Chinese Z visa in Bangkok

I'm in the USA (American) and have accepted a job offer in China. I can either go to Los Angeles and process the visa (4 days) or get the letterhead adjusted and apply in Bangkok so that I'm able to spend a week with the family (Thai) in Thailand. Doable?

Absolutely, definitely, 100%, no. And if the invitation letter has already been issued, there is no possibility of having it 'adjusted'.

It hasn't been completed so the "adjustment" would be in the form of where the letter would be submitted. I've had two Chinese visas before; one in Bangkok and the other in Los Angeles. My prospective employer emailed me today saying that the "bureau" so it doesn't so long as it's addressed to the right consulate/embassy. Anyone have any personal experience doing a Z visa in BKK lately?

Last time I went to get a business visa from that embassy they were total absolute BASTARDS. Worse embassy I had ever been in. We were treated like total sh*t and it took 3 trips, plus lots of stupid papers they wanted that were not listed on their website. IMHO would get it done in the USA.

I've had two Chinese visas before; one in Bangkok ......

So, think back and reflect on what type of Thai visa you had when you successfully applied for a Z visa in Bangkok. Your Thai visa status is the key!

You may get your Z visa in Bangkok as a non-Thai, non resident. Nobody can predict for sure. I'd bet against it, (and I'd bet big) but that's based on my limited experience

Or they may send you back to your home country because that's the "rules" this week. That would be an expensive bummer.

My recommendation is to look up a visa agency (I use VIP Passport and Visa Services in Houston- or something to that effect- but there are loads of them), Fed-Ex them your paperwork and passport and let them do the legwork at the consulate. They'll tell you right away if you lack anything they need- given their day to day knowledge of the fickle nature of Chinese visa rules and the application of those rules.

I use VIP because my Fortune 500 employer used VIP, and often sent them packages with dozens of passports- and never lost one.

It isn't cheap, but they save me money by not having to travel to a consulate and stay a couple of days if I don't happen to have that extra chopped document from my sponsor company (that I didn't need last time- or any time before that)

Edited by impulse

Unfortunately, can't say on Z visa, but having gotten 6-ish business visas (M,F) from the Chinese consulate in BKK (last on in November), here are my observations:

1. They are a lot better now than they were 1-1.5 years ago.
  2. How much paperwork you need depends on your employment status in Thailand and who invites you to China
    1. If you have a work permit, all you need is (2) below, the work permit and a letter from your employer in Thai confirming your employment and travel dates
    2. If you are being invited by a proper Chinese company, all you need is (1) above and the invitation letter with the company stamp (the stamp and the number on the stamp is important).
    3. If you don't fall into both of the above, expect hassles for more documentation
    4. They will accept printouts (don't need originals) of the above documents for business visas
    5. The consulate in BKK now issues 10-year multi-entry visas for Americans -- last time I didn't even try asking for multiple entry because they didn't issue them before, but they gave me the 10-year visa anyway, which was a nice surprise.
  3. You will need 2 copies of you application; one can be on your own printout of the application form; however, one must be done on the forms available at the consulate -- they take the 4 page application and print it on a single sheet of large paper and fold in half to give 4 pages on a single sheet. So, fill out your form in a printout, then copy to their paper while waiting for your queue number to come up (don't worry, you will have plenty of time to copy it). Recommend to bring your own pen.
  4. Get there before 8:30am; if you don't you will spend several hours waiting for your number to be called, and will be lucky to get out by lunch.

Hopefully, some of the information is useful either to you or others applying for visas in BKK.

• 8 months later...

Hello All.

What if Im in Thailand on a tourist visa and need to get a Chinese Tourist or Business Visa? is this possible? I am a US citizen and have a letter from our Chinese company inviting me and a letter from my US company with my itinerary and that they will be paying for everything. I also have a flight from Shanghai back to LAX and hotel reservation.

Do you all in your past experiences expect this to be a hassle getting a visa from the Chinese consulate in Bak?

Thank you