My First Trip To Issan Mid October 2006

tampasailor

Sawadee, I am a Canadian with a US GreenCard. I have been traveling to Thailand for many years but my first trip to Issan. I will be visiting a friend in Buriram and her family in Surin. Would be great to meet any of you. We are meeting in BKK and wonder about best way to travel to Buriram, She is taking the train to BKK but might like to see the country in between so thinking of the bus and where a good stop over might be on the way to Buriram. I will have some dental work done in Burirum but Nong is taking care of the appointment etc.

I need some help in finding a good place to repair her motor bike. The battery is new but not charging and she has been frustrated with the local shops because they cant seem to find the "bad wire". So if you know of a good shop please let me know as will be one of my chores when I arrive in Burirum. NONG's BIKE is a SUZUKI AGIRA 1993

If anyone needs any small items stateside I would be glad to bring with me. I have business in Taiwan, HK and China before i get to Thailand. I am on msn messenger, aol im, skype and festoon.

Anyone can reach me at <email removed> rgds, ly

Edited by Totster

Sawadee, I am a Canadian with a US GreenCard. I have been traveling to Thailand for many years but my first trip to Issan. I will be visiting a friend in Buriram and her family in Surin. Would be great to meet any of you. We are meeting in BKK and wonder about best way to travel to Buriram, She is taking the train to BKK but might like to see the country in between so thinking of the bus and where a good stop over might be on the way to Buriram. I will have some dental work done in Burirum but Nong is taking care of the appointment etc.

I need some help in finding a good place to repair her motor bike. The battery is new but not charging and she has been frustrated with the local shops because they cant seem to find the "bad wire". So if you know of a good shop please let me know as will be one of my chores when I arrive in Burirum. NONG's BIKE is a SUZUKI AGIRA 1993

If anyone needs any small items stateside I would be glad to bring with me. I have business in Taiwan, HK and China before i get to Thailand. I am on msn messenger, aol im, skype and festoon.

Anyone can reach me at <email removed> rgds, ly

Firstly, click on the link at the top of the page to Farang Connection. There you will see how to get here, and other useful hints about the area. They change the train times every few weeks so they are only a rough guide.A good stopover between BKK and Buriram would either be Khoaw Yai National Park, or Korat ( Nakon Ratchisima) If your friend has the dentist sorted out, ok, but there are a number of excellent dentists in Surin. One question of course is, does your friend live in Buriram town itself. If it's Buriram province then it can be up to 150 km's from the town. When you finally touch down in Surin, pop along to see us and we'll answer any other questions you have. (or try to)

Lampard thanks for the post. She knows the train situation but usually goes to bkk for business i find, and has never had the chance to have a look around. She works for Burirum Town Hospital as a librarian and does admin work so travels with the doctors etc to meetings in bkk. She has family in Surin town which is about 60 minutes by scooter and visits them there on weekends.

OK on the parks, I have seen them on the map... Do we need a car for the parks? She has mentioned that she would like to see also.

So the problem is not to get to Buriram but how to best see the sites on the way rather than just reading a book on the train if you know what i mean.

Re fixing the bike, we could have it done in Surin city but only on the weekend...in Buriram it would be done during the week. As it is she cant find any one who can fix the problem and so cant drive at night. During the day she can kick start so that is not a problem but the thing wond charge the dang battery. Sounds like something easy to fix but is there a lack of skilled work in Burirum?? I dont understand why she cant get anyone to fix it. i see my email address and webpage was deleted so guess that is not allowed here. Guess i need to read the rules again. How can we make direct email contact with others on the forum?

How do we find you in Surin?

i see my email address and webpage was deleted so guess that is not allowed here. Guess i need to read the rules again. How can we make direct email contact with others on the forum?

How do we find you in Surin?

There is a map on the web-site, but we are at the back of the main bus station. Don't know why your E-mail address and web-site were deleted. You do mean on your viewing profile do you. If you are not sure, click on your name and a seperate window comes up so you can put info on it. That goes for most on the Thai Visa network, just click on their names. You can then send PM's or E-mails.

That's the travel advice sorted..... now the bike.

Sounds like something easy to fix but is there a lack of skilled work in Burirum?? I dont understand why she cant get anyone to fix it.

