Arrest warrant issued for Takhmao governor’s wife

geovalin

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has issued an arrest warrant for Thoy Kimsean, the wife of Takhmao town Governor Eam Samay, over allegations she issued a fake cheque worth $185,000 in 2013.

“She was charged by the municipal court’s prosecutor with not fulfilling the obligations of a trade [issuing a cheque with insufficient funds],” Vireak Seng, a clerk at the court, told the Post. “She was summonsed by the court’s investigating judge for questioning three times in the past, but she did not meet with the judge when summonsed, which resulted in him issuing a warrant for her arrest.”

Seng declined to provide more details about the case. Keo Mony, the investigating judge handling the case, could not be reached for comment.

According to testimony by plaintiff Seam Simon issued to the court on January 19, Thoy Kimsean borrowed $185,000 from her on May 1, 2013. Kimsean allegedly offered to pay Seam back at a rate of 2 per cent interest per month.

Kimsean paid for the loan interest for three months in cash. Soon after, however, Kimsean stopped paying altogether; she allegedly changed her phone number several times, and actively avoided Simon.

Eventually, Simon managed to track Kimsean down, and demanded Kimsean compensate her.

On November 20, 2013, Kimsean wrote a cheque issued from a local bank for $185,000 to erase her debt. But when Simon tried to cash the cheque, it bounced.

Now, Simon is requesting that she be paid the full amount of the loan, plus damages.

“I demand that she return my $185,000 and pay me damages worth $20,000,” Simon said in her court statement. “I am also asking the court to punish her in accordance with the law.”

Kandal provincial police chief Brigadier General Eav Chamroeun said that police had still not received a warrant for Kimsean’s arrest.

“I did not see or receive a warrant sent from the court,” he said. “But once we receive it, we will take action.”

Kimsean and Governor Samay, as well as their lawyers, could not be reached for comment.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/arrest-warrant-issued-takhmao-governors-wife