Desktop PC now requires wi-fi connection....

Thai Chi

I have finally been dragged into the technological 21ST century with the purchase of a smart 'phone.

I now need to have a connection between it and my current desktop PC.

My desktop PC has a non wi-fi modem.

After a bit of reading I have come to the conclusion that I need 1 of 2 things to connect my new 'phone to my PC.

1. A new wi-fi modem

2. A usb wi-fi adapter

Assuming I have that part right I am trying to find out the following:

I guess that a usb wi-fi adapter would only work when the PC was up and running ?

I am thinking that a wi-fi modem, even with the PC turned off (but modem on) would still allow a connection to my 'phone ?

Am I even on the right track?

wai2.gif

Wi-fi modem would be your best bet

I am thinking that a wi-fi modem, even with the PC turned off (but modem on) would still allow a connection to my 'phone ?

yes thats correct.

you could buy a usb wi-fi adapter to connect your pc to the new modem but a LAN cable would be better and cheaper in most cases

Most android and apple phones connect to the pc via a usb cable that's normally supplied with the phone. No wifi needed.

ok i need to edit. If your using your phone as a wifi hotspot then youll need a usb to wifi adapter about 600 baht

Edited by yankee99

Thanks guys ......

My apologies for the unclear terminology in my post.

The reason (one of them) I need a wi-fi connection between my new 'phone and my desktop PC is because I have set up the 'phones updates to be done by internet only. I am only using a pre-paid 12 call sim.

Also, my daughters smart 'phone is currently running off a neighbors connection (with their blessing) and I would prefer her to use our connection.

So it looks like a wi-fi modem is the go at this stage ......

thumbsup.gif

you can connect your smart phone to the internet anywhere via wi-fi and update,read your mail etc even while you have a coffee in starbucks,just make sure mobile data is turned off and wi-fi on.its your phone that needs a wi-fi connection.

Edited by adammike

Thanks guys ......

My apologies for the unclear terminology in my post.

The reason (one of them) I need a wi-fi connection between my new 'phone and my desktop PC is because I have set up the 'phones updates to be done by internet only. I am only using a pre-paid 12 call sim.

Also, my daughters smart 'phone is currently running off a neighbors connection (with their blessing) and I would prefer her to use our connection.

So it looks like a wi-fi modem is the go at this stage ......

thumbsup.gif

For the sake of clarity:

There probably is a... "box" sitting between your computer and "the internet", meaning on one side of the box there is a telephone cable and except for the electric supply cable, the other cable that comes out is most probably a network cable that looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=network+cable&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=AY4OVc7pCNGUuASS04HIAQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1279&bih=1034

alternatively, you might have no network cable, but a USB cable instead that looks like one of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+cable&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kY4OVZeELY6puwTP54CgCg&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1279&bih=1034

The best way to solve your problem is to replace the above box with a "wireless ADSL router", that looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+cable&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kY4OVZeELY6puwTP54CgCg&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1279&bih=1034#tbm=isch&q=wireless+router

(the wireless router will still provide a cable network connection to connect to your computer by cable)

There are 2 ways to get such a router:

1- Your internet service provider most likely has wireless routers for rent, just contact them and they will install it for you

2- Instead of renting, you can also also buy your own router. Before buying, make sure to check requirements with your internet service provider and find someone to install it for you.

you can connect your smart phone to the internet anywhere via wi-fi and update,read your mail etc even while you have a coffee in starbucks,just make sure mobile data is turned off and wi-fi on.its your phone that needs a wi-fi connection.

Thanks adammike .... that I understand already.

Much to the surprise of my few Facebook friends, I posted a picture of my lunch via the restaurants wi-fi today.

What I am talking about is the same thing, but in my house with an existing non wi-fi modem.

smile.png

You can just ADD a WiFi Access Point to your current setup, just need a place to plug in the Ethernet Cable and AC power adapter. This would give all your WiFi capable device access to the Internet (and potentially each other).

No need to do anything with the PC as it already has an Internet Connection.

The only thing to look for, then, would be to verify that the current modem/router has an available open Ethernet port.

(The alternative is to replace the existing modem/router with a modem/router/WiFi version)

To follow up on what RichCor said, actually you can connect a WiFi access point to your modem even if you only have one Ethernet port available. You could then connect both your phone and PC wirelessly. What is the model of your present modem? If it's old, you may benefit from getting a new wireless ADSL modem. If you are satisfied with your present modem and it has two Ethernet ports, then RichCor's advice would be the one to follow.

To follow up on what RichCor said, actually you can connect a WiFi access point to your modem even if you only have one Ethernet port available. You could then connect both your phone and PC wirelessly.

How would the PC connect to the wifi ?

To follow up on what RichCor said, actually you can connect a WiFi access point to your modem even if you only have one Ethernet port available. You could then connect both your phone and PC wirelessly.

How would the PC connect to the wifi ?

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/tp-link/n150-wireless-usb-adapter-tl-wn727n-p022063/

Thanks sherlock but that kinda defeats the OP's requirements, going from needing one device to connect the phone to the internet to now a secondary device to connect the PC that was already connected to start with.

Why you would on purpose change a lan connected PC to wifi is beyond me, not as if the Pc is "portable".

the easy no skills required way is to contact internet supplier, 3BB, Tot etc and get them to sort it, they will set it all up, or Tot will set up a router at the store and all you need to do is plug it all in.

Why you would on purpose change a lan connected PC to wifi is beyond me, not as if the Pc is "portable".

FWIW I put a wireless PCI NIC in my desktop so I could connect to a wireless printer in another room. It was much easier than trying to run a wire. It also allows me to share files with my laptop and smartphone from anywhere in the house without hooking up wires. Everything sees and uses the router.

Also FWIW a Windows machine can become a router by using the built in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in Windows, but the OP doesn't need that. Back in the day when routers were expensive we used to do that with ethernet cables and a cheap duplex switch so that people could have more than one computer online with just one computer hooked to the internet. It requires that the host machine have two NICs.

Cheers

Edited by NeverSure

FWIW I put a wireless PCI NIC in my desktop so I could connect to a wireless printer in another room. It was much easier than trying to run a wire. It also allows me to share files with my laptop and smartphone from anywhere in the house without hooking up wires. Everything sees and uses the router.

Also FWIW a Windows machine can become a router by using the built in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in Windows, but the OP doesn't need that. Back in the day when routers were expensive we used to do that with ethernet cables and a cheap duplex switch so that people could have more than one computer online with just one computer hooked to the internet. It requires that the host machine have two NICs.

Cheers

The OP has a PC already connected to a router and was simply asking how he can connect his phone to the internet.

So I have no idea why anyone would suggest he go putting wifi cards into it so it too can connect via wifi.

Reading.... some just simply do not comprehend do they.