I'm having a little difficulty understanding that one too..... if she does live 'in the boonies' I could understand it if the problem was the alternator (or whatever it is that puts power back into the battery.... I understand computers, not motors).... if that part needed replacing they may not have one.

But if she is within easy reach of Buriram central, there should not be a problem, there are many good motor repair shops..... heck, there's a hel_l of a lot of motorbikes.

That's the travel advice sorted..... now the bike.
Sounds like something easy to fix but is there a lack of skilled work in Burirum?? I dont understand why she cant get anyone to fix it.
ME TOO....LY

I'm having a little difficulty understanding that one too..... if she does live 'in the boonies' I could understand it if the problem was the alternator (or whatever it is that puts power back into the battery.... I understand computers, not motors).... if that part needed replacing they may not have one. SHE SAYS THEY COULDNT FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG AND SOLD HER A NEW BATTERY WHICH JUST LASTED A FEW HOURS WITHOUT SOMETHING TO CHARGE IT.

But if she is within easy reach of Buriram central, there should not be a problem, there are many good motor repair shops..... heck, there's a hel_l of a lot of motorbikes.

YES I CAN IMAGINE AS YOU SAY.

Hi Thad and thanks for the post. Bruiram Center..ok will start there. Gawd knows where she took it to have it fixed but they were no help. Almost got some Thai mechanics I know here in Tampa to call to see if they could figure it out talking to the mechanic there. If the alternator is shot then there are probably alternator repair places in Surin or can get a used one from bkk or a new one for that matter as they are tiny compared to a car alternator... typically the diodes need to be replaced. Anyway it should be a fun exercise as i dont speak but a few words of Thai and she doesnt know any words for motorbike parts so i imagine a lot of pointing and grunting 55.

I am afraid she is going to get caught in the rain and have to come back home from Surin at night with no lights and get hurt. I dont know what the road to Buriram is like but i can imagine and she has her 10 yr old son on the back. She has her webcam up and running but now the computer is in the shop and so we havnt had contact except for txt msgs on the cell phones. She should be back from bkk over the weekend and then she wil have msn at her work for a few minutes when she gets off work.

She reads and writes english quite well but has had no one to practice speaking with so i sent an english course to her on cd's We can share this with any of you reading if of use to you. There are 13 cd's to copy .. .thats all.

I dont know what the road to Buriram is like but i can imagine and she has her 10 yr old son on the back.

The road between Surin and Buriram is, for the most part, quite good quality and wide. The scary part when you are on two wheels are the very large trucks, they can achieve Warp Factor 6 in places.

Anyway it should be a fun exercise as i dont speak but a few words of Thai and she doesnt know any words for motorbike parts so i imagine a lot of pointing and grunting 55.

:D Can I come and watch ....... :o

I dont know what the road to Buriram is like but i can imagine and she has her 10 yr old son on the back.

The road between Surin and Buriram is, for the most part, quite good quality and wide. The scary part when you are on two wheels are the very large trucks, they can achieve Warp Factor 6 in places.

Anyway it should be a fun exercise as i dont speak but a few words of Thai and she doesnt know any words for motorbike parts so i imagine a lot of pointing and grunting 55.

:D Can I come and watch ....... :o

When I was 16 my father came to me and asked me what I wanted for my birthday.

I said "Dad I want a Watch' So he let me!

Just had a thought (had to happen sooner or later today)

What make is the motorbike? even in a smallish town like Prakonchai, the main dealers have a service department.

If the answer is JRD, I can fully understand why she is having problems :o

Edited by Thaddeus

Just had a thought (had to happen sooner or later today)

What make is the motorbike? even in a smallish town like Prakonchai, the main dealers have a service department.

If the answer is JRD, I can fully understand why she is having problems :o

NONG's BIKE IS A SUZUKI AGIRA 1993...........THANKS THAD!

I THINK ITS 100 CC I CANT FIND ANY INFO ON IT VIA GOOGLE.

ARE THERE ANY FARANG CONNECTION MEMBERS IN BURIRAM CITY?

