Shop selling fake plants (other than Index)

konisaan

I'm after reasonably realistic looking leafy pot plants. I've seen some at Index but I suspect if there is a shop specializing in these elsewhere, prices would be substantially lower.

I don't suppose there are any at Kamtien market?

Edited by konisaan

I got some from Central Festival (good choice of plants) and Baan and Beyond, but Index has the biggest range by far. I searched high and low but couldn't find anywhere locally with a big range and quality. For bulk plants, I ended up buying from China - a good couple of hundred dollars, but they look fantastic. You can get cheaper ones, but they don't look real at all. Most of the greenery and plants/flowers I have are very realistic, visitors are always surprised when I tell them that they're fake, but they didn't come cheap; the way I looked at it was I'm only going to buy them once.

For realistic you need plastic, rubber and PU latex, definitely no silk.

Had a look at the range at Index. Prices go from 3,000 for a waist height bush and for a head height shrub, 6,000 plus. Quality was variable. I didn't fancy some of the pots they came in (didn't seem to be any way to remove the pots they came with) and the mulch looked quite fake in a lot of cases. I think it would be preferable if you could choose your own pots.

Had a look at the range at Index. Prices go from 3,000 for a waist height bush and for a head height shrub, 6,000 plus. Quality was variable. I didn't fancy some of the pots they came in (didn't seem to be any way to remove the pots they came with) and the mulch looked quite fake in a lot of cases. I think it would be preferable if you could choose your own pots.

I bought pots a bit bigger (some a lot bigger) than the ones they came in, and broke one pot up to get it into a smaller one of my own choosing. The mulch does look fake, you need to grab a bag of real mulch or potting mix or even white pebbles to make it look real. The quality does vary, and you tend to get what you pay for most of the time, but some of the expensive ones aren't the best.

The best plan is don't be in too much of a hurry, wait until you find the perfect ones and look often. The stock turnover seems quite rapid in both Central and Homepro (less so in Baan And Beyond) and they rarely get the same ones in when they restock - if you see one you want grab it.

There is nothing such as an indoor plant, only those that are more tolerant of the stresses of being inside, and few appreciate air-conditioning.

Keeping actual indoor plants healthy in this environment may not be as easy as some make it appear.