Common Perceptions Of Thailand By Westerners Who Never Came.

PepperMe

OP, you are saying that people in a "completely Thai unrelated forum based in the UK", are bashing Thailand out of ignorance.

What about the people on TVF that is a "completely Thai related" forum, and most members live here.

Did you notice any similarities?

The thread is not about people bashing Thailand... We who live here, bash about individual things, or we agree or disagree. Some bash and some defend. That happens in just about every country. The people on this UK forum relentlessly bash the UK.

This thread is about the perception of Thailand by people who have never even been here.

My message in this, is that their common perception if true..... we would not be here.... Are you here?... Is it so bad you want to leave??????

Common Perceptions

not directed at Thailand specifically but perceptions are usually grounded in actual events that become generalizations/stereotypes

Are you suggesting that some of the things you list as perceptions as regards Thailand, never happened or don't happen in Thailand ?....if they have happened then they are not perceptions then, do they happen to everyone..No

just to pick up on few of your examples:

"be all and end all" of Thailand is the sex industry...are you doubting the role of the sex industry in Thailand or denying it exists in a big way in Thailand ?

"facade" of tidy western hotels, lies extreme poverty.- I suggest you open your eyes then this could in fact be true dependent on ones interpretation of "extreme poverty"

But considering the staggering amount of expats in Thailand, and how many would staggering be ?

• Like 1

I think the op dose not know much about thailand at all , some of the things are wright but I have seen first hand how western man get ripe of here and I am not a farlang ok I am from the west , farlang is a racist word .

Lol.... So you think all that is Thailand encompassed do you?

You need to get out of Pattaya more.

I have lived in Korat for 5 years, and I would not know where to go to find a prostitute. But then agai, I have no need for one being married and all that.

Seems to me the premise of your OP is the predictable apologist thread and trying to prove your better then everyone else and your at one with your "Thainess"

You criticise people oversea's for their perceptions/sterotypes of Thailand and here you are doing exactly that in response to the posters comments

• Like 2

I think the op dose not know much about thailand at all , some of the things are wright but I have seen first hand how western man get ripe of here and I am not a farlang ok I am from the west , farlang is a racist word .

I have lived in Korat for 5 years, and I would not know where to go to find a prostitute. But then agai, I have no need for one being married and all that.

I have lived in Korat for 5 years, and I would not know where to go to find a prostitute

You need to get out of the house more.

I dont live in Korat, but have visited often enough to know where in Korat to go.

Where do you think the locals go?

• Like 2

Common Perceptions

not directed at Thailand specifically but perceptions are usually grounded in actual events that become generalizations/stereotypes

Are you suggesting that some of the things you list as perceptions as regards Thailand, never happened or don't happen in Thailand ?....if they have happened then they are not perceptions then, do they happen to everyone..No

just to pick up on few of your examples:

"be all and end all" of Thailand is the sex industry...are you doubting the role of the sex industry in Thailand or denying it exists in a big way in Thailand ?

"facade" of tidy western hotels, lies extreme poverty.- I suggest you open your eyes then this could in fact be true dependent on ones interpretation of "extreme poverty"

But considering the staggering amount of expats in Thailand, and how many would staggering be ?

Oh they happen, and they exist but the generalizations are actually nothing more than isolated cases, yet the bigger picture of what Thailand actually has to offer is way more than these stereotypes. Outside of a few locations frequented by tourists and the western media profile of the place, there is a very different country with a great culture, great lifestyle and great prospects.

Remember, the OP relates to the stereotypes being applied to Thailand in it entirety. Which of course is laughable.

I have lived in Korat for 5 years, and I would not know where to go to find a prostitute

You need to get out of the house more.

I dont live in Korat, but have visited often enough to know where in Korat to go.

Where do you think the locals go?

I get out a hell of a lot.

I do not go looking for it, you do.... So what?

What i am saying is that it is well hidden and not in your face like in Nana or Walking Street. Outside of those few red light districts, it is well hidden. I have no need for those places. This is like saying that even though most major cities in the UK also have their red light districts, that the UK is one big red light district..... again, laughable.

• Like 2