WE CAN TAKE IT TO SURIN WHILE I AM THERE AS NONG IS TAKING TIME OFF WORK AND HER FAMILY IS IN RURAL SURIN I BELIEVE AS THEY HAVE A SMALL RICE FARM. I WOULD LIKE TO GET IT BACK IN GOOD SAFE CONDITION FOR HER BEFORE I LEAVE. MAYBE NEW TIRES TOO.. I WILL HAVE TO HAVE A LOOK AT IT. SHE SAYS FAMILY IS 50KM FROM THE HOSPITAL IN BURIRAM WHERE SHE WORKS.

The program and cd's I mentioned earlier is Instant Immersion English Platinum and you can find any details with a Google search. We can share with anyone who has interest. There are 11 c's with the pkg and we have the 2 also that go with the beginners package for total of 13.

Hi Mate:

Well there are plenty of Suzuki main Dealer in Burriram also in Surin, I know we are in contact by email already but if we can help we will. If you want us to make contact with your lady at the hospital no problem.

macb

Hi Mate:

Well there are plenty of Suzuki main Dealer in Burriram also in Surin, I know we are in contact by email already but if we can help we will. If you want us to make contact with your lady at the hospital no problem.

macb

hi macb and thanks for the post. i am starting to get the picture of burirum now. not sure what the problem is. orignially thought there were no good repair shops there but now see there is... this is good news as think i should be able to take care of it ok and have here bike brought up to snuff and find her a shop she can trust. of course her new battery will go bad not being charged in the mean time and would be better removed and just kept charged. i told her that but she does not have enough understanding of these things and will need to replace that battery probably if it has been left in a discharged state for a while as sulfates will develope on the plates and cook it for good.

she does not know that i have farang connections in the area and think it will be fun to meet you guys with her as a surprise 55. I will get a simm card for my phone when i get to bkk so will be able to communicate that way and by email too as will have my laptop. she has highspeed at home and at work too. she mentioned she might get and send me a simm card by mail. will i know my phone number then? or do i find that out when i register it? not sure what to do in that area. it would be nice to know the number in advance to arrival as would help us rendevous in bkk at the train station but then she is to look for a convenient place to meet there now as she is in bkk and then let me know what/where it is. i have been at the station but have no memory of any particular place to meet there. see you on email.......... ly

I have a couple of big bikes, the best Mechanic in all of Buriram is situated in Krasang, he knows his stuff, and you will not get ripped off, h e l l he rebuilt my bike for 12,000 Baht, it is now like brand new again, His name is Moo, Krassang is half way from Buriram to Surin, if you E-Mail my mate at [email protected] he will give you the guys tel number, as i am in UK at the moment, i have taken my bikes various places in the 12 years i have been in Buriram, and most try to rip you off or make a complete cock up, this is the guy to see.

I have a couple of big bikes, the best Mechanic in all of Buriram is situated in Krasang, he knows his stuff, and you will not get ripped off, h e l l he rebuilt my bike for 12,000 Baht, it is now like brand new again, His name is Moo, Krassang is half way from Buriram to Surin, if you E-Mail my mate at [email protected] he will give you the guys tel number, as i am in UK at the moment, i have taken my bikes various places in the 12 years i have been in Buriram, and most try to rip you off or make a complete cock up, this is the guy to see.

tc i wrote to your friend... cc below

HELLO Khundan

THE NOTE ABOVE FROM THAICOON YOUR FRIEND.

CAN YOU GIVE ME THE PHONE NUMBER FOR Moo, Krassang?

I NEED TO HAVE A SUZUKI MOTOR BIKE REPAIRED

FOR MY GIRLFRIEND.

THANKS

PS I WILL BE IN BURIRAM IN A FEW WEEKS.

//edited at posters request.

Edited by Totster

HELLO Khundan

FOR MY GIRLFRIEND.

THANKS

while on line i think someone from Miami area tried to chat me but i was not smart enough to figure what was going on ... if you read this... post here and i will make contact directly... i am still trying to get used to thaivisa... quite the program!!!

HELLO Khundan

FOR MY GIRLFRIEND.

THANKS

while on line i think someone from Miami area tried to chat me but i was not smart enough to figure what was going on ... if you read this... post here and i will make contact directly... i am still trying to get used to thaivisa... quite the program!!!

Had an e-mail from Dan, Moos number is 085 017 3492 , Yourself and Dan are from the same part of the world, Ithink Dan is from Miami area. good if you meet up, i hope to be in Buriram October time.