Going "upstairs" At Suvarnabhumi

nostrel

surely we will all be taking the lift to departures to catch a taxi rather than the 3kilometres to the taxi compound? 100 metres is closer than 3kilometres. its a no brainer ,that shuttle bus will be empty .

example =load bags onto trolley ,locate lift-enter- press button ,exit lift -exit door and flag down taxi going back empty driver happy to get a fare .

surely we will all be taking the lift to departures to catch a taxi rather than the 3kilometres to the taxi compound? 100 metres is closer than 3kilometres.
I suspect that at the departure level there will be security guards with shotguns to prevent taxis from picking up passengers. All right, perhaps without shotguns.

--------------

Maestro

Nope ....Doubt it.. :D Shuttle bus jobbi to and from the TRAVEL CENTRE :D

According to the article in Bangkok Post today(Aug.31) they will have a place at the airport for taxis and call them in from the parking area as they are needed. :o:D:D

This I find funny. Aren't they pretty much ALWAYS needed at a busy airport?

The last few times I took a taxi at from the arrival terminal at Don Muang, a security guard walked to the driver's window, had a short conversation, and handed the driver a form from a notebook.

Never saw money exchange hands, looked almost like it was a citation, but the drivers didn't seem plussed.

Nope ....Doubt it.. :D Shuttle bus jobbi to and from the TRAVEL CENTRE :D

According to the article in Bangkok Post today(Aug.31) they will have a place at the airport for taxis and call them in from the parking area as they are needed. :o:D:D

This I find funny. Aren't they pretty much ALWAYS needed at a busy airport?

Should be able to give a more precise report on the situation when hopefully I hit the ground around 3-30pm on Friday afternoon 29th September....TG 917 from .. :D

I have been doing that at Don Muang for years without any problem. The beauty of it is that you

get into a meter taxi set at starting price of 35 baht as opposed to buying a 350 baht voucher from those robbing xxxxxxxs on the ground floor.

Never seen that 350B voucher at DM. If you pick up a taxi from the rank outside on the ground floor, you have to pay an airport surcharge but it's not 350B

The last few times I took a taxi at from the arrival terminal at Don Muang, a security guard walked to the driver's window, had a short conversation, and handed the driver a form from a notebook.

Never saw money exchange hands, looked almost like it was a citation, but the drivers didn't seem plussed.

Was it the arrival or departure terminal? If you take the taxi from the departure terminal, you'll experience the guard routine. No bribe, but the guard's noting down the taxi's registration, taking the driver's ID/license and enquiring about the destination, which all he writes down and hands a copy to the driver.

This is just for security reason, just in case.................

Guardian

Looking at the link to the official airport website, it seems as though you will be able to pick up a "limousine" from straight outside the terminal, but will have to catch the shuttle bus to get a "public taxi". Are the limousines owned by the airport authority? I can see a lot of tourists arriving who will be desperate to get to their hotels after a long flight, who will just end up paying the overpriced limousines rather than face the inconvenient bus plus taxi option. Is this maybe what they are hoping for?

300M?

I can't wait to see what the indutious Thais will come up with to overcome this oversight and make it work out fine for their guests.

Say what you will, I think Thailand gets 'er done on the street level despite whatever spitballs the top floor is flinging.