So you are a bleeding heart in your homeland, you've moved to Thailand & now you want to change it

neverdie

Maybe it is the memory of the sixties - it took us only 10 years to completely change western society.

Right. And when we arrived in the mid seventies and looked what you have done ....

sex-pistols-no-future-malcolm-mclaren.jp

When the police was asked if John Lennon represented any danger for the society, the answer was "he's way too stoned for that !" Great legacy !

Too answer the OP the secret of happiness in Thailand is to lower your expectation until you have none. Then you won't be disappointed.

Edited by JohnnyJazz
  • Like 2

QUOTE:

>>>>>>>Too answer the OP the secret of happiness in Thailand is to lower your expectation until you have none. Then you won't be disappointed.<<<<<<<

Do you realize that this could be considered Thai bashing?

Why ? I don't expect anything, I take things the way they are and I'm happy.

In my previous life my job was to get things done. No whining accepted, get things done or be replaced. I left physically and mentally exhausted. Now it's other people turn to care. How could it be considered Thai bashing ? In fact I was even recently accused of being an "apologist" ...

• Like 2

QUOTE:

>>>>>>>Too answer the OP the secret of happiness in Thailand is to lower your expectation until you have none. Then you won't be disappointed.<<<<<<<

Why are you Thai bashing?

It's a pandemic here at TVF. Theres no more space for that here, it's already been said.

• Like 1

QUOTE:

It's a pandemic here at TVF. Theres no more space for that here, it's already been said.

Can you please explain your reply? Who is the "you" in your reply?

Life wasn't meant to be easy.

Its my birthday ,my son just gave me a card that had an old guy on the front relaxing ,and it said lay back relax and do nothing ,its your birthday ,

inside it said ,like you always do.

life has always been easy for me ,arnt i lucky?

Its my birthday ,my son just gave me a card that had an old guy on the front relaxing ,and it said lay back relax and do nothing ,its your birthday ,

Yes you are lucky, and so am I.

We were lucky to be born in modern countries.

Many others, including Thai, were not so lucky, which brings us back to the topic.

QUOTE:

I thought 'you' was you, but maybe I'm mistaken. Who was the initial who? You?

Happy Birthday Sir,

And many more to come ! ?

• Like 1

QUOTE:

I thought 'you' was you, but maybe I'm mistaken. Who was the initial who? You?

Now I have to ask you to explain 2 posts....

There are people doing there best to stop child prostitution, child labour. There are people who work with the homeless, the poor, the handicapped.

Would you say to them "why are you trying to change things, why don't you just leave things the way they are ?"

Sometimes things change for the better.

Yes, it is good to improve things, yet often the methods are wrong and produce undesirable results.

Maybe it is the memory of the sixties - it took us only 10 years to completely change western society.

I wouldn't be so quick to congratulate yourself for that. Have you seen the state of the place now?

Halelujah. That's the second reincarnation of my father in this thread.

Unless Soibiker and Canuckamuck are of the same generation as my father was.

But to answer you SoiBiker:

Yes I am proud to have participated in the sixties movement.

We successfully abolished an outdated culture of corruption, patronage, and narrow mindedness.

Admittedly, we were less successful at establishing new norms and values, because of the resistance of the old powers.

See the link with the opening post and Thailand?

I'm not sure the results are something to be proud of.

Corruption - still there

Patronage - replaced by networks of executive-type people with slightly above average intelligence and good hair

Narrow mindedness - replaced by mainstream political-correctness intolerant of other lifestyles

What has certainly been taken away is the power of individual persons, in all parts of society, to get things done.

It is what it is..... Just watch and have a laugh ....

Just one hour ago in Bkk sitting at McDs having a burger. Farangs doing same me finish and take their trays and dump in garbage can and put tray on top. Very simple and takes no effort. 100% of Thais, yes 100%, left their mess on the table with the exception of one who brings her tray over to the trash but only sets it on top of the other trays and does not dump.... why ???? Now farangs go to dump their tray but have to look around for a place to put the tray after dumping. Hahaha.... made me laugh but also wonder why we farang will take the time to do things correctly and kind while Thais will just ignore and leave someone else to clean up after them. Sometimes I see a cleaning lady picking up trays at some fastfood places but at McDs the cans are setup for the customers to do. Do you think perhaps Thais share a sense of entitlement ? Totally different mindset ...

• Like 1

Just one hour ago in Bkk sitting at McDs having a burger. Farangs doing same me finish and take their trays and dump in garbage can and put tray on top. Very simple and takes no effort. 100% of Thais, yes 100%, left their mess on the table with the exception of one who brings her tray over to the trash but only sets it on top of the other trays and does not dump.... why ???? Now farangs go to dump their tray but have to look around for a place to put the tray after dumping. Hahaha.... made me laugh but also wonder why we farang will take the time to do things correctly and kind while Thais will just ignore and leave someone else to clean up after them. Sometimes I see a cleaning lady picking up trays at some fastfood places but at McDs the cans are setup for the customers to do. Do you think perhaps Thais share a sense of entitlement ? Totally different mindset ...

You do realise that you are probably depriving a Thai of a job! smile.png

• Like 2

You do realise that you are probably depriving a Thai of a job! smile.png

is that the same Thais who pickup the trash on the beach who would be deprived of a job. Hahaha.... I think they quit already long ago.

Farangs have been trained to do it, and I don't mean training in the positive way of acquiring a skill, I mean trained like an animal would be trained to automatically perform what its master wants.

Personally, I do like some aspects of Asian culture, in particular the sense of who a customer is.

You simply don't ask a customer to clean up trash.

• Like 2

At least they did'nt toss it on the floor,like they seem to do at my wife's shop.

At least they did'nt toss it on the floor,like they seem to do at my wife's shop.

brilliant idea how to use your beloved FIL-let him clean the mess...

• Like 1

Farangs have been trained to do it, and I don't mean training in the positive way of acquiring a skill, I mean trained like an animal would be trained to automatically perform what its master wants.

Personally, I do like some aspects of Asian culture, in particular the sense of who a customer is.

You simply don't ask a customer to clean up trash.

trained ....really? I walked out and dumped my tray and took a look at all the people walking around looking for a clean table to sit at. Someone was at my table in a second because I took a second and dumped my tray. I am sure that person was happy to get and not have to stand around waiting for someone, who was not seen, to clean a table.

McDs is about cheap fast food, hardly a sitdown restrurant where people take your order. It's about serving yourself and cutting costs.

Also, what's so difficult about dumping a tray, it takes a second.

• Like 2