What's my handicap ? Slope ratings etc wanted ....

SurinBeach

Forget about golf societies and their BOGUS inaccurate handicap systems. If you want to have an OFFICIAL handicap recognised worldwide ( CONGU and other systems used by golf societies are not recognised worldwide), and based on the USGA handicap system, now used universally by national golf associations, then go to the Thailand golf association web site, change the language to English and select handicap membership. All the information you need to join is there. You don't have to worry about course or slope ratings as they are built into the TGA web site. Once you are a member you just login and input your scores for the course you played, the tees you played from and the name of your marker. TGA review handicaps towards the end of each month. An example of CONGU handicaps etc not being recognised is, say you want to play in Phuket golf week or Pattaya week of golf etc. To enter you must have an OFFICIAL handicap and be able to provide proof of that. Golf society handicaps are not accepted at these amateur tournaments. Enjoy your golf.

Again I stand corrected and very pleased to be enlightened. However, I am a member of two golf clubs in Thailand and BOTH use HandicapMaster and CONGU. My handicap from these has been accepted anywhere I have played in the world. That said, I am interested to find out more with regards to the information you have provided, so I will certainly check it out. Thanks.

Mikosan, your CONGU and Handicapmaster handicaps might be accepted by other golf societies or social golf clubs in the world, and at other Thai golf courses, but if you were to play in an event played strictly under the rules of golf (e.g. Centara Masters at Hua Hin), they most certainly would not be. Also be aware that every golf club in Thailand is a separate entity and they all use a variety of handicap systems, and most do not take into account course or slope rating. Unlike golf clubs in the majority of countries, Thai golf clubs have no affiliation with the National Association here. The only way to have an OFFICIAL golf handicap in Thailand is for individuals to become handicap members of the TGA. Personally I think it's ludicrous, because it's wide open to falsified cards being input to the system so handicaps can be easily manipulated. I also think that those golf clubs that do have memberships are not doing the right thing by their members by not conducting weekly member competitions. After all that's why we join a golf club, for the competition under the rules of golf every Saturday & Sunday, not just to save a few baht on green fees during the week. All golf clubs with members in the UK, Europe, USA, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, South America and elsewhere are ALL affiliated with their national golf associations, and all club competitions are played strictly under the rules of golf and they ALL use the USGA handicap system, which is the most accurate system available. In all these cases, the clubs submit players scores to the National Association by uploading a file over the internet and handicaps are automatically adjusted daily. The whole purpose of using the USGA system is that to maintain a certain handicap you have to be consistent. The USGA system takes into account the national associations course rating, the clubs daily course rating, and also looks at the 5 nearest courses to the course you played. By doing this weather conditions for the day are then able to be taken into account as well. You're most likely wondering how the hell I know all this? In my previous country (Thailand is now home) I was a member of my national Association, as well as being a former match committee member, club captain & club president & an accredited R & A Golf Rules Official. These were items that in these positions that were dealt with on a daily basis. Just by way of information, it would be quite simple to start up member competitions at golf clubs in Thailand. All the members would have to do is firstly agree that they would like weekly comps, elect a President, Club Captain and Match Committee. The President and captain would approach club management to have certain times blocked out on the booking sheets each Sat & Sun. Each member would be registered with the TGA, the Match Committee would decide what event to play, stroke, stableford etc and at the completion of the day, the club captain would input ALL the scores to the TGA. Official handicaps in place, no need for CONGU or any other inaccurate handicap system anymore.

very informative, I want to run competitions in our area and I have a couple of questions if you don't mind?. we play on Wednesdays here why do you say

sat/sun for the comps we used to play competitions 4 or 5 days a week in my old country and all were recognised as comps by the golf assoc. in Australia no matter what day they were played on.

and can a small club send handicaps to TGA

thanks in advance

jewell49, The reason I say sat/sun is because in OZ they are the 2 main days that most members play their competition golf. Not all golf clubs have daily competitions for their members and visitors. Although most do run Open Days, which are mid week competitions, but only 1 or 2 days per week. In Sydney all the clubs used to communicate to each other what days they wished to run an Open Day, and if it coincided with a nearby club, they would change so that club did not lose players from their field. Anybody can be a member of the TGA. If your club wishes to utilise their website for calculating handicaps, then all that is required is for each of your members to register as Handicap Members of the TGA, and once membership numbers have been received by the members your club can start submitting their score cards. Just remember though, TGA only review handicaps once per month, usually towards the end of the month. Membership is only a few hundred baht per year. All details can be obtained from the TGA web site.

Edited by TigerandDog

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...