Haze in northern Thailand continues to resolve

webfact

Northern haze continues to resolve

BANGKOK, 23 March 2015 (NNT) – The haze situation in the northern region is resolving with less particulate matter registered, says PCD Director-General.

The Director-General of the Pollution Control Department (PCD) Wichien Jungrungruang today said the current haze situation in the northern provinces is on recovering, with a reduced small particulate matter value (PM10) registered today especially in Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, and Phayao province. This reduction came after the mitigation operations performed by many agencies.

He said that today is the first operating day of the Central Haze Situation Monitoring Center, established by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, reporting directly to the Prime Minister.

The air conditions today in the northern provinces range from good levels to health affected levels, with the PM10 value registered at 18-163 micrograms per cubic meter. The PM10 value at Mae Sod District in Tak province registered at 133 micrograms per cubic meter, while the value at Mueang District in Mae Hong Son registered at 163 micrograms per cubic meter, which still exceeds the standard level.

Meanwhile, the ozone level today registered at 69-102 parts per billion (ppb) with the value exceeding the standard levels at Chang Phueak subdistrict in Chiang Mai province.

The Pollution Control Department will still be closely monitoring the situation and asks the public to refrain from burning to prevent the accumulation of particulate matter in the air.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-23 footer_n.gif

1. there's a slight breeze which helps

2. at least this morning, it wasn't bone dry, humidity was up to 55%, which I presume is ahead of the storms predicted for Tuesday; my understanding is the more moist the air, the less the pollution.

They'll claim credit for being on top of it when it storms (presuming the weather forecast is right) for the next 3 days as well no doubt.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is getting better because the wind turned.

Spraying 2 time per day is not enough.

They should be spraying 24/7 !

Then if the haze clears they can say it helped.

Taking credit for something they didnt do anything about, what a ridiculous bunch of fools but not surprising at all ....

1. there's a slight breeze which helps

2. at least this morning, it wasn't bone dry, humidity was up to 55%, which I presume is ahead of the storms predicted for Tuesday; my understanding is the more moist the air, the less the pollution.

They'll claim credit for being on top of it when it storms (presuming the weather forecast is right) for the next 3 days as well no doubt.

... well, i certainly did give credit to the turned and stronger wind too but obviously we were wrong because:

> ... This reduction came after the mitigation operations performed by many agencies.
He said that today is the first operating day of the Central Haze Situation Monitoring Center, established by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, reporting directly to the Prime Minister. ...<

Any doubts left ...?

Having lived in the clean air of Bangkok I still feel compassion with those in Northern Thailand. Especially those with respiratory problems and the young/old need to take extra care.

I just stumbled over an almost 120 years old vision of how things would be twenty years later. Unfortunately we're still dreaming only.

The city of the future, and not very distant future, will have no trolley poles

or wires and no horses. All movements will be on rails by silent air motors or
by boneless carriages, equally silent. All pavements will be asphalt. Unlimited
light will be as cheap as unlimited water is today. No coal wilt be delivered at
private homes and no ashes taken from them. With no horses, no coal, and no
ashes, street dirt will be reduced to a minimum. With no factory fires and no
kitchen or furnace fires, the air will be as pure in the city as in the country.
Trees will have a chance. Houses will be warmed and lighted as easily and
cheaply as they are now supplied with water. A city will be a pretty nice place
to live in when the first twenty years of the twentieth century are passed.
—The Philadelphia Press, July, 1896.

Why do they continue to call it HAZE when it is clearly "SMOG" which is "POLLUTION"

They are all worried about their "KICK BACKS" from visitors.

Hope the pay the final price of them &/or their families getting cancer.

Gimbo