Bangkok governor admits mistakes in flood management

webfact

City governor admits mistakes in flood management

25-3-2558-14-02-19-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra today admitted mistakes in flood water management in the city following a freak storm on Tuesday which caused widespread flooding.

He said that because it was in the middle of the dry season, the city administration did not discharge water in various klongs into the Chao Phraya river. Also, he pointed out that the unseasonal rains Tuesday were quite heavy measuring at 60-70 mm while in some parts of the city the precipitation was measured at over 100 mm.

However, he said that officials from the drainage and sewage department were able to pump out floodwater within just 1-2 hours and about three hours in Asoke area.

The governor insisted that the drainage system was capable of handling 60-70 mm precipitation but the amount of rainfalls in Asoke and Ratchadapisek road surpassed 100 mm and, hence, it took longer time for water to be pumped out of the flooded areas.

He insisted that city workers had unclogged most of the drains in the city and had sufficient water pumps as well as spare pumps to cope with flooding.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said he had issued a warning about two weeks in advance about the freak storm. And as far as the city administration was concerned, he said an explanation was required about why there is still flooding problem.

He went on saying that the city administration had always adopted defensive measures to cope with flooding which are insufficient.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/city-governor-admits-mistakes-in-flood-management

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-25

I expect that it was because the water pump people who are paid to sit around doing nothing most days in case needed when it rains were nowhere to be found.

I used to think that this guy was all show and no substance but I take it back... more like a large substance with nothing to show for it.

• Like 1

Wow, a PM who can predict storms 2 weeks in advance! Compare that to the last PM who couldn't predict a flood after the rain had fallen and was working its way down the river system.

These storms (another one in my area of Bangkok this evening) have been in the forecast for over a week, maybe two. In fact, they were late in coming. They were initially predicted for Saturday or Sunday. The general is right to call out these boobs for being unprepared. This is fundamental to a society. Livable conditions. The boobs should pay.

• Like 1

Wow, a PM who can predict storms 2 weeks in advance! Compare that to the last PM who couldn't predict a flood after the rain had fallen and was working its way down the river system.

These storms (another one in my area of Bangkok this evening) have been in the forecast for over a week, maybe two. In fact, they were late in coming. They were initially predicted for Saturday or Sunday. The general is right to call out these boobs for being unprepared. This is fundamental to a society. Livable conditions. The boobs should pay.

The boobs should not pay for their jobs.............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder if govt officials will ever get a flood management program in place. They act like unexpected heavy rain a little before the official rainy season begins is a once in a lifetime event--except it occurs almost yearly and has for hundreds or probably thousands of years. This is the tropics you know.

Yeap, govt officials always have an excuse as to why you are unexpectedly knee-deep (or eye-ball deep) in flood water.

• Like 1

'I'm not an angel to predict weather'
THE NATION

30256772-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok governor takes the blame for Tuesday's flash floods; PM had warned two weeks ago about approaching tropical storm

WHILE fuming from the public and social media griping over the flash flood that paralysed much of the capital on Tuesday, Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra yesterday confessed to failing to take precautionary measures like draining the sewers.

"I admit to the mistake, but heavy rain on this scale was beyond imagination," Sukhumbhand told a press conference at City Hall.

From now on the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) would be fully prepared to deal with off-season rain using other measures.

Thundershowers in the afternoon inundated many business districts such as Rama IX, Sukhumvit and Asoke. Rainwater in some areas of Huai Khwang district was supposed to be quickly removed through BMA's expensive set of giant subterranean tunnels.

Spending hours in traffic jams got commuters angry and they posted blistering attacks against the governor on social networks.

"You can blame me for not warning about the flood, for not being able to save a flooded supermarket, but do not criticise BMA officials.

"Although we miscalculated the situation, we were able to fix it promptly. And if all these are mistakes, I admit it, but no one can make it rain hard or little.

"And no one can guarantee that the heavy flooding will never be repeated, after rain had surged exceedingly," he said.

A reporter's question on whether the same flooding scenario could be expected left Sukhumbhand exasperated.

"I am not an angle who can predict that. I would be willing to answer that if I were one."

In a lengthy defence of the administration, he said Bangkok was a water city, a rainy city.

Prayut blew a fuse

"It's not possible for there to be no flood-risk spots in the capital. You need to live on a hill to be worry-free about flooding."

The BMA cannot conduct flood-prevention measures or clear waterways in many privately-owned areas.

The private sector was asked to cooperate with the BMA in performing anti-flood operations, while the public was asked not to worry about flooding.

The BMA had collaborated on the problem with the government and would continue doing so for the long run.

"In the coming wet season, the BMA will work closely with the government," he added.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha blew a fuse over the flash flood, saying he had warned two weeks ago that a tropical storm was coming that would bring heavy rainfall.

He said he would find out which agencies would be held responsible.

He was also checking with the BMA to determine why the drainage had not gone smoothly, noting that it was the culture of government agencies to perform their duties passively.

The National Council for Peace and Order will look at the issue as a whole to see how to prevent flooding completely in the future.

Residents in the North should watch out for rain and floods in the next few days when the tropical storm moves in their direction, he added.

Sukhumbhand's spokesman Wasan Meewong asked the public and cyber citizens to consume news about flooding and causes of flooding rationally, not emotionally.

"Flood photos are posted and distributed widely during inundations, but not post-flood photos," he said.

The drainage capacity in the capital was 60 millimetres per hour. Any downpour beyond that would trigger a flash flood.

