look the same. It worked but now I'm stuck for another 10 years with an even sillier photo cheesy.gif

• Like 1

One thing that, i hope will get better, is the fact that i shall send a letter to the Irish Embassy in Berne to tell them that people cannot get their photos endorsed in the places that they put on their list. And i hope it helps others, and that they change their list that is dated 2001. Which includes the name Garda!! They seem to take the Irish list and think it works in other countries, which is <deleted>.

Edited by Patsycat

One thing that, i hope will get better, is the fact that i shall send a letter to the Irish Embassy in Berne to tell them that people cannot get their photos endorsed in the places that they put on their list. And i hope it helps others, and that they change their list that is dated 2001. Which includes the name Garda!! They seem to take the Irish list and think it works in other countries, which is <deleted>.

I'd ban you for a week for that kinda language....and for not buying me a large Jamesons on Paddy's Day! biggrin.png

The English list is not any better. For example no policeman here in Germany will countersign a photo, they just send you to the public notary. In fact here in Germany I doubt you could get anyone to do it without charge.

The English list is not any better. For example no policeman here in Germany will countersign a photo, they just send you to the public notary. In fact here in Germany I doubt you could get anyone to do it without charge.

Already said you don't need photos signing any more....do keep up! rolleyes.gif

Already said you don't need photos signing any more....do keep up!

Only if you can be recognised from your old photo.... do keep up. Hair style alone can make a huge difference let alone 10 years of extra living !

Not in my case....I don't look a day over 18. smile.png

• Like 1

I am a woman, i change my hairstyles yearly. And as i could not smile in the photos i look sad. And old. And problably like one of my convict Australian cousins.

Who may be part of my family looking to have one!!!

Have i dug myself in yet...? Think so.

Anyway, 7 weeks in Europe.

Edited by Patsycat

And i don't think they would have appreciated my local Irish Pub, either!! And thinking back ten years, i think the lawyer did the last one.

What's fun is you get the old one back, with all the visas etc. for memories and a brand new one to start again with.

Regarding getting someone to countersign a British passport, for example when obtaining a renewal of child's passport, they say do not use a stamp.

Just get the person to state their profession, how they check I don't know.

I got mine back in 17 days in January at a cost of 106GBP - you've been had.:)

I actually look younger in my new passport than my old one as the photo shop "photo shopped" it.

You need theold one obviously to take to get your visa/extension transferred.

Also, don't listen to the British embassy - they told me to get it transferred in Bangok at Chaeng Wattana road and not where I got my extension.

• Like 1

It's not an English list.

If you have friends in the expat British community, with British passports, then it's much easier to get one of them to sign. A recognized professional qualification from a chartered body or post graduate degree from a UK university is fine.

Only if you can be recognised from your old photo.... do keep up. Hair style alone can make a huge difference let alone 10 years of extra living !

Hansum yung Man!

All the ladies tell you here eh? wink.png

My hair style hasnt changed for 30 years ,ime bald biggrin.png just give it a polish ,i am getting my new passport when i am in the UK 128 quid done the same day ,just checked the pics ,to be honest i have hardly changed at all ,luckily.

Went to BKK Trendy House 0n 9th Feb. my wife went to pick up my passport back from Uk on 7th March . flights , hotels ,taxis and more ,passport cost 400 quid.

The only good thing is everyone says I look younger now then in the photo taken 10+ years ago. Could this be caused by no wife any longer in the Uk but one over here or a better diet of hairy clams ?

• Like 1

Hansum yung Man!

All the ladies tell you here eh? wink.png

Is that the one where the gals say, "welcome handsome man, you buy me drink?" Not that they are biased or have any agenda at all! Maybe a little short sighted?

One query for UK renewals

Supporting documents to verify address

Is the 90 day address notification at Immigration recognized by UK passort office as valid supporting document

JGV

how early can you apply for a new one, one year?

You can apply as early as you like, I applied for my last one three years before my old one expired as it was full, they will credit you with up to nine months of any unexpired portion of your old passport.
  • Like 1

Here, in Switzerland, i just got notifiction that my new Irish Passport is here. It's taken 7 weeks. Cost -107 swiss francs. About the same in Euros. Cheaper than a Brit one. Which i could get as well, but can't be arsed. All the paperwork and the angst of who to sign the back of the photos has done me for the next ten years!!

And, i know Mossy -i should have sent the whole thing to you. In the end the lawyer who sorted out my dead husband's money did it for me!! For free!!

You don't need the silly signing back of photos any more with UK passports.

Just ask your local mosque to send it off and its back in a week.

facepalm.gif

Just renewed our sons passport (5years old) and the passport pics DO need to be countersigned in the UK.

Maybe different if he was older.

sad.png

An improvement on the £170 it cost me in 2013 - granted for 48 pages (40 useable). But, so long as it you're not replacing it because it's full (you need at least 3 blank pages remaining) ... you can extend it, for 12 months, at no cost, at the embassy. You should apply no earlier than 3 months before it's due to expire, and within 6 months of it expiring - something that obviously shouldn't be the case overseas.