Restored Jeeps?

ThaiWai

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You don't mean the colourful ones with stuff written on them do you?

I think he means the old military ones.

Ok, I dont see many around at all myself, mainly just the idiots in the rented crap from Patong or the Safari Land Rovers.

Ok, I dont see many around at all myself, mainly just the idiots in the rented crap from Patong or the Safari Land Rovers.

Used be dozens of them from Siam Safari up fo sale on a grass lot left side of Chaofa West. Look like landies but all mechanicals Toyota.

I have seen one in Chiangmai while I was at a garage with my car. Looks to me like a real original M-151 Jeep.

Only thing modified seem to be the vacuum line they installed for the whippers, but I am not an expert.

post-92454-0-87150500-1427331675_thumb.j

post-92454-0-82470700-1427331701_thumb.j

I have seen one in Chiangmai while I was at a garage with my car. Looks to me like a real original M-151 Jeep.

Only thing modified seem to be the vacuum line they installed for the whippers, but I am not an expert.

A couple of years ago they were being sold in Vietnam for about US$8000. They appear to be re-worked M151's...If I'd had the money I would have driven one home to Phrae! smile.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

These are look-alike Jeep CJ series. CJ stands for Civilian Jeep. I had a CJ7 about 30 years ago in the Uk. Was left hand drive and I bought it very cheap to haul my boat.

post-46546-0-36558600-1427366488_thumb.j

post-46546-0-52683000-1427366915_thumb.j

Jeep company started from the original Willy's GP (General Purpose).

I suspect their origin in Thailand is from ex Thai army surplus stock. Lot's of them have been sold off from the army.

Plenty been advertised here on Thaivisa over the years ..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/267146-jeep-cj6-for-sale/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/267149-army-jeep-cj6-for-sale/

Here's my fully restored Willy's 1959 CJ3B in Chiang Mai.

It was a complete piece of junk when I bought it for 80,000 baht (with book).

6 months work and a fresh Japanese Toyota motor mated to Daihatsu gearbox (5 speed with 4WD) with adapter plate. Lots of cutting and welding and importing bits and pieces from the US.

Only thing I would like to add is power steering so I can put bigger wheels and tires...these little 5 inch tires are scary...as are the drum brakes.

Top speed is maybe 70kph, but I stay mostly at 50kph. It is very capable off road, but I rarely take it off road. It is just for a bit of fun.

post-21832-0-40338800-1427538914_thumb.j

• Like 2