"To solve the problem drastically, underground sewer pipes need to be replaced with larger sizes," he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Im-not-an-angel-to-predict-weather-30256772.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-26

With any government employee....including governors there should be a 3 strike rule and then their out. No point in employing people who are not smart enough to do their job.

• Like 1

That supermarket got flooded very fast, but nobody came up the idea to block that drain which was causing the flooding. Lack of education? An upsidedown table with some weight on it would have stopped this.

• Like 1

It is amazing..... but then again TIT

The last 6 dry months the People of Bangkok have used the drains as their personal garbage dump. you see all the street vendors are using that "hole in the ground, where garbage goes away"

If the Governor had been a little clever.... cheesy.gif i know... pun intended

there has been like two major warnings about this.... in Europe they would have started to check out drainage, using fire brigade, pump water into system to see it working and not being blocked....

But here...

Lets pray to Buddha and hope there will not be any rain this year.

wai2.gif

• Like 1

In my opinion, Sukhumbhand is a sincere and hard working politician. Much more so than others. He admitted to mistakes. The heavy rain can certainly be considered a 'force majeure' and, therefore, beyond the control of us mere mortals. Prayuth is quick to dole out criticism but not receptive to any at all. If I were Sukhumband, I would resign and tell Prayuth to run the whole country as he sees fit. Prayuth believes he has a solution for each and every one of Thailand's problems. Are the floods the problem of too much democracy?

• Like 2

So effectively NOTHING was learned by the last major flooding. This goes beyond mere incompetence it's a farce of the highest order and yet the worse case scenario is being transferred to another department.

I would use the word 'Morons' but that would be berating the intelligence of a moron.

los angeles is bangkok's sister city.

all they have to do is ask what to do...

just like copying the answers off the persons test sitting next to you... so it should be easy for them...

http://dpw.lacounty.gov/lacfcd/

"The Flood Control District encompasses more than 3,000 square miles, 85 cities and approximately 2.1 million land parcels. It includes the vast majority of drainage infrastructure within incorporated and unincorporated areas in every watershed, including 500 miles of open channel, 2,800 miles of underground storm drain, and an estimated 120,000 catch basins."

Ravaged by flood, Tops Sukhumvit 19 remains closed (PHOTOS)
By Coconuts Bangkok

flood6_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Tops Supermarket located on the basement level of Robinson Sukhumvit remains closed after the whole place was trashed by a flash flood Tuesday.

Central Food Retail said today they plan to reopen the market, but only after it has been sufficiently cleaned, inspected and determined to be safe.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/26/ravaged-flood-tops-sukhumvit-19-remains-closed-photos

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-26

In my opinion, Sukhumbhand is a sincere and hard working politician. Much more so than others. He admitted to mistakes. The heavy rain can certainly be considered a 'force majeure' and, therefore, beyond the control of us mere mortals. Prayuth is quick to dole out criticism but not receptive to any at all. If I were Sukhumband, I would resign and tell Prayuth to run the whole country as he sees fit. Prayuth believes he has a solution for each and every one of Thailand's problems. Are the floods the problem of too much democracy?

You might be right.. I can't say I know enough about the man. He seemed ok enough in my book. However this is something they could work on before. Of course he can't supervise it all but still its important to be pro active with this.

It is amazing..... but then again TIT

The last 6 dry months the People of Bangkok have used the drains as their personal garbage dump. you see all the street vendors are using that "hole in the ground, where garbage goes away"

If the Governor had been a little clever.... cheesy.gif i know... pun intended

there has been like two major warnings about this.... in Europe they would have started to check out drainage, using fire brigade, pump water into system to see it working and not being blocked....

But here...

Lets pray to Buddha and hope there will not be any rain this year.

wai2.gif

To be fair, with the BMA moving forward along a road to clean drains, looking behind them the good people of Bangkok are busy clogging up those drains again.

It would seem a bit of 'attitude adjustment' is in order, like we have in most western Countries.

Edited by rubl

As some already wrote, rain was exceptionally heavy last night. I left the office along RamaIV opposite Lumpini Park about 8PM when rain had stopped, but arriving at BTS Victory Monument rain had started there (or was still going on) and I had to wait till past 9PM before it relented. Took a motorcy to Nakhon Chaisri,. Not much water, only in front of the Excise Department and Ratchawat Market 10cm of water on the roads.

I think I'm getting a wee bit confused.

A few days ago we had heavy rain in Bangkok around 3AM (woke me up) Nothing really exceptional I though. Tuesday afternoon heavy, but not really exceptional again I thought. Wednesday morning a topic with "BKK gov assuring officials hard at work to ease flooding", Wednesday afternoon "admits mistakes".

Nothing yet on the really heavy rain we had around 8:30 PM yesterday?

Ravaged by flood, Tops Sukhumvit 19 remains closed (PHOTOS)

By Coconuts Bangkok

flood6_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Tops Supermarket located on the basement level of Robinson Sukhumvit remains closed after the whole place was trashed by a flash flood Tuesday.

Central Food Retail said today they plan to reopen the market, but only after it has been sufficiently cleaned, inspected and determined to be safe.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/26/ravaged-flood-tops-sukhumvit-19-remains-closed-photos

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-26

And absolutely no discount for flood damaged items. In fact, they'll probably raise the price.

Is that the same govenor with that futsal- stadium?

I thought all blame for all floods in the last decade was on YS?

Same governor who couldn't manage to complete the futsal stadium on time. In part as moving from the Abhisit government to the Yingluck government the new government slashed the government provided funding somewhat.

The flooding also caused delay, but I won't blame Ms. Yingluck for that.

people entrusted with responsibility should attend to these duties effectively and efficiently.