Converting my non B visa to family Non O visa. Can it be done in Hatyai or only in Bangkok?

I'm a farang woman married to a Thai national. I will work in Surat Thani province next. He is from Nakhon Si Thammarat. Since I worked in Hatyai before, Surat Thani immigration officers advised me two weeks ago to convert my Non B visa to the family non O visa at the Nakhon si Thammarat immigration office, since my husband was born in that province. So, we went there last Monday. The officer there says that up to a month ago he could do these conversion but now the government wants people with these visa situations to go to either Bangkok or Songkhla / Hatyai.

The guy did not seem 100 % sure as to whether Hatyai can do it though. He said that Bangkok immigration can act as an 'embassy' now and do the conversion for us without me having to leave the country. He said Hatyai could too then retracted his words as if he doubted whether that was the case.

I'm if this is true or not? I will stop working at my school in the next few weeks and will stay home and take care of my family for a little while. So, I don't need a work permit or anything yet, but want the visa sorted out.

Does anybody on the forum know if the immigration in Hatyai serves the same purpose as Bangkok immigration does for the conversion of a Non B visa to a Non O visa based on my marriage?

Looking for any advice on this issue. Thanks

You cannot change non immigrant classes. The only conversions done are from tourist or visa exempt entries to non immigrant visas.

If you have a non-b visa you can apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage with it You do not have to have a non-o visa to apply for it.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon working you obtained from immigration you can change the reason for your extension to one based upon marriage. But not all immigration offices will allow you to do it.

You have to apply for the extension at the immigration office where you are living.

I know technically you are supposed to be able to get an extension based on marriage with a non-b original visa, but I think it can depend on who is interpreting the rules. I had my paperwork in order, and went last December to do just that, and was refused at Nonthaburi immigration because "you can't get extension of stay based on marriage for a non-b visa". Needless to say, I was on a plane for mukdahan/savanniket the next day for a non-O marriage visa.

The abusive "extension to visa matching" interpretation one of the most disturbing policies taken by immigration offices in Thailand, especially because the regulations are crystal clear. Wasted time and money, and in the end Thailand doesn't gain anything from it.

All it would take would be a circular letter published by headquarters, to set the record straight - but that's not happening, it's simply ignored.

I just want to add that this was in no way deliberate or done to spite a farang. I've gone to Nonthaburi immigration for many years now. They are genuinely helpful to me. I speak only Thai with them and they usually are helpful and work through issues. This particular time I had my wife along (although for most things I don't), and her and the officer were joking and talking it up like old friends. The officer even took 15 minutes to pursue the issue upstairs. Not sure if any calls were placed. More probably she checked with the person in charge. They simply made a call based on ignorance.

Thanks for all your replies. I DID go to the office where we are living (Nakhon si Thammarat). My husband is even born here, however, the officer directed us to Bangkok or to Hatyai. If he is wrong, then I guess I will have to go to Penang to change to a Non O marriage visa. I cannot extend the non B based on marriage because I am not working and don't intend working for a while. Does anybody know if my husband would have to accompany me to Penang if I go to convert to a non O family visa based on marriage?

You should be able to just get an extension based on your husband being a Thai national, without the need to get a non-O visa as you currently already have a non-immigrant visa.

Recently immigration seems reluctant to allow extensions based on another reason than the original visa was issued for, but the police order regarding extensions of stay only say that you need a non-immigrant visa, which you have. (Non-immigrant B in your case).

For a conversion from a tourist visa to a non-immigrant visa you would indeed need to go to Bangkok or Hat Yai.

Not one person answered her question of >>>Does anybody on the forum know if the immigration in Hatyai serves the same purpose as Bangkok immigration does for the conversion of a Non B visa to a Non O visa based on my marriage?<<<<<

Not one person answered her question of >>>Does anybody on the forum know if the immigration in Hatyai serves the same purpose as Bangkok immigration does for the conversion of a Non B visa to a Non O visa based on my marriage?<<<<<

Answered by ubonjoe in #3 above:

You cannot change non immigrant classes. The only conversions done are from tourist or visa exempt entries to non immigrant visas.

Edited by paz

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If disappointed with the responses received why not just ask the question at Hat Yai immigration office ?

Careful reading will reveal that answers were provided.

Visa classes can never be changed !

Edited by nzexpat

Thanks for all your replies. I DID go to the office where we are living (Nakhon si Thammarat). My husband is even born here, however, the officer directed us to Bangkok or to Hatyai. If he is wrong, then I guess I will have to go to Penang to change to a Non O marriage visa. I cannot extend the non B based on marriage because I am not working and don't intend working for a while. Does anybody know if my husband would have to accompany me to Penang if I go to convert to a non O family visa based on marriage?

The immigration officer gave completely wrong information. Perhaps because you were asking for a change which cannot be done. Perhaps if you had gone in with all the documentation for an extension of stay they would of done it. I am still not sure if you have a valid non-b visa entry or an extension of stay you got at immigration. If it is an extension you would need a letter from your employer stating the date you job ended to have the extension canceled.

You can go alone to Penang to get your non-o visa It will not be a change it will be applying for a new visa.

You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies of you husbands house book registry and ID card.