MacBook Pro - Storage Upgrade.

richard_smith237

Has anyone upgraded their MacBook Pro SSD ?

Computer:

MacBook Pro - Retina (early 2013) - Existing Storage 256 SSD

Issue:

​The existing Storage on my MBP is reaching capacity. Each time I need to perform an activity which requires HD space (i.e. backup my iPhone) I first need to delete some larger files (i.e. Movies) which I'd prefer not to have to do.

I have large Music (70 GB) and Photo (78 GB) libraries which I'd like to keep on my computer, the option of saving these libraries to an external drive doesn't appeal due to risk of loss, added risk of drive corruption etc.

Additionally, the option of saving these Libraries to Cloud Storage doesn't appeal due to download / upload speeds and the fact that I'm often in remote locations without decent connectivity.

Question:

I've looked online and found that its possible to upgrade to a larger capacity SSD - Has anyone in Thailand done this successfully, without issue or glitch?

If so, did you carry out the task personally, or, did you have a trusted service centre (i.e. at Fortune Town or Panthip) carry out the work for you?

Thanks in advance for any constructive assistance and comments...

• Like 1

Buy a NAS and put two HDD in RAID. Buy the one which has DLNA and BT client so u can stream / share your files.

Thanks for the feedback...

This is not really an option due to frequent travel to areas without a reasonable data connection - I'd like everything on the Computer... ideally I'd like to upgrade to a 1TB HD.

^ doable. Use a service centre to maintain warrantee. If you dont use cd bay much - put one HD in there, and another in the existing HD bay. And get a box for the cd drive to use externally.

Very expensive though - you may need to import HDD and accessories.

There's a thread of mine on it somewhere....

It looks like it's pretty straight forward DIY, but beware that the drives are *very* model specific - e.g. MBPr 2012 drives will not work in MBPr 2013 machines. Make sure you get the correct part!

^ doable. Use a service centre to maintain warrantee. If you dont use cd bay much - put one HD in there, and another in the existing HD bay. And get a box for the cd drive to use externally.

Very expensive though - you may need to import HDD and accessories.

There's a thread of mine on it somewhere....

There's no CD bay on a Macbook Pro Retina smile.png

Indeed it doesn't even use a standard 2.5" form factor drive inside... the video I posted above shows the "drive" at the 2:34 mark.

Edited by IMHO

You'll be looking around $700 USD for a 768GB SSD upgrade (part only).

I have the same laptop - I always maintain about 60GB free by having least accessed stuff on a 2TB USB3 drive - I mean, you're not going to be playing music or watching movies all the time. I also have an /Applications folder on there for some of my larger apps - luckily spotlight can launch these no problem.

Using the Card Slot is a great idea... especially the 'flush' SD card which I particularly like.

However, I looked in that already, the maximum SD card sizes are apparently 128 GB and protrude from the laptop - better than nothing for a Photo or Music Library - there is always the risk of loss so they'd require additional backup.

This may actually be the best option rather than risking messing up my computer with a larger SSD.

It looks like it's pretty straight forward DIY, but beware that the drives are *very* model specific - e.g. MBPr 2012 drives will not work in MBPr 2013 machines. Make sure you get the correct part!

Excellent video - thanks - It almost gives me confidence enough to have a go myself !

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The New MacBook air is coming out soon, it has 512 GB - an upgrade may be an option and when ordering do so with an increased internal storage.

The only simple solution thus far is to use the Memory Card Slot... I've purchased a Nifty MiniDrive Retina 13" for my Mac... now I have to also source a 128 GB Micro SD card.

Update:

The New MacBook air is coming out soon, it has 512 GB - an upgrade may be an option and when ordering do so with an increased internal storage.

The only simple solution thus far is to use the Memory Card Slot... I've purchased a Nifty MiniDrive Retina 13" for my Mac... now I have to also source a 128 GB Micro SD card.

The Macbook Pro has been available with 1TB SSD option since 2013 - just saying :)

It is extremely unwise to have your master copy on the drive of a laptop which is regularly in motion/traveling with you. It is suspect to loss/theft/accident as any external accessories. Essential to initially back up to the cloud but instead of regarding the cloud copy as a backup, rather treat the cloud copy as the new master to be updated if and when you have good access to the internet. Now with the master in the cloud you can copy the updated version to an external hard drive immediately afterwards and then carry the hard drive to the locations where data access is not easily available. If either the hard drive or the laptop meet any mishap, your library will be safe.

I bought an off the shelf SSD and stuck it into my old 17" MBP with no hassle at all.

Before doing so create a USB stick Yosemite installer - easy to do, and back everything on the existing internal onto a timemachine for restoring.

Open it up, replace old drive with new. Close and boot from the USB, install OS then restore from the timemachine.

Edited by GooEng

I bought an off the shelf SSD and stuck it into my old 17" MBP with no hassle at all.

Before doing so create a USB stick Yosemite installer - easy to do, and back everything on the existing internal onto a timemachine for restoring.

Open it up, replace old drive with new. Close and boot from the USB, install OS then restore from the timemachine.

Old MBP's used 2.5" drives. Since the "new" MBP's came out in 2012, they use a custom form factor though - 2.5" drives no longer fit.

• Like 1