Do I need to purchase a visa to visit Thailand?

I'm a U.S. citizen who moved from Thailand to Cambodia about 6 weeks ago. I was in Thailand 1.5 years on a Non-Immigrant O visa that was extended with a work permit while I was teaching. I canceled the work-permit and visa by moving to Cambodia to work before the work permit and visa would have expired. I've just extended my one-month business visa in Cambodia to one year. I would like to visit friends in Thailand for a short time--less than two weeks. What do I need to do? Can I travel with just my Cambodian one year visa and US passport (as folks here tell me) or do I need to purchase a visa for Thailand? If I do need to purchase a visa, can I do that at the border at Poipet? What is the cost? Thank you for your assistance!

As I understand it, this would be your first visa exempt entry. I am sure that will be no problem. To be absolutely safe, ensure you have 20,000 baht cash to show on entry, though I very much doubt you will be asked to show it.

For information (unnecessary in your case) if you needed a Thai visa, you would have to get it in Phnom Penh. There is no visa-on-arrival for most nationalities.

• Like 1

A "visa exempt entry" allowing a stay of up to 30 days (extendable by another 30 days at a cost of 1900 Bht. at an immigration office) is available at no cost.

Is this new? I thought it was only 7 additional days that you could get?

• Like 1

As nzexpat said, you'll be fine on a visa exempt entry for 30 days. Just show up to the border and they'll let you through.

I've never been asked for the proof of funds, ever, in my many Thai border crossings, but its always better to have it just in case. Apparently the requirement is cash, not atm slips, not bank statements.

If you take a bus from PP, don't believe the bus reps if they tell you it costs money (though if you enter through Poipet it might be worth paying a few bucks if they can get you through the line faster. I've done it both ways, it was worth it to pay on one occasion, usually I don't. Only trust bus agents, and follow them with your passport, as many many scams abound in Poipet.)

If your bus routes you south through the Koh Kong border crossing, be extra careful of scams. Its a quiet border and very few westerners cross there. If you pay for something and need change made, its possible the person will disappear and you'll never get your change.

Be prepared for possibly extra long bus rides back to PP from BKK when you make your visits. BKK to PP took 20 hours once, much longer than PP to BKK takes. Not always, but it does happen.

A "visa exempt entry" allowing a stay of up to 30 days (extendable by another 30 days at a cost of 1900 Bht. at an immigration office) is available at no cost.

Is this new? I thought it was only 7 additional days that you could get?

Yes, kind of new (a few months ago).

Edited by Tessellation
  • Like 1