Former Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser dies aged 84

webfact

Former Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser dies aged 84

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Malcolm Fraser, a former Australian prime minister has died. He was 84 years old.

Fraser's office said in a statement Fraser died in the early hours of Friday after a short illness.

Fraser's conservative Liberal Party came to power in a constitutional crisis in 1975 and he remained the nation's leader until a center-left Labor Party government was elected in 1983.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-20

The man was a great politician and a statesman in his hay days, he was a supporter of Israel

cause all his premiership years according to the Australian long standing of supporting Israel,

but this support has gone about face in his later years whereby he become a more of the

supporter of the Palestinians cause accusing Israel of all sorts of nonsenses accusations,

what happened to hip opinions now one knows, maybe he went feeble minded in his twilight

years...

My initial impression was of a leading member of the squattocracy, with a born to rule attitude. I still have not forgiven the dismissal; anti democratic. However he was always good on race issues and dragged along the liberal party on opposition to apartheid. He was generous to vietnamese refugees. He always sounded a little shy, but he could express ideas in print really well.

• Like 1

A pollie who did act as he thought best for his party even though some of his acts were not in line with my views. A man human enough to lose his trousers in a foreign country and have to walk through the foyer of his hotel without them. A man who in later life did much for the benefit of underdeveloped countries. One of the last of the true Politicians.

The dismissal was his lowest moment, despite labors incompetence always seemed there was more to what really went on there.

Later became quite a humanitarian and was also vocal that Australia should have an independent foreign policy and not act like America's poodle joining all their wars of aggression screaming "me too".

Sadly both parties are now pro war where ever they can find it, makes you wonder whether a lesson was taught to Labor with Whitlam. Likewise the no pants event.